My newest acquisition... | FerrariChat

My newest acquisition...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by yb360, May 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    #1 yb360, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I realize that it's not a Ferrari or even an exotic; but it's my latest acquisition and I thought somebody here might have an interest.

It's a '65 Shelby GT350R, specifically, it's serial number SFM5R002; the first Shelby Mustang race car built by Shelby and one of 2 factory sponsored team cars. (A total of 36 GT350 R-Models were factory built for racing, but only 2 were factory team cars.) It was driven by Ken Miles, Jerry Titus and Chuck Cantwell in the 1965 racing season. It won the first race it was entered in on February 14, 1965 and nearly every race that it ran in after that. The attached photo below was taken during its maiden race on that day; yes, with ALL 4 wheels off the ground. It became known as the "flying mustang". (notice the mouths hanging open on the spectactors in the background) Ken Miles was driving at that time. This photo was used widely by Shelby in their marketing efforts after that, for obvious reasons.

This car has a very interesting and significant racing history (which I won't bore everyone with right now). After it was replaced later in the season with R001 (which went on to win the national championship after being positioned to do so by R002), it became a factory test-mule to test prototype components for later GT350R's.

When the factory was finished with it, it was sold to an independent racer in CA, then to another independent racer (who did very well with it), then to a wealthy guy in Mexico who ran it in a few local races there before parking it in an open lean-to in the Mexican desert where it sat for over 15 years before being found by a American Shelby enthusiast who had gone looking for it. He brought it back to the US. It changed hands a couple times, then went into the Shelby American Museum in Boulder, CO; where it's been since 1996.

This car is literally the most historically significant Shelby Mustang in existance. It's been on my "wish list" for many years; but I honestly didn't think it could ever become a reality so it was more of a pipe dream than a possibility; however, last week I managed to buy it and add it to my collection.

It will be on the display at the Quail in Monterey in August in case anybody is there and wants to check it out.

It's still in "as-found" condition, the way it sat when it was recovered in the Mexican desert. (current photo - in rust and primer, also attached) I haven't decided yet whether to restore it or leave it as-is. Someday later I'll decide.

I've rambled on long enough here. If anyone wants more info, you can Google SFM5R002 or "Ken Miles GT350", or I can add more if someone is interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

silverton_ford likes this.
  2. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Glad you shared this with us. Nice addition to your Shelby lineup. The only Mustang I've ever owned was a red '67 GTA with a 390 in it. Insanely fast and beautiful car but nothing like the Shelby heritage yours have. Add more info.

3. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Wow, fabulous! Thank you very much for sharing John. This is an amazing addition to your collection. Look forward to seeing it @ the Quail (if not sooner).

4. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    Thanks guys, glad you like it.

It's definitely something that you need to be able to see beyond its rough exterior to really understand it. I don't expect most people to understand why I might want this one, but I'm extremely happy to have it.

Ryan - it will be at the Quail with a couple more of my Shelby's. It will remain at the museum in CO until the show, so it won't be around here prior to that to see. The Quail is celebrating 45 years of the Shelby Mustang this year, so there will be several of them there including 3 of mine. If you have any interest in Shelby's, there will be a very select group of important cars there to see. Stop by and say hi while you're there.

5. horhay

horhay Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Congrats John! Very interesting history for that car. I'm sure it will be great whether you restore it or leave it as found.

Hope to see you at RTC sometime soon, its been quite a while since Ive bugged you properly!

6. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    WHOA!!!!!!!!!!! This awesome John what a great find i am so happy for you. Nice addition to your collection. Thanks for sharing your new find.

7. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    It is so cool to see these cars from the past appear again. I am happy for you..
    BUT..you did not let me BID on this one for you LOL LOL

One question...does it run, is it operable in it's current state..?

8. Ackmann

Ackmann Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Salem Oregon
    Full Name:
    Wayne Ackermann
    Excellent, Excellent pick up for the collection. WOW. Luv it. Glad to see it is in the hands of someone who clearly appreciates the importance of the responsability of caring for the car and its preservation.

Congrats and Cheers too you!

9. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    WOW, that's a very special car. Congratulations on such a rare find.

John

10. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    Sorry Roy, the bidding on this one was done very quietly with me negotiating directly with the owner. There was another party seriously pursuing it; but the seller and I came up with an agreement pretty quickly that suited both of us and finalized the deal.

No, it doesn't run currently. It hasn't since the very early '70's. There is a motor in the car; but no transmission. (but I know where a proper transmission is fortunately) It's going to take me a couple years to collect the correct date-coded, original period parts that it needs before I consider starting a restoration of it. Some of them are extremely rare. Unfortunately there will be a few that just plain don't exist and will have to be fabricated; but I don't want to use repro stuff on this car and I'd rather take whatever time I need to and find the correct, period parts to do this one. I'm not in a hurry.

It will be shown at the Quail then at SAAC (the national Shelby club convention) this summer, then it will return to the museum until I'm ready to start doing something with it. It's a very safe, secure home for it and a fitting place to display such a historical car.

11. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    #11 Euro Quattro, May 30, 2010
  12. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I suspect your Mustang is unique and historical enough that it transcends any exotic requirement for posting here. Great car! And, your restoration plans suggest is has
    found the right owner.

-sc

13. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    #13 Euro Quattro, May 30, 2010
  14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congratulations John!! That's a great addition to your stable.

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    What a great story and a fantastic car! It would be great to see it mechanically restored but left as is cosmetically. Would just be too cool to see it presented that way I think. Whatever you decide to do with it, congrats are still in order!!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    again, amazing find....

"i get it".... :)

17. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great car -- a very important one, at that. The original GT350Rs have always been my favorite of the Mustangs.

Years ago I did a seat-to-seat comparison test drive story on a '68 GT350 and '67 GT500. While I had driven many Mustangs, I had never piloted a GT350 and was very surprised how European it felt it many regards. Steering wheel placement/angle was pure Italian, and shift lever throw was far different from the typical Ford "set your watch ahead an hour when you cross time zones between gears 2 and 3."

Glad this car has found loving ownership. Wish I could see it in its current state, but I'm not hitting the Pebble/Monterey week this year due to family commitments. (I'm not an important enough as a journalist (meaning $$$) to get a press pass to Quail anyway. Two years ago they conveniently "lost" my press pass application and the year prior they denied my application claiming they were full. The way they exclude people even those who want to buy tickets -- often by last name seems to remind me of the gentleman's agreement days.)

18. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sorry -- my last post devolved into a rant. I'd edit it all out, but it's been too long to do so...so ignore my soapboxing. Let's just focus on the fact that the GT350R is just a fantastic ride.

19. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    I've thought about doing that; but it really isn't in "as last raced" condition or anything even close to that. Frankly, it looks the way it does because it sat exposed in the desert for so long. At some point, I'll probably restore it; but I'm not in a rush to make that decision.

20. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    Thanks again for the kind words guys. Glad that you like it.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #21 Jdubbya, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    It makes sense that it looks that way after sitting out for so long! It just looks very cool to me in it's current state. Of course part of that is the well done photo with good lighting that you posted.

I know it's probably too significant a car to not restore but I'm a fan of patina. Enjoy it whatever you decide :)

22. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Often heard at the auctions; "nicely bought"

:)

Vic

23. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That's quite the car! It's always nice when a long sought dream comes true. Enjoy it in good health!

24. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    That was one nice car buddy!

Cheers!

25. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    What a cool studio photo. Love the 350s.