ELSIE A Story for the Ages | FerrariChat

ELSIE A Story for the Ages

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by MASR04, Mar 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 MASR04, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Was sincerely irritated with my first legitimate Ferrari problem over the weekend; therefore, decided to take a drive after work on Monday. Clear skies, Hawaiian style sunset and 70 degree temps – it was a no-brainer!!!

I began having warm re-start difficulties. Fortunately, when driving her appropriately (running through the gears at high RPM & adequate air flow) Sandy’s temperature remains in the upper quarter on the low side of both engine and oil. Therefore, she never really gets too hot. This is why I’ve never experienced repeated issues when driving for a bit, stopping off and restarting. Obviously, I know that an accumulator is in my future. Allassandra = Sandy for short

I’d been putting someone off that I committed money to for a local high school sports boosters program. As a God fearing young man, I immediately went to the bank yesterday, pulled out the money and delivered it after work. Said many prayers and now with my new found wisdom – hoping that I do not experience this but on rare occasions. If that isn’t the case, looks like I will be spending $96 on an accumulator or a little more on a check valve. Things could be a lot worse!

Since you’re up to speed, let’s move on to the good stuff. Wilmington, North Carolina is unlike any place in the world. We offer so much, yet there is a Mayberry appeal and you never know who you may meet while out an about since the movie industry is so prevalent.

Even as a city, there are still many scenic and rural area’s just several miles over the bridge. My family has a cabin approx. 20 miles west along the Black River and I know many roads well which have become an escape when automotive therapy is needed.

I can spend half a day racking up close to 150 miles or more on back twisty roads with beautiful scenery of farms, rivers, and open land as far as the eye can see with that old timey feel which soothes the soul. All of this occurs while remaining less than 15 miles away from town. Pit-stopping at hole in the wall gas stations that serve the best hot dogs you’ve tasted or Sun Drop in glass bottles..

On one of my routes, there’s an exquisite red barn straight out of a movie which cannot do anything less than catch your eye. Yesterday, I decided to stop and knock on the door. Interested in receiving permission for a photo opportunity and mindful of respecting another’s property; no one answered. With plausible deniability in hand after my attempt, I positioned myself for Road & Track next cover photo.

At this point a dog starts to bark and waddle in front of his owner. She was a pleasant looking elderly lady who was on the phone and I could hear the majority of her conversation as she said her goodbyes. I rehearsed in my head what I was about to say and how I planned on falling over the sword and begging for mercy after I clearly trespassed. No question about it, this is shotgun country where no one asks questions.

As we got closer to one another, I extended my hand, put on my best smile, introduced myself, all while examining her eye and body language in fear that my act was transparent. She replied, “I’m Elsie and who are you!”

The next words out of my mouth were a complex intricate paragraph that flattered her property, the red barn and the fact that I had always wanted to stop by after passing many times before. It was the equivalent of the movie, The Christmas Story, when Ralphie rehearsed his speech of what he wanted that year.

She responded and modestly admitted that the property wasn’t just hers, but the families. Her father ran a saw mill across the street where he later began fabricating the sides for trailers which hauled wood chips to the nearby paper mill. They also had a working farm that focused on mules and horses. Therefore, this red barn was once working and still is as it houses her horses and mules along with equipment to mow the property in the summer.

Instantly, I was fascinated and asked to know more. We chatted a few more minutes, said our pleasantries and I left her with; “I’ll be stopping by to chat more”. With a “Please do”, from her, I walked away with a smile and sense of fulfillment one can only receive after a unique and enriching encounter with another human being.

There are tennis courts on the farm and when I go back, I plan on asking her about that along with her succession planning for the farm.

*Anyone wanting to set up a Weekend Trip, I will be more than happy to put together a Rally of these scenic roads and an enjoyable afternoon or morning which would take us from Coast2Country & back to the Coast..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Sean.. Very nice write up! Love the story and hopefully when my car gets back down here, we can take a ride up and you can introduce me. Can you imagine sitting on her wrap around drinking carolina sweet tea and just listening to her stories. Sounds fun.

Thank you for sharing!

3. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

You're a southerner already - Love it..

Wait til you catch yourself saying, 'Ya'll'.