Be on the lookout for a stolen 1968 Porsche 911 | FerrariChat

Be on the lookout for a stolen 1968 Porsche 911

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Dincenzo, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #1 Dincenzo, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The owner of a custom-built vintage race car is hoping you'll be on the lookout for the vehicle after he says it was stolen from a trailer in the parking lot of a Columbia hotel early Wednesday morning.
    Douglas Hagopian stopped at the Days Inn on Garners Ferry Road near Interstate 77 Tuesday night while en route from his Florida home to a motorsports park in West Virginia.

When he came out Wednesday morning, he saw that the 1968 Porsche 911 has been taken from the trailer he was hauling.

The $100,000 silver race car had just been outfitted with a new engine and transmission for its run in Sunday's Jefferson 500, a road race at Summit Point Motorsports Park in Summit Point, West Virginia.

"I feel terrible," Hagopian said over the phone while on his way back to Florida. "My retirement is in that vehicle. That's what I do with my retirement. It really just crushed me."

He says the car was taken sometime between midnight and 4:00 a.m. "I think they were trying to steal the trailer," Hagopian said. "But when they couldn't lift it off the hitch, they cut the locks off the back door."

The Columbia Police Department fingerprinted the trailer and hitch Wednesday morning, Hagopian said.

A spokeswoman for the department says investigators are working with local businesses to determine if the incident was captured on surveillance video.

Mobile users, tap here to see more images of the car.

Hagopian has been racing for 15 years. The stolen Porsche has been in about 100 racing events.

If you have seen this car or know anything about the theft, you are urged to call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC. Your anonymous information could get you a cash reward of up to $1,000.

Hagopian is also offering a reward for information leading to the recovery of the car.

Police have entered the car information into the National Crime Information Center database (NCIC).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Way to go Columbia PD!

4. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Glad they found it, and hope it's in good shape. I think I'm gonna be at the 500 this weekend, so maybe I'll see it there.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Very happy it was recovered.

This is why I'm hesitant to leave any kind of "unique" car over night at a hotel that does not have guards on duty 24/7.

6. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    I have no statistics, but SC and GA seem like the trailer theft capital of the US.