Sick & tired of the fires & smoke... | FerrariChat

Sick & tired of the fires & smoke...

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by David_S, Nov 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #1 David_S, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haven't seen anybody else mention all the wildfires.

Closest one to me is probably somewhere about 3 miles off, but the winds are bringing the smoke up the mountain & into town.

Can't see it even half as bad as it really is in the attached picture, but it is getting dense & everybody's eyes are stinging & red. I feel bad for those much closer to the actual fires!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    We have the problem also at Cold Mnt

3. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Drove N to MI starting Cape Coral, FL, on Sunday, November 13th. Got into wildfire smoke on I-75 south of Dalton, GA. Heavy and acrid.

Overnighted in Cleveland, TN, then day of Monday, Nov. 14th, drove E into Cherokee National Forest/Ocoee (TN) River and Ocoee TVA dams 1, 2, and 3, then N onto Cherohala Skyway east towards North Carolina. Heavy wildfire smoke was pervasive, and every TVA impoundment and backwater I observed was so very low - low pool. North of Robbinsville, NC, encountered hillsides burning and smoldering. Onto the Dragon US-129 northbound, and into Knoxville around 415pm. Northbound on I-75 from Knoxville the forest fire smoke did not subside until the KY state line.

Pretty dam dry down there! Not good.

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Gentlemen, we are going to have to adapt to this unprecedented weather and weather patterns. Sad to say but no denying the trend.

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Supposed three days of rain next week in western NC

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The problem is? Here in the Southeast, there is no real consensus as to WHAT the effects of climate change will be - other than a predicted rise in average temperature. Some predictions for my area point to wetter conditions, some to drier.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi David. I don't know and I don't think anybody really knows precisely what the effects will be, but it appears dry spells will be longer and more severe, and wet periods the same. Here in Raleigh we are well over 10 inches of rain above normal this year, last year was the same. A handful of years ago we had back to back years of a very nasty drought. My guess is we are going to see more extreme weather, and as you say a perpetual temperature rise.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan

9. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9 Streetsurfer, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    I learned a health tip when I lived in Florida and was a couple miles from some of the fires in 2010-11. It greatly eased my breathing discomfort.

Cinnamon is a vasodilator. Safe to take, but may exascerbate the visual appearance of an existing rosacea condition. Afik, that is the only risk of consuming cinnamon in the quantities here. To help facilitate free breathing without the wheezing and seeming pressure on my chest, I mixed equal amounts of honey and ground cinnamon.....1-2 T. each, with it's effect lasting several hours. Eating this, and leaving some under the tongue for a minute or two turned out to be invigorating for my lungs as it increased
    blood flow. Give it a shot, if you are bothered by the smoke, and see if it helps with the breathing discomfort.

While the breathing was eased, I did break out in what I think was poison sumac, oak, or iy (or possibly mango tree?) around my neck, where shirt/collar rubbed as I was out working in the haze one day. It's my thought it was due to the urushiol from the burning plants being carried on the breeze. I wasn't in direct contact with any plants.

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Took all my cars to Ashevile because of the fire danger - missed them so bad brought them all back

11. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm on Lake Wylie...lowest the water has been in 11 years.

Stunning sunsets at night, but would trade them back in a heartbeat for those fires to have not happened...

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Supposedly, we'll have about 0.5" rain this Tuesday/Wednesday. Hardly enough to make an impact, but every little bit will help.

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We've already gotten nearly that where I am. It has certainly done a great job of clearing out the air.

Sure hope we can share some of this rain with the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area! :(

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    David, where are u in WNC?
    John

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm in podunk little Spruce Pine in Mitchell County.

16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm there every Monday operating and doing clinic. Very pretty up there.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Awesome Uro! Over at BRRH? If so? Hope they're treating you OK - they seem to have an insane turnover rate. Quite a few docs have come to stay & then left running after not too long. :(

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yup. Employed by Mission Memorial, who owns BR.