FCA at VIR trackdays March 9/10 | FerrariChat

FCA at VIR trackdays March 9/10

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Europeanroadandracing, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Come out and join us for some fun time on track. This is what your Ferrari was designed to do.
    If you don't own a Ferrari, feel free to join us anyway. $595.- is a bargain for 2 days on track and includes Dinner Banquet Monday night. My friend Chuck Hawks and a team of Instructors will be on hand to help you get the most out of the event and your car. Sign up soon as deadline is approaching.

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Looks like fun.

Do we need track insurance for this?

Thanks.

3. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Being that it is Drivers Education your standard insurance should suffice but may be someone else can chime in. Some insurance companies are getting picky.

Karl

4. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    I'll jump in on this topic too. I'm the Chief Steward for the event.

We run a very safe event and our participants, while often very fast are respectful of the fact that they are driving special machinery, and on track with others doing the same.

While track insurance is not required, if you're thinking about it and can afford to spring for it; then it might not be a bad idea. It's really not that expensive when one thinks about it and that extra safety net is very nice to have in the off occasion that something bad does happen.

As Karl mentioned, many insurance companies will cover you (ONCE) at an HPDE but others have added language to their policy's fine print that exclude any activity (even parking) on pavement whose intent is competition - even when the event in question is NOT a competitive event. Ours is not a traditional HPDE model either, it's more like a lapping day - instructors are HIGHLY recommended but not required in any run group. I hold 'chalk talks' but there is no official classroom curriculum and schedule for each group. I do the talks to cover most levels of skill but, of course lean towards the novice side because they are the ones who will both benefit most and have their comfort level increased the most through attendance.

Speaking of competition; let me go ahead and lay that out there too - this is a friendly track day, not a competitive event and the competition mindset should be left at home when traveling to the event. :) Insurance companies do 'secret shop' these things and will exclude coverage if anyone is seen timing, as that can be construed (and insurance companies are expert construers...) as competition and the event will be classified as competitive over education. Said another (more succinct way) - Overt timing is prohibited.

OK, Sorry for so much detail to such a simple question but I did want to get ahead of any other related questions.

I look forward to seeing everyone SOON!!

Cheers & C U @ d'Track!!
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Pro-Driver, Coach, Instructor & Facilitator
    rEvolution Performance

5. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Wow. What an overwhelming response. I thought this was Ferraichat. lol

6. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hope to see you there in the 612. It's a great event. Warning: it's highly addictive!

7. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Last call guys. Use your cars as they were intended. Cars and Coffee is for kids. Lol
    "It's not how you stand by your car"

8. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    #8 Renman57, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is one of the guys standing by the car the owner? I've spoken to him on the phone (he's VERY nice!) but have not yet met him in person.

10. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    #10 Europeanroadandracing, Mar 11, 2015
  11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sorry I couldn't make this event, as I had a deployment at work.

Regardless, thanks for the info on insurance - greatly appreciated.

12. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mark...yes, the gentleman to the right (cream colored shirt)...Bob Rapp.

13. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    karl, hope you had fun out at the vir field trip. i brought you a new customer to err.

14. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    (Redundant post from Tracking but it's worth it...)
    Boy did we have a great event at VIR this past Mon/Tues!
    Peter Krause already posted a great photo of a sample of the amazing machinery we had on hand. The only thing better than the cars was the people! And there were indeed some fantastic people there! Even the Area Sales Manager from Ferrari North America couldn't resist coming. Huge thanks to Foreign Cars Italia for sponsoring the event, bringing some serious eye-candy, and providing tech assistance and support.

We had an amazing crew of instructors (THANK YOU GUYS - GREAT JOB!), who guided a wonderful group of exotic car owners in exploiting what their cars were designed and built to do. It was awesome! One of the instructors in particular - Karl Troy (European Road and Racing) deserves extra special thanks for sponsoring the event with some great looking t-shirts for both the instructors and the general event shirts - THANKS again Karl!!

MAJOR thanks to all who came and most especially to Jim Meek and Philippe Dorier for taking the lead on such an over-the-top event! Away from the track, the dinner and socials on Philippe and Brigitte's deck in the evenings were a blast and their hospitality was greatly appreciated.

If you weren't there, all I can say is start kicking yourself now. And don't miss next year! :D
    Let the photos begin! Can you say La Ferarri? Or how about 288 GTO?! :)

Cheers & C U @ d'Track!!
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Pro-Driver, Coach, Instructor & Facilitator
    rEvolution Performance

15. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    #15 Renman57, Mar 12, 2015
  16. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Probably the proudest moment of the entire event. Chuck Hawks our Chief Stewart recruited my 16 year old son Sean (the photographer) as an instructor who did a fine job. He has a gift.
    As Jim Meek mentioned at dinner. The first time the FCA had an instructor so young, his parents had to sign a waiver, lol.
    Thanks to all that made this event a total success.

Karl

17. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
  18. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    A semi hot lap, then a cool down while explaining what we just did and why. Then we got passed by an Indy Car.
    https://youtu.be/_a3xm38wt9Q