Question on property tax from our brothers or sisters in Myrtle Beach SC | FerrariChat

Question on property tax from our brothers or sisters in Myrtle Beach SC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by PATLEW, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I am looking at buying a new ride this week and I had a question regarding property tax in Horry County for exotics. Can anybody tell me the tax rate for your vehicle and give me an idea on value calculation in Horry County. Trying to save money by registering the car in SC using our 2nd home address in North Myrtle Beach. Dealer says he can do it for me having to only pay $300 vs $4000 which sounds good to me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Call North Myrtle property tax office so they can give you the amount.

3. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe my 360 was a little over 1k in May. If you're not considered a primary resident it could be 3 or 4 times more. I know property tax on non-resident is really high.

I'll tell you more or get you phone numbers but you have to tell me what you are buying, send pics and let me drive it.

4. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    LLC in Montana. :)

5. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I can't believe I am saying this but I have a deposit down on a Lamborghini Gallardo bright I mean bright orange and black. Sold the 430 my third Ferrari but the 458 is still over what i am willing to pay maybe in a year . So in the mean time I will try this for a bit. Gated shift to

QUOTE=OUMick;143591147]I believe my 360 was a little over 1k in May. If you're not considered a primary resident it could be 3 or 4 times more. I know property tax on non-resident is really high.

I'll tell you more or get you phone numbers but you have to tell me what you are buying, send pics and let me drive it.[/QUOTE]

6. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    In SC you pay no more than $300 sales tax at time of purchase (from a dealer) or at registration if bought from a private party. BUT FIRST, you pay a yearly personal property tax for the vehicle and then bring that receipt to the DMV. My 2003 360 Spider was taxed at right around $1000 for the first year. I'm in Beaufort County.

7. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Perfect thanks for the information I am going to pursue registering in SC using home address there. Dealer says it can be done so I am going to give it a try.

8. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #8 PATLEW, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a couple I took at the dealer. It is just pending PPI now deposit down.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When you bring it to the beach I'll grab the yellow 360 and we can look like skittles driving down the road.

10. Aaron360

Aaron360 Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gray
    Can't believe you are going to the dark side!!! Just kidding... Good looking lambo.. Let me know when you get it.

11. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Friday and hopefully you will drop me off to pick up

12. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Nice. Looking forward to hearing your impressions on this beautiful car. What are the details on it?
    1 year last week w/ your old 360 btw.

13. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So you fellows get nailed like they do in Virginia. No wonder military retirees live in NC. SC is nasty on taxes. I bought a scotch and soda in Myrtle and choked on the sales tax.

14. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    As it seems I don't keep cars long but thought I would try something else. I am not a big Gallardo fan but this one for some reason caught my eye while I was in the service area one day looking at the Ferrari FF.

Its an 05 gated shift with an aftermarket exhaust that has a switch that makes it very loud. Black interior with orange stitching black wheels, with black calipers. Front end lift, glass engine bay, 2 owner car well documented serviced Lamborghini that I should be able to dump in a year without taking a bath if the right 458 or other car comes along. Other than that it's your basic Gallardo price was right so I could not resist jumping on it. The only negatives on it is the plenum covers are peeling a bit and no second key. Not a big issue and easily repaired if I decide to have them repainted.

I have driven Gallardos many times and the differences are Ferrari is more plush and comfortable better interior finishes Gallardo is tighter and not as rich feeling but purposeful enough as a performance car. I will miss the yellow tach and indicators vs the digital technology in the Gallardo. As far as performance its like comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke engine. Ferrari being the 2 stroke snappy and quick and the Gallardo fast and powerful. Steering in a Ferrari is light and fast the Gallardo is slightly heavy due to the AWD.

The 430 went to a first time Ferrari owner in the San Francisco Area and it was fun getting to know him when he came out to see the car. I was able to see the first time Ferrari driver smile plus he was pretty cool. Its funny my last three Ferraris all went west.

How is the 360 I have not received any texted photos recently from you Falcon Wing? Weather cant be to favorable right now for you.

15. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Nice knowing ya. Doubt you'll be back after playing with that thing!

16. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    In Georgetown county property tax will run about 1% a year of the current vehicle value... Yes sales tax is a flat $300...

17. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Thanks for the comments one last question where in Horry county do you have to go to pay property tax? I was told by the dealer it has to be done in person.

18. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Your car is beautiful FCI Charlotte brought in a 599 that is a real nice car with some great options you should consider to fulfil your wish list. I will be back I am a Ferrari guy at heart.

19. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The tax assessors office - usually at the courthouse - bring your bill of sale - then off to DMV-

20. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    North Myrtle Beach office is off highway 9 behind the Bojangles and convenience store combo by Bell & Bell.

21. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Thanks for the info
    You can't beat $300 tax and property tax rate for Horry county is 6% x 0.2026 = assessment cheap!!!!

Thanks for all the comments I pick it up today.

22. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Thanks for the photos by the way and keep the car away from the curb it will minimize the rash you have acquired. The new wheels look good but I am partial to the starfish or challenge wheels. Glad to hear the car is cheaper to own than your old 348. You should only have to put tires, gas and oil that car it had a fairly new major service and brand new clutch and new roll over valves. Did you address the leak on the piston for the convertible?

23. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I went back to the starfish...the 20/19 were just too big. No curb rash!

Strangely enough, I have not had to top off the fluid in months...its been staying at the same level. Go figure.

I don't have the paperwork from Automotive International on the work they did. (they did the roll over, and capote right?) Do you happen to have it?

24. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #24 PATLEW, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Yes roll over valves and capote unfortunately I thought I had sent a copy to you and recently thrown them out while cleaning up some of my old Ferrari papers. Sorry about that. One was bad but I had all of them replaced as a preventative measure putting the new designed rollovers in. Should be good to go for at least 10 years. Picked up the Gallardo yesterday and I do like it. It gets a little too much attention color and the exhaust is loud so you here it and then bam there it is.

What sucks is right after I purchased it I went with AARON360, who was gracious to deliver me to the dealership in his 458, to another high end car dealer and what do I see a scud that was awesome low priced sub 150k mileage was 26k though owned by Olympic Gold medalist swimmer. They also had a 458 for 168k but it had 68k miles yes 68k in a 458 talk about daily driver.

When I see the guys at AI I will see if they can get a copy of the records for that repair for you.

25. prd575

prd575 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 11, 2012
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Philippe Dorier
    Second!