Possible Move to Asheville | FerrariChat

Possible Move to Asheville

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by bland, Jan 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    I maybe relocating from Oregon to Asheville sometime this year. I have a 78 308 GTS with Ansa exhaust. All emission equipment has been removed. I currently license it as a collector car in Oregon. What are my options in the Asheville area?

Tim Bland

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I dont know as I have mine registered as an antique car in Mississippi. I will be happy to see another 308 in the area!!!

As a side note, I am only here with the military so I am not permanent resident.

PDG

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

There is no emissions inspection for vehicles of that age. It is only a simple safety inspection of wipers, lamps, etc. You will have no trouble at all obtaining a standard registration.

4. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Actually, there is no inspection required at all for a vehicle after 35 years. I also have a 78 308 GTS and renewed my registration last year with no inspection.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ Good point. My 1978 Pinzgauer is inspection-free also. They just send the little tax-bill and you get your registration automagically.

6. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    collector car insurance is of course available here also. There's an FCA Platinum-award- wining GTS in Winston-Salem- about 2 hrs from Asheville. The NC Chapter of the FCA is one of the most active in the country. Let us know when and if you move.

7. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    I want to say thanks to all that have replied to my post. As soon as I know whether I will be relocating I will let everyone know. There are some great roads in North Carolina and the surrounding states. I have had mu GTS for about a year and half and it was not running when I got it. It is now running and next is to clean up some paint issues. I want to enjoy the car for a few years before I jump into a full restoration.

Tim Bland

8. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    #8 bland, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A side mirror on the right side. Quite a luxury :):).

10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Just go ahead and ship it here. We will be glad to drive it and keep it on the road until you get here!

PDG

11. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Digging that 308!

12. scubamike

scubamike Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    In the south
    Drive it on the Tail of the Dragon!

13. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What a treasure - great rims and unique!!!

When you visit Wilmington, NC be sure to keep me posted.

14. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    welcome Tim. The FCA NC Chapter is very active and is a great way to meet a lot of wonderful people. Always room for another 3x8 in the State.

15. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    It really is not much help. You can see very little out of it. Haven't quite found the mirror adjustment or seat location that will a view down the side.

Thank you

That is a great road. Have driven it a few times in a rental car. It would be a blast in the 308