Question about the Proper Etiquette of Posting License Plates | FerrariChat

Question about the Proper Etiquette of Posting License Plates

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by nicholasn, Jan 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hey all,

I didn't feel like hijacking the C&C thread, so I thought I'd start a new one dedicated to the issue it brought up.

I would like to know what the proper etiquette is when posting pictures and descriptions of other people's cars online. My reason for bringing this up is, whenever I see an exotic car, I like to snap a few pictures of it. I am on a couple of sites dedicated to the posting of exotic cars, and have posted some of the cars I have seen on these sites. Most of the time I cover the license plates, but I've never been sure of the proper process.

If I get the chance, I always ask the owner for permission to take pictures of his or her car. So far, no one has told me not to take pictures, and haven't objected when I shot the back of their car. But most of the time, I do not have a chance to talk to the owner (such as when I see something sitting alone in a parking lot, or driving on the road), and sometimes only have a few seconds to snap a picture.

I've also always wondered about custom plates. For instance, the Lotus Exige I saw yesterday had a pretty interesting plate on it, and from what I figure, if the owners didn't want people to notice their plates, they wouldn't pay extra for custom ones. I have been under the impression that most custom plates cannot be tracked as easily either. Are the rules different in this case?

I'd love to read your thoughts on this.

-Nicholas

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Custom plates are no harder to track than regular plates. I think taking pics of cars is great, but all efforts should be made to cover the plate. It's not a full proof way to prevent bad people from doing bad things, but it's one more obstacle. FL for example is an "open" state...meaning all info is public and can be easily obtained, even if there's a fee involved.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My preference is to NOT display the plates. Your not only exposing the plate ID, but also the Year sticker code as well in some cases.

It is very easy to simply "blur" them out - practically every OS has software to do this and it takes just a few seconds to modify the pic.

4. racemanryan

racemanryan Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ryan Taylor
    I usually don't blur the license plates on photos I take simply because I don't know how to. However, I spent some time the past few days learning how to and from now on will blur out the license plate numbers.

5. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I don't see any issues with plates -- I mean it's not like the UK where you can go into any auto parts store and order a plate with anything on it. Only States can issue plates.
    Alan