NORTH CAROLINA STATE FARM POLICY HOLDERS & TRACK AFFICIANODOS | FerrariChat

NORTH CAROLINA STATE FARM POLICY HOLDERS & TRACK AFFICIANODOS

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by MASR04, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As of January 1st, 2014:

State Farm Auto Policies have added an exclusion that if you are on a track or a drag strip and are traveling at a high rate of speed that during an accident full coverage does not apply and state minimums regarding liability insurance only. 30/60/25 on State Mins...

Just wanted to pass this on..

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just assume that all major insurance carriers are not going to cover you on the track.

There are specialty insurers that do; not cheap and high deducible. But, at least your then covered. Otherwise, in an accident situation, you'll have to drag the carcass out to the nearest road and hope your normal insurer doesn't notice the nearby track. :)

3. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Knew a guy that was racing show room stock SCCA years ago. Car was financed and insured as a street car. Wrecked pretty badly at track....towed out to a public road with very large drop off and sent rolling (after peeling off numbers)

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Interesting. I'm actually surprised anything is covered at all.

5. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Insurance fraud at its best. I'd hate to get caught doing that.

6. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Oh Yeah. I am not condoning just reporting. I am sure you know the guy.

7. blaze

blaze Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Yes, most carriers have exclusions against paying out 1st party coverage for any track incidents. I have a friend whose wife had a wreck at the drag strip and the other person died. Allstate paid on the 3rd party liability claims but refused to repair her car.

8. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #8 jerhofer, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This wreck happened almost 20 years ago. The car was nearly new at the time and the owner collected a check for around $120K from his insurance company. More importantly, he had some bruises but no other injuries. BTW, the hood and driver's door opened normally. Porsche builds tough cars. He was going into turn 5 at Road America when he dropped his two right side tires off the track, spun and hit the retaining barriers on the other side of the track with the right rear. He hit the barrier so hard that he shoved it back about an inch or so causing the next barrier to act like a can opener on the side of the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    I suspect some uneven tire wear on the right rear.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Are you sure this applies if an instructor is in the vehicle with the driver? Previously, an HPDE event is o.k, with State Farm because it is absolutely not wheel-to-wheel racing and has a high degree of instructor participation.

11. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well they recently wrote a check for well over 300K to one of my customers after a very lengthy back and forth. I'm sure this was the "last nail" as it were.

12. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My understanding is that effective January 1st of 2014 State Farm reworded their policy to state that if you were in excess of 'normal speed' it would not be covered. This is specific to NC and 'normal' could be described as 70 mph or less..

Previously, it may have been covered due to the language in the policy. But now there is specific wording to exclude anything involving excess speed - instructor or not.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as it came up at work this week and since I know many have State Farm coverage..

Hope this helps

13. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #13 ProRallyCodriver, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Work at an exotic, sports and luxury collision repair shop. Have seen the regular major insurance cmpanies payout on many accidents that occured at the track. Most have clauses exculding 'timed events' but since HPDE's and many instructor track days aren't timed, you are covered. How StateFarm is going determine 'high rate of speed' sounds very suspect to being subjective in their favor.

SnakeFarm is quickly becoming the worst for being cheapskates often leaving our customers paying the difference (exotic and/or prevailing labor rates, frame machine jig rental, their network of cheapo remanufactured, junkyard and aftermarket parts that don't fit, .....) all the other major insurance pays.

14. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There's a reason behind everything sir. Each case is different.

15. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Cryptic post. Fixed it for you.

The recent trend for StateFarm is to ignore industry and manufacturer standards to cut costs that every other insurance company is paying. Would you want your wife driving a car repaired by a Statefarm estimate written to save them $ or would you want her driving it repaired to manufacturer standards? The gap between them is growing.