Ferrari Owners Club NW Region | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owners Club NW Region

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by StoryBook, Jul 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I'd like to take this opportunity to announce the formation of the Ferrari Owners Club here in the Northwest. The FOC is the first Ferrari Club in America recognized by the Ferrari Factory and brings Ferrari enthusiasts from all over the world together to enjoy the camraderie of all those inspired by the "motoring passion of Enzo Ferrari".

Backed by Ferrari of Seattle, the NW region FOC charter mission will be to engage in the "Ferrari Lifestyle" and to provide venues for members, their families and invited guests to come together in an atmosphere of friendship and hospitality.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Kuzi,
    I hope I am not speaking out of turn, but I am sure folks may have questions about the reasons for forming this new FOC region. I am going to repost the email I recently received from Jackson Tse, introducing this new club chapter:

"The FOCNW is dedicated to enhancing the ownership experience of Ferrari owners. We will have programs and events that are for owners of Ferrari and their invited guests in an atmosphere that is totally Ferrari.

FOCNW covers the US states of Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, and the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Alberta. We see FOCNW as part of an international organization for Ferrari owners and not just an American one, as many of the Ferrari clubs in other countries are Ferrari Owners Clubs.

We would like to make it absolutely clear to you and to all Ferrari enthusiasts that we have formed the FOCNW not to compete against NWRFCA, but to compliment and work with NWRFCA in the fraternity of Ferrari. FOCNW will not plan any activity that is in direct conflict to that of NWRFCA. In fact, we will have activities for Ferrari owners that are different from those of NWRFCA. We ourselves will not resign from but will remain loyal members of NWRFCA. At the same time, we welcome owners of Ferrari in NWRFCA to join FOCNW also, so that we can all further enjoy our Ferrari experience as owners of Ferrari cars.

FOCNW is brand new. Many exciting things are happening in due course. So please stay tuned, give us some time, but please come join us as founding members of FOCNW. For Membership Applications to FOCNW, please contact any one of the officers of FOCNW.

If you have any question concerning our new FOCNW, please do not hesitate to contact us."

I'm intrigued by this new development, and plan to join up and participate, as I think it may indeed, be a nice enhancement to my Ferrari experience, in addition to (not a replacement) of my FCA membership. Forza Ferrari! Good luck guys!

3. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I can ONLY assume, THAT you MUST own a Ferrari OR at least PROMISE to only BRING Ferraris to any events to join this NEW club?

Can I get an ANSWER please?

4. rperrina

rperrina Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Roberto Perrina
    As the person responsible for events and activities for Ferrari of Seattle, I would just like to make it clear that we support both local Ferrari clubs and welcome the addition of the FOCNW as another avenue for all of us to express our passion for Ferrari and Ferrari ownership.

All of us here at FOS hope that the FOCNW will enhance everyone's Ferrari ownership experience and that the NWRFCA continues the great work they have always done.

Roberto Perrina
    Ferrari & Maserati of Seattle

5. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Thanks for the clarification Roberto .. and congratulations on your second post in 2.5yrs ;-)

6. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey Paul,

Don't distract Roberto as he's busy finding me cars... ;-}

Tim

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Where do we sign up, get details etc?

Mike

8. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, very, very sloooowly! LOL <j/k Roberto!>

You did know that Italy is still in the world cup, so don't expect *anything* to be done at the dealership while "the dream is alive" -- they're all on tenterhooks over there. And while we're at it, WTF is a tenterhook when it's at home anyway. I had to look it up to get the answer...
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ont1.htm
    From the "boring but true" file...

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What's the point? Is there some dissatisfaction with FCA, or something? Why do we need two clubs?

I assume there is some behind-the-scenes story that I'm not aware of?

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I agree. Can someone who is in charge of this FOCNW please answer this question regarding if the ownership of a Ferrari is required in order to join or not. Thank you.

11. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yea, great point/question. I’m actually a little worried that yet another club will siphon even more members off activities. i.e., More activities overall, but less cars per activity.

I love having a greater choice of activities on one hand because my travel schedule is so screwy that I like the flexibility. On the other hand, I also like planning for the few big activities each year so I get the thrill of that long line of exotic (notice that I didn’t say just “f-cars”) cars barreling down the road. (think Cannon Beach, Walla Walla, Olympic, etc…).

Tim

12. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, personal current ownership of a Ferrari is a prerequisite of membership, and a VIN# is required for verification.

A lot of the same questions posed here have been asked by others, including the founders of the FOCNWR. I'll try to answer a couple here.

Why ? Well, why not ? More opportunities to drive and socialize.

No black helicopters were dispatched. There are NO behind-the-scenes issues, and I think all of the founders of FOCNWR are happy to already be members of FCA, myself included, and continue that membership.

The FCA drives tend to be weekend long drives, with overnight stays etc. I'm hoping that the FOC are able to arrange more drives that those with tight work/family (or both) schedules can manage to participate in.

The focus on the FOC is obviously geared to owners of Ferraris, and is a *worldwide* organization, recognized by the factory, and therefore isn't quite so America-centric as the FCA. A slight distinction, but one that we all felt would appeal to other owners.

Again, membership of the FCA and the FOC are not mutually exclusive. We all feel that the organizations are complimentary, not competitive...

13. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    First of all, as the name implies..........this is the Ferrari Owners Club............so yes ownership of a Ferrari is required. However invited guests of members are welcome to attend any events planned by the FOCNW.

And there is absolutely no dissatisfaction with FCANW........in fact FOCNW will be a great adjunct and be most complementary to FCANW. In fact "all" Board members of FOCNW will continue their membership in FCANW.............and I suspect most new FOCNW members will be FCANW members as well.

Tims question about siphoning off or diluting FCANW activities can be looked at in another perspective. The creation of FOCNW will in most likelihood (and is one of the first order of business for FOCNW) bring out the people or persons who have not participated in FCANW in the past..............and are looking for something more or less exclusively Ferrari. There are many many Ferraris and Ferrari owners in the NW region. The majority I suspect are not members of the FCANW for one reason or another. This will be another way to reach out to those who are not a part of an organized Ferrari Club.

And to answer the question of "why two Clubs"...........why not?? Two is better than one.............specially if it gives people more choices. The choice of belonging to both, one............or neither. I say the more choices the better!

14. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    So if I understand this right.......

I MUST own a current Ferrari, have a VIN to show proff of ownership and then I can join this club and come to its "exclusive" events?

Can I, as Roberto from FOS does, just drive one of my Store or floored Ferrari's with my DEALER plates and still come?

Or does he intend to register and title the cars they bring to the "exclusive" events?

Oh, does the car have to be in running condition and Washington State street Legal to be considered?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these tough questions of your new sponsor and club memebers.

Roy Cats 1-206-396-5059 [email protected]

15. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually, after thinking about it, I&#8217;d rather take my limited time for activities and spend it not to the exclusion of my friends in the Lambo club, or even other exotic car fans, like Matt, or the Canadian Pantera guys, for example. However, I can indeed see how the exclusion would appeal to some folks. But, that's just me. &#8211; Tim :-|

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Thank you for your clarification. And with all due respect, based on this criteria alone, I think I will pass on the opportunity to join this club. Good luck with the new club.

17. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Yes there was a man that wanted to start his VERY OWN "exclusive" club a bit back........

Maybe you remember him.......

ADOLF HITLER

I can understand starting your own clubs, or having other intrests.......BUT "EXCLUSIVE" requirments are a form of "one up man ship" and not far from "Racism in its ECONOMIC fashion" PERIOD!!

But that is just IMO and I am not afraid of the re-precusions for saying it. I KNOW their are others thinking it, just maybe dont want to say it.

Unless that is not allowed on this chat board now?

18. Jackson Tse

Jackson Tse Rookie

Dec 5, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Jackson Tse
    Membership in FOCNW is open to individual owners of Ferrari, as VIN# of their Ferrari or Ferraris are reqeusted in the application form for membership in FOC/FOCNW.

FOCNW is not intended to compete and will not compete against NWRFCA or other car clubs at all. In fact, in different parts of USA, many FOC members are also members of FCA. FOC has been growing in USA and sooner or later there will be a FOC chapter in the northwest. We might as well form one now, to compliment NWRFCA and for the benefits of Ferrari owners.

FOCNW is created to offer owners of Ferrari in the northwest region of USA a non-profit club to join and to share in activities that enhance the ownership experience of Ferrari owners in an atmosphere that is Ferrari.

FOCNW will have programs that are different from those of NWRFCA. FOCNW will do its best not to schedule events that conflict with those of NWRFCA, as many members of FOCNW are already or will be members of NWRFCA. FOCNW does not want them to miss out on those programs of NWRFCA that they would like to participate in. On the other hand, some owners of Ferrari will find certain programs of FOCNW to be attractive, and they will want to join FOCNW for those.

FOC/FOCNW will have some exciting programs for its members and their invited guests. One such event is the FOC Hospitality Tent at Laguna Seca in Monterey August 19-20. Another one is the Venetian Run (Las Vegas) November 3 to 5, 2006. Another one is FOCNW's F1 Tour to Montreal, Canada in 2007. More are coming. Please stay tuned.

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, to cut through the BS here, the point seems to be to create a club which excludes the non-Ferrari owning riff-raff.

And somehow you guys think that having to associate with non-Ferrari owners is the reason many local Ferrari owners don't join the FCA?

I don't know about Seattle, but in Portland the club is pretty small as it is, and doesn't have many events. I suspect a second club wouldn't accomplish much except possibly to reduce the turnout at the few FCA events there are.

Incidentally, I was an FOC member about 10 years ago. I still have some back issues of the newsletter to prove it!

20. Jackson Tse

Jackson Tse Rookie

Dec 5, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Jackson Tse
    FOCNW does not exclude non-Ferrari owners, as they are welcome as invited guests of members of FOCNW who are Ferrari owners. FOCNW loves to be associated with non-Ferrari owners as fellow car guys and in those events that are designed to encompass all.

However, FOC and FOCNW will have events that are specifically designed to enhance the ownership experience of Ferrari owners in an atmosphere that is Ferrari. This is the essence of FOCNW.

FOCNW hopes that Ferrari owners will join FOCNW and participate in those programs of FOCNW that they find meaningful or desirable, and if they are members they can bring guests who are non-Ferrari owners, so that all can share in the passion of Ferrari. It will be a lot of fun for all.

21. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    I'm quite confused with this thread.

First, there are two clubs that use the FOC acronym.

1. Ferrari Owner's Club based in the UK (www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk)
    2. Ferrari Owner's Club based in the US (www.ferrariownersclub.com)

So which club is the FOCNW associated with?

I'm a member of both (and the FCA), but haven't seen anything in their publications about a NW region.

The FOC/UK does have a requirement to own or have owned a Ferrari to join. However, they have a non-owner section called the Prancing Horse Register. Those members have most of the privileges except for competing which is, of course, difficult if one doesn't own a Ferrari.

The FOC/US online application does have a place for entering information about an owned Ferrari (as does the FCA), but those fields are not mandatory. There is nothing in the membership web page that states the ownership is required.

Hopefully someone will sort out my confusion.

Regards, Kerry

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So is this like basic cable vs premium cable?

Seriously, I hardly have time for one club so I think I'll just stick with the FCA. I like the variety it allows by mixing with other exotics at various events and drives, (spoken as a car guy).

On occasion I have had problems with members of the public that had the preconceived perception that I revelled in my "exclusivity" because I drove a "Fiero". I really try to dispell that belief.

Heck, if they knew what I REALLY did for a living they'd laugh their asses off!

DJ

P.S For those of you with unpredictable schedules I can still host impromtu drives up north on some of my favorite roads now that the Oldslowyellow one is running again. Anyone for a little "coffee?"

I know someone else that does a fine job through the Snoqualmie Valley as well.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm a little taken aback by the responses thus far. Come on gang, these are our friends, and I wish them well. I have nothing to do with the forming of this new region, but am willing to join up, and see where it leads. If for some reason it takes on something that is less than desireable (unlikely in my opinion) I can always not renew, but I am willing to give this the fair shake that it deserves.

I think the explainations from the founders has been adequate, and if such friends as Jackson, Kuzi, Stan, Julian, Dave L, Bud, Don, Marty K, Paul and the Perrinas are involved, I can only think that this will indeed be something worth supporting.

24. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I like Jackson&#8217;s clarification about not totally excluding people. i.e., Can have &#8220;invited guests.&#8221; Guests are a great way of ultimately adding to f-car (exotic) ownership and are an important part of any club, exclusive or not.

I&#8217;m also glad that the creation of the new club doesn&#8217;t seem (at least on the surface) to come from any dissatisfaction of the existing club &#8211; which I think is still a wonderful thing to be a part of.

Who knows, maybe the same questions were asked when the current NW club was set up so many years ago. ;-)

In any event, it&#8217;s always impressive when people step up to putting effort into something like this as it&#8217;s an awful lot of work to pull off successfully.

Tim

25. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    Count me as one of the confused folks. As a former board member of the NWRFCA, I encouraged people to step up and participate in board and club activities. People have stepped up and done a great job organizing trips and events. If anyone wants to organize shorter trips or different types of events, there is nobody stopping them. The stated problems and solutions don't seem to add up. First I give you the quote:

"The FCA drives tend to be weekend long drives, with overnight stays etc. I'm hoping that the FOC are able to arrange more drives that those with tight work/family (or both) schedules can manage to participate in."

And then in a later response I see:

"FOC/FOCNW will have some exciting programs for its members and their invited guests. One such event is the FOC Hospitality Tent at Laguna Seca in Monterey August 19-20. Another one is the Venetian Run (Las Vegas) November 3 to 5, 2006. Another one is FOCNW's F1 Tour to Montreal, Canada in 2007. More are coming. Please stay tuned."

So how these three day weekend trips out of state are solving the above quoted problem of long trips is a little confusing to me. I guess I would like to know what the REAL problem is. I don't know why the founders of the new club didn't approach the board of the NWRFCA with advice, criticism, help etc. Now we have two clubs with the same interests and intents. Why?

David