Watch out! Doug DeMuro is headed to Charleston | FerrariChat

Watch out! Doug DeMuro is headed to Charleston

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Alpintourer, May 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have nothing nice to say about that. The article simultaneously insults the region and Aston Martin --- all in one self-aggrandizing post. If a person is so burdened by Aston (and previously Ferrari) ownership, they should chose a different brand.

My Aston Martin was rock solid, and I drove multiple 1000+ mile road trips with zero issues, through the South. Making fun of the Aston's electrical system is also somewhat silly -- it is mostly Ford components and engineering. Perhaps it is better to incite a Lucas-fearing public, than actually deal with the facts of a modern AM?

My Ferrari was equally solid, and also drove tons and tons of miles throughout the South without ever needing assistance.

This shtick gets old after all these years.

3. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like a good week to skip C&C.

4. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Wow. Not a very good way to make friends on a road trip. He really did blast the whole region.

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I lit into him on one of his anti-Ferrari videos on YouTube. I think the guy is just a tool.

PDG

6. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I've watched some of his videos, thought he was funny. However as time went on, he seems to bash to much. Almost likely he is mocking people that like the brand. I could be wrong. But I get the sense the community is not too fond of him. From what I've seen the community nails it pretty good.

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Dumb question but who is Doug DeMuro?

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Doug DeMuro is a writer with an exceedingly poor grasp of the English language.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm leaving for Charleston at noon tomorrow. I'll watch for the Aston.

10. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Seems to really like Charleston, though who wouldn't? Maybe he'll mellow out a bit and relax at IOP.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Aston and I grew up in the south. Most people can understand and explain real life there with the worst aspect generally being the heat with humidity.

I think he is playing on old stereotypes. I've seen plenty of Aston Martins, Ferrari's and other exotics in the south. Just visited an Aston dealer in Atlanta. No issues with the people or places.

But I guess to get a fan base of young followers on YouTube, you have to make up drama so that has been his route on many of his videos and posts.

He'd find problems with any car that were unlivable... Most of us can weigh the values of the quirks with the rest of the package.

Robb

12. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The dude just panders to the people who like to bash people that have what they don't. I'm sure we've all been around people saying "A Ferrari? I wouldn't have one if they gave it to me." That guy seems to be his target audience.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Let's be fair, here.

Virginia is known for being hostile to speeders, not to mention radar users. Personally, I take several road trips a year up the coast, and I detest the VA portion.

As for the Carolinas, let's acknowledge that they certainly have very cosmopolitan areas, but there is also a lot of "country" there. Wouldn't you be a wee bit concerned if you broke down in an Euro semi-exotic in Falcon, North Carolina or Dillon, South Carolina? What? You had to go to Google and check how far those towns were from larger areas you know are served by mechanics with knowledge of specialized vehicles? Yes, exactly.

I'd have the same trepidation traversing the SouthWest, wondering what would happen if I blew a highly specialized head gasket in the desert, four hours equidistant to Phoenix and Vegas, for example. I do acknowledge I wouldn't have digs at how AZ/NV people speak, and for that I do fault DeMuro.

And all that said, I don't think DeMuro is very funny. And that's what's painful - I know where the joke is supposed to be, but I don't laugh.

So maybe I agree with everyone, too.

Yeah, listen to me, he's not that bad a dude, but screw him anyway.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Doug is a ****ing tool.

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #16 UroTrash, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    I enjoy his writing.

Goring sacred cows can be very entertaining.

Making fun of The South? I admit, that one is a bit too easy. Making fun of Ferraris and their pucker-butt owners? Great stuff.

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    perhaps as an olive branch, you can offer a free exam as he passes through your fine town.

18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Doug just loves to **** on Ferrari and now it appears to be Aston Martin. He should just go buy a Toyota.

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Never heard of him.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I wonder if he'll be at C&C tomorrow..

21. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I enjoyed following all of his posts in the Atlanta Spotters thread.....

But after watching his videos when he owned his 360 (a manual 360 at that), I became less and less of a fan. He seems unappreciative of what he has now and what he had previously.

22. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Better drive the Porsche so he doesn't tell you that you can't haul a large tv in your 360.

23. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Nah, bring the 360 and tie your TV to its roof.

24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm firmly in the "he's a tool" camp on this one. Seen a few of his videos, one was enough. He's not nearly as witty as he thinks he is. Cheap imitation.

25. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    He's an extremely socially awkward doofus who just happened to fit in with the rest of them at Jalopnik. The schtick about his warranty coverage on the Rover and now the Aston is soooooo tired. 95%+ of America will never get close to one of the cars he videos and writes about, so he ekes out a living. Good for him. I'll bet that he was fired from Porsche before all of this started...dude would drive any sane boss/manager nutty.

I wanted to smack him in the head every time he drove the Ferrari 360 with his hand resting on the shifter...dumbass doesn't know how to drive a manual properly. He actually responded to a comment of mine once indicating that he had no idea why this was a bad idea. Exactly.

If you see him at C&C, please kick him in the nuts for me and remind him to take his hand off the stick unless he's shifting.