Check out Andy's details work! | FerrariChat

Check out Andy's details work!

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Just noticed this. Thanks for the shout out, David!

3. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Where are you located, Redline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
  5. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Thanks, Karl.

997usa, I'm located around Greenville, SC.

6. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Going to have Andy do my 348 soon. Great guy.

7. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Good one Andy

8. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Big thanks to Andy, he detailed two cars for me this past week and he really worked miracles. Both my 348 and TR6 look excellent now. TR6 needed a paint correction and Andy delivered. If you ever need anything don't hesitate to contact him.

9. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
  10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Man those turned out nice Keith and Andy! We missed seeing you guys at Coach I and Andy, we still have that boat to do.

11. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    We missed going to the CoachI event but sadly we had to put our 9yr old dog down that weekend so we just weren't feeling too social.

I'll get to looking at my schedule coming up soon and make some time to get down there again to mess with the boat!

12. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    So sorry to hear about your dog. Having lost one of the most noble and caring little guys we ever knew (Mr. Bamboo) not long ago, I know how y'all felt.

Your work is absolutely amazing. After one of your sessions, I"d be tempted to just Saran Wrap the car to keep it that way! ;)

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sorry to hear that Andy, it's loosing a family member. They always smile when you get home, are thrilled to see you, and like little children. Now get smart and go have some real children!!

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Andy
    I'm in Asheville, how would I and where would I go to get a car to you
    John

15. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    I sent you a PM, John.

16. solana_sc

solana_sc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Oliver
    Andy, I'm down in Columbia. How should I get my car to you, please?

17. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #18 steved033, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2019
    Would you care to share any secrets of how you get in and around all the emblems? I joined the DB forum, as pretty much out of nowhere, detailing has become a new interest.

Thanks!

sjd

19. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    It all depends on the emblem location, how much room I have to work around it, etc. Sometimes I can do a little by hand. But most of the time I can slightly tilt my polisher to where it will still safely spin a rotation (thus making “correction” possible) and be able to work it out. Hard to describe without showing lol.

20. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I hear ya. i had an old air powered rotary, and picked up a little one (3") not long ago. The little one (3") has proved invaluable in tight places, I'll likely keep the little one, but the big one is dead.

With the wife getting a Q60, and me with the 348 and the GTX (which still has some hazy areas from it's final wet sand), it's time to step up to a DA and some proper pads and polishes. All the pros seem to be all over the Rupes. I don't know if i'm that serious about my polishing. I was eyeballing a griots, the torx (chemical guys), and the old porter cable that is apparently old news. any recommendations? sorry if i'm hijacking.

sjd

21. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Not at all. I should have mentioned I also have a few machines including a smaller 3” Griot’s.

Before I bought my Rupes I used a Griot’s 6” DA for several years. I got good results from it and was overall happy with the quality and service I got from it and you cannot beat the price! I still keep it as a back up of course.

Actually, the best thing about the Griot’s machine is the lifetime warranty. I had an issue at one point in time and they sent me a brand new unit after receiving my broken one.

I’m actually at the SEMA show in Vegas as we speak and can’t wait to hit the North Hall tomorrow and geek out over all the different detailing company booths. Going to try and get an idea of what I want to experiment with next.

steved033 likes this.
  22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm so jealous! I went many times in the mid 2000's when I was designing for LUND truck accessories. so much walking...

sjd

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    wow. fantastic job!

I'm presuming 6" pad for the big areas and 3" for the tight sections?

it's finally warmed up here. i'm going to practice on the dailys before I tackle the GTX and the 348. the 348 isn't nearly as bad as that 355, just a few light spiderwebs...the tops of the doors are the worst part of it.

sjd

24. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    You are correct! What color is your 348?

25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosso, nero interior. paint is single stage, 6mil everywhere except the right rear where it's 8. (old skool spring style paint gauge) 8mil is due to some body work done by owner 1. I've already done some work to the rear bumper where I 2500 wet sanded out some deep scuffs, and polished it out with 3M light cut and then swirl remover with a 3" air powered chicago pneumatic. It came out nice.

I've got some menzerna 3500 that should do the trick on most of the body, just go really easy on it. Follow that up with powerlock or possibly hydrosilex. With a portercable, would that just be slower speed or lighter pressure? or both? (or likely just some practice on one of the other things i've got kicking around)

I'm super impressed with the wash/coat with the hydrosilex. It was super easy to do the wet applications on my daily.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sjd