Thank You to European Road & Racing and Mountain Motorwerks | FerrariChat

Thank You to European Road & Racing and Mountain Motorwerks

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by cgperry, Jun 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    #1 cgperry, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not unusual to see high praise here for Karl Troy and European Road and Racing of North Charleston, but this past memorial day Karl went above and beyond to help me as a client and I just wanted to say thanks.

While attending the FCA's Coach I memorial event, my Diablo broke a clutch rod during the great drive from Julie's house to Highlands, NC. It's a known failure point on Diablos, but of course mine broke at the worst possible time - in the middle of a twisty mountain highway with almost no pull-offs and no cellular service. I managed to pop the car into 2nd gear and limped it all the way to Highlands. Karl arrived shortly after, having attended the event with two of his kids.

When I got him on the phone, Karl's endurance racing background was immediately evident. He gave me a list of parts I could find at a hardware store that might make for a temporary fix to get us home. But of course, the only hardware store in Highlands was closed. The nice maintenance staff at the Old Edwards Inn & Spa even tried to go through their hardware to help us, but to no avail.

In the meantime, our fearless and resourceful FCA-SC leader, David Scott, had sprung into action and located a local mechanic who might be able to help. Mark Barrette from Mountain Motorwerks met us in downtown Highlands and kindly offered us his shop. Mark is also an ex-race mechanic - how lucky could we get in tiny Highlands? We couldn't locate Highland's only tow truck, so Karl limped the car to Mark's shop. Mark had a couple of other exotic car clients, so he already had 12' ramps available to get the low slung Diablo safely onto his lift.

Karl made short order of pulling the broken clutch rod with Mark feeding him tools as needed. The rod had broken in an abnormal place, so Karl decided to try to weld it. Again, Mark jumped in with any tool Karl needed. Karl tack welded the rod to check the fit, and then did a final weld. It took a little work to get it refitted in the car, but Karl and Mark made it work. We had lost some clutch fluid during the failure, but with some pumping, the fix made the clutch workable. Karl's emergency patch allowed me to get the car all the way back to the Charleston area (4 hours!), saving me an expensive tow or having to leave the car in Highlands.

This is not the first time Karl has dropped everything on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND to help me or one of my friends. And you would think that he would eventually get tired of doing club events since any time there's a crisis, all eyes fall on him. But he not only steps in every time to help, he does it with a smile on his face and a terrific attitude. Even his kids were gracious about giving up their family time with their dad to help a stranded friend.

That attitude is why European Road and Racing will always be THE place to go in SC for exotic car service. And we're certainly excited to add Mark and Mountain Motorwerks to our list of resources when in the Highlands area. Thank you so much to you both - it turned a crisis into an adventure and is much appreciated by your loyal customers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had texted Karl with a question before heading out to Augusta. He seen the text about 8:30 pm and called. I sure wasn't expecting it but it's nice to know he's there. From other stories I've heard this normal for Karl. I guess that's why we trust our prized possessions with him.

Awesome story and pics. Pretty amazing someone could make an emergency repair on a Lamborghini when most wouldn't know how to start to fix it "correctly".

3. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    It's loyal clients that have turned into friends like you Charles that make what I do so much fun. Plus it's in those situations when all seems lost that my MacGyver instinct comes alive.
    By the way. On the following Tuesday my wife Kim and I celebrated our 25th anniversary. Charles overheard I had made dinner reservations at Halls Chop house and surprised us by taking care of it for us. We had dinner on Charles, lol.
    One big happy family.

4. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Fantastic story.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Cheers, Karl!

"my McGyver instinct..."

Love that!

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Great job to whoever drove the Diablo up the ramps onto the lift with a screwed up clutch! Karl definitely seems to know how to run his business the right way...I heard once in a mattress ad that people who open a business to make money eventually end up losing all of their customers, whereas people who start a business and put their customers first end up making money. Keep on keeping on man!

7. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Never heard that quote before Nick but how true it is. When I started ERR 25 years ago I didn't say "I bet I can make a lot of money doing this" . I just loved ( and still do) what I do. Actually it was in the back of an industrial park. No chance you'd find me by accident. No bathroom, no lift. Floor jacks and jack stands.
    We have two bathrooms now, lol.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That's Karl and ERR.. and why I only trust my cars to them. :)

Charles sorry to hear about the Diablo. I hope she's doing fine now.. all healed up.

9. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Great story all the way around. You guys are so lucky to have Karl on the east coast. My Diablo misses him ;)

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Great story about great guys. VERY few will go out of there way even fewer on holiday with their kids. Excellent role model for his kids

Stories like this is why Karl and Mark services are in high demand.

No events on Father's Day ...lol

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have my own two stories about Karl and how great a guy he is:

1) Back on the old FerrariList (11 years ago), I was lamenting a hot start issue I was having on my 1987 328GTS...Karl PM'd me and ask me to call him, and he could help...I asked "now?" and he says "sure". Low and behold he is actually out at dinner with his family, yet he walks me through a few questions and determines what I probably need parts wise to replace. I was very grateful, but embarrassed to take him away from a family dinner outing.

2) Fast forward a few years later, I was on a company meeting in Charleston, and called Karl to say "hello" and if I could stop by his shop....he whole heartedly says, "Yes! Absolutely, got on over!" So an hour later, I am there with a buddy, getting the grand tour and shown one of his personal projects on the lift (race car of course!). It was a great time, talking cars, and seeing all these wonderful projects going on his shop!

All this for a guy (me) living on the opposite coast, who couldn't possibly ever be a customer, yet Karl has rolled out the welcome mat, and made offers to help! Whenever I hear anyone remotely near him asks for a shop to recommend, I tell them to get on over to ERR!! ;)

12. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Karl is the man...no doubt! That's why my Ferraris (and BMW) go to him.

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Lots of class acts here.

14. djohnson63

djohnson63 Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Karl is Awesome! I wouldn't think of taking my Ferrari anywhere else, although he probably wishes I would ;)
    He is probably one of the busiest guys I know but will not hesitate to take time out to talk with you! Great Guy!!

15. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In the last month on two occasions I have been on separate rides through Highlands. Can't imagine dealing with an issue like that there. What a great story.

16. Europeanroadandracing

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    Any business has competition. We are not perfect but have always strived to do the right thing. It makes my heart sing when I see other shops pursuing the same goal. They aren't competitors. They are allies.

17. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Geez, they look so clean and they wear gloves and stuff! ;)

18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    What a great post!! Karl, he spoke so highly of you. Charles is a great friend and he truly is a first class act. He is THE MAN. We hit the RUSH show in Atlanta together. He is my brother from another mother. :)