Visiting Boone NC mid January | FerrariChat

Visiting Boone NC mid January

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Alden, Dec 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    My Wife and I will be spending a week or so in Boone in January.

I was looking for some fellow F chatters to meet and also info about restaurants and any cool stuff to do or see in the area. Auto related for me and shopping, of course for the Wife, lol!

Looking forward to some cool weather, we have had an extremely warm winter in FLA so far!
    Alden

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I live 20 or so miles from there in Lenoir! We should go out one night!

For restaurants the best sushi is called Cobo in Boone. For traditional sit down go to Twigs in Blowing Rock

There are the usual outlet places at Shops on the Parkway also in BR. For hometown touches check out the Mast General Store in Boone. Also do the walk of the Boone and blowing rock downtown areas.

As for car stuff, your kind of out of luck. There are some great drives, esp in summer in a ferrari, on the Blue Ridge Parkway and some excellent back roads.

3. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Hob nob has a killer smoothies if you're into that! Get the love bug

4. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a second home in Valle Crucis which is just outside Boone so I'm very really familiar with the area.

Check out the Mast Farm Inn (Travel Lodging at North Carolina Bed & Breakfast Country Inn : The Mast Farm Inn) for lodging and excellant dinners which are open to the public. The original Mast General Store is just down the road also and on weekends has regional bands come in for some bluegrass. As for shopping try the outlets in Blowing Rock and also make sure you check out Blowing Rock. Many restaurants to choose from. We like Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock, Hop Nob in Boone, and Back Yonder in Valle Crucis. I can't offer much advise on F Chatters in the area but the area if full of nice backcountry roads.

One other bit of advice DRESS WARM.

Brewman

5. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Darn! TWEETSIE Railroad will be closed in January. My grandparents live in West Jefferson NC and every summer we went to TWEETSIE. Have fun. You'll probably see snow in January. Hopefully the parkway will be open. The Biltmore estate is in Asheville. Also not too far from the Tale of the Dragon.

6. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They often have snow this time of year so Tweetsie if seasonal.

The parkway is open. Wasn't like that when I was younger. They would close it. But that's the beauty of modern times. The last time I was in the Boone area in winter there were no gates. I drove a front wheel drive Seville uphill on the parkway in the snow until it wouldn't go any farther or my companion screamed for me to STOP which made me to decide to lift my foot off the accelerator. I can't remember which happened first :):).

Yeah, Biltmore, is cool and only 100 miles from Boone. But consider that your ride back up to Boone will probably be in the dark.

Just getting to Deal's Gap would be about 200 miles one way from Boone. Good idea but just warning the OP of the distances involved. :):)

7. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    What do you mean? Boone is a Subaru lovers wet dream! :D

I second Hob Nob - but not just for smoothies - for food too. Bring cash - they are cash only!

Melanie's is good for breakfast.

Coyote Kitchen is good.

Peddler is a decent old fashioned steak house that has been there for decades.

When exactly will you be there? Kid are moving back in to school towards the end of next week. Going to be a bit crowded around there for a few days.

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

They take cards now.

9. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    It's been a few of months since I've been there. I'm surprised, never thought they would start.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

When I was in College, in NC, in the mid 70's we would go to the fiddlers convention near Boone. Beautiful country.

11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    We are here near Boone now. I wish I had brought the Ferrari to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway! Beautiful road and breathless scenery. We will be back, but bring the F car next time!

Our cabin is remote, no cell service! Nice and cool up here compared to Florida this time of year.

Bought $200 worth of socks at the Mast General Store, great place.

We will be here until Sunday the 10th if anyone wants to get together or, better yet, take me for a Ferrari ride on the parkway!
    Alden

12. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Might need a jacket with those socks..they're calling for snow this weekend.
    I threw a sheet over my ferns last night...
    Cheers,
    RE

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    We have also bought about 5 jackets since we got here, lol!

Looking forward to (a little) snow, that would be great.
    Alden

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Snowed about and inch or two last night, big fat flakes, absolutely beautiful, will post some pics later.

We are coming back in June with the F car, for sure!

Anyone who wants to meet up and run the parkway then, post here or let me know via PM.
    Alden

15. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    The BRP is a great drive..but that's a federal speed limit(45)..so be advised.
    Cheers,
    RE

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Right, we drive it a couple of times a day, our cabin is located just off the BRP.

45 is not so bad in my Wife's Escape, but in the F car, that might be hard to maintain!

BRP is a wonderful road, but without a lot of guardrails in places that would mean death if you went over the edge, that is enough to keep me on the cautious side of 45.

I still think modest speed in the F car with the top down would be sublime on the BRP. We will find out in June!
    Alden

17. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    US 221 between Linville and Blowing Rock is parallel to BRP and doesn't have a posted speed limit. It is very demanding though, and any mistake can turn into a very serious one. There is also NC 181 beween Linville and Morganton, which is very fun and does not have a posted speed limit from about Jonas Ridge to Oak Hill, plus most of the curves aren't quite as tight as US 221, so it is not quite as dangerous. Still a good place to have some fun, practice heel/toe downshifting, etc.

18. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Yeah Nick,lots and lots of run rides back in these hills,some more suited to golf carts,find Shulls Mill Rd between BR and Hound Ears! But no question,beautiful beautiful country...221 is an old Indian path,the yonahlosse trail and my last time years ago it was pretty beaten up..I hope it's been better taken care of lately..181,the Cobb Hiway,is a good hillclimb but murder downhill,a supreme brakes test..bikers love that road going up..I hear'em alla time,10k rpm carries a long way and we live not far off 181.
    Cheers,
    RE

19. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Holy moly. I definitely need to put Shulls Mill Rd on my bucket list of roads to drive!

20. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yeah but nothing gets reported to insurance, or on your license...

Ask me how I know...

21. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Eww..don't need to know..but how much over the limit were you?
    And just mailed in the 100$ ?
    Cheers,
    RE

22. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Few times.

I'm one of the rare people who pull over on a bike. Probably 15-20 over a few times, over the past few years.

Always the nicest officers too.