Greensboro Cars and Coffee | FerrariChat

Greensboro Cars and Coffee

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by jerhofer, May 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #1 jerhofer, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My wife and I made the hour long drive to Greensboro for their Cars and Coffee this past Saturday. And it was well worth the trip. Not as many cars as Charlotte but a similar diversity. A couple 348's (mine included) a couple 355's and a 550 represented the Ferrari brand.

There was a 1958 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce there that was spectacular. Only 178 of these cars were built and he found it in Switzerland. I met the owner who turned out to be a Porsche guy. As I have been in PCA since 1978, we soon struck a conversation about Porsche's, especially 356's, of which he has four. Turns out he knows a good friend of mine from Indiana.

A friend of his at the show had the most interesting car there. It was a 1958 Rambler American with the body installed on a 2010 Mini Cooper chassis!! And it was very well done. He did this car as a commission and will soon be presenting it to the new owner. I am told his first attempt at this conversion was equally stunning. He looks for Mini Cooper's that have been hit by a tree limb and totaled as he needs nothing from the chassis up. Interestingly the "Nash Cooper" actually weighs about 40 lbs less than the Mini donor car. This guy also makes very detailed scale models of F1 cars where everything on the car is made by him by hand. I have been invited to the Alfa owner's home to see his Porsche's and then maybe to visit the Nash guy's shop. Should make for an interesting day.

I also liked this 1959 Mercedes 190SL. Black with red made for a car that really stood out.

The 1936 Plymouth with a rumble seat was very nice as was the 1934 Lincoln sporting a late model Ford modular motor.

English sports cars were well represented as well.

I also liked the Noble.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looked like great fun. Thanks for posting the pictures!

3. nitsud

nitsud Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Great pictures! Thanks for posting them.

That blue Noble looks really cool. I've never seen one of those before.

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    Anyone thinking of going to Greensboro this Saturday?

5. Darkhorse91

Darkhorse91 Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    California
    Full Name:
    Taylor Schaberg
    Thanks for pics! I'll def keep this one in mind coming from Jacksonville looks like it would be well worth the drive.

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Awesome pics! I might have to check this one out sometime!

That Noble was seen in Charlotte a few weeks ago...wonder where he's from.

7. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #7 jerhofer, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saturday was a beautiful day and there was a great turnout. I met a couple Porsche people and sharing some of our experiences took up most of the morning. It all started when I walked up to the owner of a Porsche 944 and commented that it was cool seeing the Euro bumpers on the car. He was surprised I knew about the bumpers but I soon found out that not only did it have the Euro bumpers, it was a Euro car that he bought new in 1985. He had it imported and federalized here so he could save some money and to buy it will less equipment than the US model. It was in fantastic shape especially considering it now has 175K miles.

While we were talking a 944 Turbo track car owner came up and more information was exchanged. Great morning.

I did manage to get some photos before I ran into the 944 guy. I parked next to a 2014 California that was owned by the guy who puts on this event. Beautiful car. A couple rows over I found two more Ferrari's. There may have been more but I only made one round of the cars.

A couple of English cars also caught my attention. The TF1500 was outstanding. I was introduced to its owner so I had the opportunity to compliment him on his car. The MGA nearby was also a very nice car.

The blue Chevy pickup with the pair of carburetors also caught my eye.

This was my second visit to this event and both times I met interesting people and had a great time. I will be back!!

8. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Jerry,

I would love to meet you at Cars & Coffee sometime. That was my red 355 GTB in the first set of pictures you posted from last month. I was there this past Saturday and saw your car but I never found you. I work for the Ferrari Dealer, Foreign Cars Italia so if we don't get together next month at cars and coffee, maybe you can come by the dealership. My number is 336-516-3855... Call me if you make the trip next month. Is your car the 348 that's for sale..?
    Thanks and I look forward to meeting you soon.

Hank Carpenter
    Foreign Cars Italia
    336-516-3865

9. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    That is my 348 for sale. I can let you know if I make it to Greensboro next month. I'll give you a call.

10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I would LOVE to make it up there sometime. When is the next one?

PDG

11. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    It is the third Saturday of each month.

12. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    If the forecast holds, it appears the weather will be great this Saturday for the Greensboro C&C. I plan on being there.