Looking for a good exterior detailer with clay bar experience | FerrariChat

Looking for a good exterior detailer with clay bar experience

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dragster, Dec 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm picking up a new car soon, and I want to get a detail with clay bar after pick up. I normally wash my own cars, but I don't have experience using a clay bar, so I would like to take it to a detailer. If anyone can offer suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Claying the car is actually very very easy. The Griots clay is really good.
    1. Get and keep the clay wet with Griots Speedshine,
    2. Lightly wet the surface (with Speedshine) to be clayed and gently run the clay over the area.
    3. If it's been a while since the car has been clayed, you'll feel the surface go from slightly rough to silky smooth.
    4. Once smooth, spritz the area again with Speedshine and buff.
    5. Kneed to the clay with Speedshine and go to next area...

3. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Claying is relatively easy but can be time consuming. But rewarding when finished! Be sure to put on a good coat of wax or sealant after you use the clay so you can protect your paint surface.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Claying is fast and easy. Have done my cars several times and it gets easier and faster every time. I would say best practice is to keep surface very wet. It will feel like you are doing nothing, but as already stated the transformation is incredible. Run your hand over the surface before you start and then after you finish that same area. It will be like sandpaper vs polished marble.

I would not bother with Griots, just go to Walmart or wherever and get the kit from Mothers or one of the other mfgs. Have used several and they all do the same thing.

Don't pay someone to do this it is a DIY and you will be glad you did. Only thing you can do wrong is not use enough lubricant.

Let us know how it turns out.

5. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    As stated clay bar is super easy, just takes a lot of time. You could watch some YouTube videos to get up to speed

6. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Oh! Just be sure not to drop it on the ground!!!