Metropolitan Detail now Certified Clearplex Windshield Protection Film Installer | FerrariChat

Metropolitan Detail now Certified Clearplex Windshield Protection Film Installer

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by detailjohn, Nov 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    For many years we have been protecting your vehicle's paint and lights with Paint Protection Film (PPF) Clear Bra, but a quality product has not become available for your vehicle's windshield. This product is great for daily drivers, racecars, and exotic cars alike. Once installed, your vehicle's expensive windshield will be fully protected. Protect your windshield today. From $299.95

John

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Solicitous Bump.

I'm seriously interested in this as vintage replacement glass is not the same thickness as the original, meaning I want to preserve what I have as long as I can. I've seen an install on a Porsche 996 and really like the clarity. John and Benjamin have been very communicative. Metropolitan has tried to find a time to do this on my car, but has been busy opening a new store on the Eastside.
    Is there an announcement on the big reveal?
    http://www.metropolitandetail.com/pageContactUs

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    John,

I definitely want to do this on my car - might we have it as an FCA Tech Session?

I know a 360CS owner who had Clearplex installed, loved it and had a rock hit the Clearplex/windshield. The Clearplex sacrificed by fulling absorbing the impact but did not pass on any damage to the windshield. Owner told me that the windshields are $3700 to replace, over 10 times what the Clearplex install was.

I would think this would be very interesting to owners of vintage and modern Ferraris who drive their cars.

Scott

4. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    This sounds like a great idea Scott.

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    How long does the install take? Does any detailer in the Portland area offer Clearplex?

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mine took less than a day, free loaner car and the protection demo on a shop's windshield slice is amazing.

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#7 dinogts, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    After reading Scott's post and talking with him, I decided to have Metropolitan Clearplex (verbed) my Audi A4 Avant just after I had replaced the windshield (that had been destroyed by a rock chip that was undetectable when the windshield was nicked, but spread 6 inches within 20 minutes after I had parked the car) with new factory glass. I left the car with them overnight and picked it up the next day. They did a great job, and I am very pleased. They are nice people too.

Mark

8. mefaster

mefaster Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
    you think it would be worth it to come up from portland? I'm moving out there really soon.

9. 503motoring

503motoring Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Tim
    We used to install that product when it first came out. I think for hobbyist it is a tremendous idea but for day to day use it seemed to really get scarred quickly from windshield wiper use. We installed it on our loaner car and on my M6 and had the same issue with both as well as a customers R8 (which we removed and fully refunded). Have you found the same issue John?

10. pro-tect mobile

Jul 5, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Thom
    Same problem here. Found it to scratch VERY easily so we went to another product that seems to hav a much tougher clear coat.

11. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    Clearplex now offers a sealant, ClearX, and we put on every installation. Since the ClearX came out we have had no issues whatsoever with the wipers marring the film.

John

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for hosting the Ferrari Club of America in a wonderful Tech Session last weekend. It was an informative and revealing look at products, their application and use. Especially Thankful for the personal attention and suggestions for individual members' cars.

13. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    +1

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I heard that your wife won a free clearplex install.

Congratulations!

PS: Which car is it going on, the Alfa or the Ferrari?

15. kafugelum308

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    The Alfa's widshield is not that great. The 308s is in good condition and this will allow me to keep it that way. Ildi declined to have her CRV done :)

16. kafugelum308

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    #16 kafugelum308, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any long term updates?
    I love mine and Dino windshields are unobtanium with repros being too thin compared to the originals.

18. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    Scott did you polish your windshield first?

19. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    If you had the clearplex installed on ildi you could have sealed in that new wife shine.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I did nothing, Ben at Metropolitan Detail did everything and I couldn't be happier.
    He explained to me that there was minor glass pitting from the last 40 years and I accepted that fact as I really wanted the protection.

He followed up (at no charge) and chased the pit gaps. I've never noticed them while driving and the Dino windshield has a steeply raked angle.

21. kafugelum308

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    Well both the wife and 308 are doing fine. Wasnt sure about the clearplex at first but after about a year I am very happy with it.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Will you get Clearplex on your new Ferrari (BTW, Congratulations)