Mars Hill Traffic Court-Best Attorney referral please | FerrariChat

Mars Hill Traffic Court-Best Attorney referral please

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #1 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so the letters have began to come in, and I had an attorney refer me to a Mr. Steve Huff in Mars Hill. But, anyone know which attorney is best for the Mars Hill Traffic Court?

Oh..just headed to Mountain Air on 19 trouper CH Crane says I was going 70 in a 55. Local lore is he would give his Grandmother a ticket. Very professional, just not much give but did say I noted you were nothing but courteous and the prosecutor will usually work with you if he sees that. I am curious about my speed as the RD never went off. I asked twice how fast I was going, and he said "I'm citing you at 70 because anything over requires you appear in court." I thought about politely asking to see the reading, but thought better of it. I felt that I was not going 70.

1-Huffs assistant says may can have this reduced to improper equipment or some other non point offense.

That would be a better outcome, but I am really wondering how SC will interpret this? I do not want a 4 point violation on my record.

Even if dropped to under 10, would SC see the 70 and doc 4 points? Yes, questions to ask attorneys, but the lady at Mr. Huff's office clearly did not know the answers, just said send me money and if any is left, we will refund it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #2 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I opened the letters to review their contents, and was struck by the diverse writing and marketing styles.

1-Should I go with the "Friend" with four children who works late and lives in the mountains?

2-The Real Estate Mortgage Paralegal and interpreter who warns me to be weary of extremely low fees? (For the record, I never am weary or grow tired of low fees, just the results sometimes).

3-The form letter that allows me to save $20.00 if I prepay on line?

4-The lawyer from Boone, whose office is near the Boon Courthouse although I need someone whose office is near the Mars Hill Courthouse? A distance of 69.8 miles.

Not sure..I rotated the pics but still came in sideways.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #3 BT, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    I hired a local attorney for a ticket in Clay county several years ago. It was for doing 70 in a 55 also. He got the ticket changed to a non moving violation of improper equipment. There is an additional improper equipment fee of $50 that gets tacked on to your total that is shown on the ticket (instead of paying $218 you pay $268). I also paid the attorney $175, for a grand total of $443.

Apparently the DA is getting tired of people using this, so they have gotten a little more restrictive lately. How do I know? Well, it just so happens that I received a citation from the great state yesterday on my way to Georgia (also 70 in a 55). I was driving a Camry, and honestly, I thought they were exempted from speeding tickets. Anyway, I digress. I just got off the phone with the DA from Swain county (actually the DA's secretary), and she informed me that I don't need no stinkin' attorney. She was very nice and polite (just like the troopers). I honestly think they could give classes to similar professionals in Florida on how to talk to people without aggravating them. It really makes a difference to me in how I perceive the fine. Anyway, I just have to take an online 4 hour safety class. Then I send in the completion certificate, the original ticket, and a cashier's check made payable to the Swain county clerk's office, and they will change the ticket to improper equipment. Online classes cost about $40, so the total will be around $308.

My suggestion is to call the DA where you got the ticket and ask if they will reduce the ticket to improper equipment because you are a patriotic American with a good driving record, or something similar. I simply told them I was trying to avoid points on my otherwise clean record. YMMV.

:)
    BT

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Improper equip and or a non-point offense will not be seen by insurance or SC.

I never met a DA that would work with you over the phone.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy

I am very persuasive (actually, I think this is just their policy).

:)
    BT

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Might be a good time to ask for a Prayer for Judgement (PJC) ?

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Never use that unless you will not drive in the state for three years.

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  9. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Dave,
    I have been under the impression that if was radar, it must be cited as it's read. If it is a LEO judgement then there is room for what is written. Therefore, this should be easily defensible if my presumption is correct.
    Ray