Beaufort, NC Weekend Oct 17-18 | FerrariChat

Beaufort, NC Weekend Oct 17-18

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by jim94-348, Oct 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 jim94-348, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We are doing the beach trip this year in Beaufort. The last day to register is Oct 10th and I will eliminate the late fee until then if you PM me that you are coming. The last day to get a shirt is Oct 6th at 4:00 PM. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE AN FCA MEMBER TO COME!

This year we are going to mix it up a little bit and trying something a little different. In an effort to keep the cost low so everyone can attend, registration is only $100 per person. This covers your event attire, lunch, rally and the cruise on Saturday. Dinners will be pay as go and extra.

See the attachment or PM me for details.

Event Details:
    Friday-
    6:00 PM Group Dinner (Pay as you go)

Saturday-
    10:30 AM- 12:00 PM Rally (Included)
    12:30 PM- 2:00 PM Catamaran Cruise and Lunch (Included)
    2:00 PM- 4:00 PM Free time to enjoy Beaufort
    6:00 PM Group Dinner (Pay as you go)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    If anyone in the RTP area wants to caravan down to Beaufort on Friday the 17th please PM or email me or post here. I figure Janet and I will leave around noon. Keith

3. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I happened to be down next weekend, I'll be stopping by to check out the rides!

4. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Wish I could make this event! Will try to get down there next year.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  6. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Adam. I sent you a PM. Thanks for posting. Eurofest is a great day for seeing a tremendous range of interesting cars, and I am happy the weather there was as great as it was in Beaufort. We enjoyed a terrific weekend at the beach. Dinners were first rate (pay as you go basis) and we had a great rallye along the water, Catamaran sail with lunch and drinks, and the usual wonderful friendship of the attendees. This event was open to non FCA members, and we hope to see you at an upcoming event.

7. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    It was indeed a great event! It is, of course, amateur of personal taste, but to me much more enjoyable than seeing hundreds of cars in Spartanburg. Always a pleasure to see you and Janet. See you soon in Raleigh.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Glad you had a great time, as did we.

9. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Anyone have pictures to share?

10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Reynolds. Stay tuned...I think Jim has some to post and there may be others.

11. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jim and his wife did a great job organizing the day. It was our first event and we had a great time and met some wonderful people. Looking forward to joining and attending the Nov event. Thanks again!!

12. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    Chris, it was a pleasure meeting you and Terrie this weekend. Welcome to the NC Ferrari club. We hope you will participate and have as much fun as Brigitte and I do. Yes, Jim and Peach do a wonderful job!

13. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Terrific snaps Philippe. Thank you. Chris and Terrie great to meet you. Hope to see everyone at the November dinner at Paparazzi.

14. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Were those pics of the cars lined up taken at the end of Harkers Island? I see the lighthouse and what looks like where a ferry docks in the background. If so, the house we are building/relocating to is very nearby.

15. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes they were. You have a good eye. That is a beautiful place to live. Is land expensive there?

16. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Jim -we have had the land for about 12 years, but it is still amazingly cheap unless you require deep water. While working to finalize our construction loan I learned the killer expense will be flood insurance - good reason to pay it off and take my chances. I plan on installing a lift also, not only for maintenance but in the absurd event we get 14' of water - the elevation the car would be.

17. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lifts are great. I have two and they can make a two car garage a 4 car. The ability to get them out of the flood is an added benefit!

18. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Steve, welcome to the Coast.

As far as insurance are you talking about flood insurance or wind and hail insurance?

I live on the water about 30 minutes west of you (near Emerald Isle) and the Federal flood is inexpensive (as long as you are in a area that qualifies for Federal Flood), but the wind and hail is expensive. Most (if not all) insurance carriers will not underwrite your policy unless you carry the wind and hail (which is done through the State Assigned Risk Pool given you are on the Coast).

Given the number of hurricanes that we have been hit with over the last 20 years, I would caution you on dropping any of the three insurances required (flood, wind hail, and your conventional fire / liability). Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Emily, Bonnie, Dennis, Irene, Isabel then you have the Northeasters that blow in.

If you close in your bottom elevation, this area will not be covered with insurance. What often happens is when you do not have one of the three insurance policies (ie: flood) then your wind and hail will blame the damage on flood and vice versa.

A 14 ft tidal serge (sp?) is not unheard of. I live on the White Oak River-five miles from the Inter Coastal Waterway and I have had 10-12 ft serges.

You are soon about to develop a deep fondness for our Insurance Commissioner who is considering a 25% increase for the coast (on top of the numerous other increases).

The Coast is a beautiful place to live - I would not want to live anywhere else - but it is not cheap.

19. hallsdad

hallsdad Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Cayce, SC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Chris - You mention flood insurance is inexpensive. Well to close on our construction loan we have to have flood insurance...for a whopping $6K annually and were told to expect increases. I almost had a heart attack and it's due to that federal funding disappearing.

We have a very small place on Carolina Beach and it has been very inexpensive to insure from flood...but that's changing too.

We are looking forward to the coastal lifestyle again (we moved from Wilmington to where we currently are). Since I only get to make decisions regarding the bottom level, I'm planning the ultimate mancave including kegerator, urinal, couch/lounge area, auto lift, pinball, etc. Looking forward to meeting you one of these days.

20. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    WOW, that is expensive. The insurance increases have really hurt the real estate market (around here it is mostly the wind and hail that is brutally expensive).

When things settle down, we can meet in Beaufort for a beer.

21. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Flood Ins. is more hassle than it's worth. All due to the BWA enacted in 2012.

Please keep us posted when you come down to CB. There's a few owners down here and I'm trying to recruit more to Wilmington as many approach retirement age.

22. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    If you have a mortgage on any property that is in a FEMA flood zone, your lender will require flood insurance. This is true if the property is on the coast or a low lying inland area. The first thing the lenders do is pull a flood certificate. If you're considering buying a coastal or any property near a creek or river it would be a good idea to check it out beforehand. The seller should be able to tell you if flood insurance is required IF they have a loan on the property.

I do hope to join you all in Beaufort next year!