what's fun in charlotte/raleigh? | FerrariChat

what's fun in charlotte/raleigh?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by fatbillybob, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Gent's,

I will be racing for the 1st time at VIR mid-April and have an extra day in either charlotte or raleigh. What if any must see's, must do's, or must eat's or personal favorites for my wife and I in those cities?

Thanks for the ideas!

Oh...I would love a nice dinner/restaurant recommendation between charlotte airport and VIR. Thanks!

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What's your pleasure? Second Empire is always good for dinner, and a nice pace for a couple. There's the more fancy area upstairs and the more casual tavern downstairs. You may order off either menu at area. For steak (good en route to track days!) Sullivan's does a good job. For Italian there's Casa San Carlo and Gravy. If you want a good dog, check out Hot Wieners. It is very casual but fufills desire! For sushi, you can't go wrong with Mura. For activities, there's an indoor karting track in Garner (about 15 min south of Raleigh) called Rush Hour Karting. The science museum is rather good. Raleigh is a great town.

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How about favorite bar be que in either of those two cities?

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Stop in Lexington for some great barbeque places.

5. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    if you are going from CLT airport to VIR you are closer to Greensboro than Raleigh.
    You are also closer to Durham and Chapel Hill, and Durham is a great restaurant town (not that Raleigh isn't).

6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks for the tip. On my way to Danville to VIR I'll detour to Lexington Bar-Be-Que. They get high marks for one of the best.

7. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I missed this thread! Did you like VIR? I visit all the time, really hate I didn't make to the event you were in.

8. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    There's a lot more restaurants in Charlotte, but they're usually more high end steakhouses than bbq places. Check out The Pit (right near the Raleigh train station) if you come to Raleigh.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    FBB...I was there last Fall and got some great recommendations from F-chatters. These were the BBQ specific ones, I was able to get to using my 3+ days there, and they were all good.

Allen & Sons - Chapel Hill - try the Brunswick Stew, if you've never tried that before
    The Pit - Raleigh - kind of fancy for a BBQ "joint", but eclectic mix of BBQ styles
    Hillsborough BBQ - ribs great, brisket good
    Mitch's Tavern - near NCSU campus - good BBQ sammie

Wife and I even drove out to Lexington to go to famous place there. Packed. But, worth a nice drive in the country to get there, if you have time.

Safe travels…T