Left Lane Bandits | FerrariChat

Left Lane Bandits

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jalpa_Mike, Mar 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
  2. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In west Texas if you come up behind someone who is slower than you on a small state highway (one lane each way) they pull to the right, left tires on pavement, right tires on the shoulder, while maintaining their speed. This is so you can pass them - even with oncoming traffic! The highway shoulders there are "clean" hard packed dirt. I have not witnessed this considerate behavior anywhere else in the country but it is amazing to see it.

3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Next they should focus on those drivers that don't seem to understand "right"-of-way at a four way stop.

4. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Quite true, It freaked me out the first time I saw it, but true nonthe less!

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42978693/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/

Troopers pull over 223 passing lane 'campers' in King County

By KING 5 News

KING5

updated 39 minutes ago

SEATTLE – Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

The HOV lane does not count as the so-called "fast lane." However, that is not the case on those freeways that have HOV lanes that are not enforced 24 hours a day, such as Interstate 405, Interstate 90 east of I-405 and State Route 167. Those HOV lanes are only enforced 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. At all other times, the HOV lane then becomes the designated passing lane.

"When HOV lanes are open to all traffic, they should be treated like a regular left-side freeway lane. Left-side freeway lanes are normally reserved for passing, so are only to be used to pass," WSP spokesman Dan Coon told KING 5 last month.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    So, they got warnings? Typical...

Anyway, at least it's good to see that jurisdictions are starting to enforce this law. We have a serious problem on the East Coast, too. But, isn't it also the truth that either the slow guy in front of you is an idiot, road hog or the guy behind you thinks he's Mario Andretti.

Seriously. Drivers SUCK in the US. I guess those DMV driver tests really weed 'em out...

CW

7. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    223 drivers in a month?

They must not have been trying very hard. I'm sure they could get 223 per DAY on I-90 or 405 without any difficulty.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wish WSP could have pulled over the two idiots on I-5 southbound Boeing Field Wed morning in the left lane, in a U-haul truck with a train of cars trying to get around them...they hadn't a clue...

9. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I hate to say it but I am totally amazed that neither of my two kids has gotten a left lane bandit ticket yet. So far I just keep my mouth shut and if they get a ticket they are both adults and have to pay their own tickets. True, they are usually passing the other cars on the road but I don't think they got the message yet.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  11. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    thanks scott for single handedly keeping the NW section from dying