Separate discussion Ferrari 410SA ,once stolen, found in Grants Pass,Oregon | FerrariChat

Separate discussion Ferrari 410SA ,once stolen, found in Grants Pass,Oregon

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by bitzman, Dec 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am trying to get the story straight on the befinned 410SA coming up for sale in Jan. in Scottsdale. So far I found out it was wrested from a farmer in Oregon, though I can't believe the story on one website that he wanted to make a farm implement out of the chassis (though I have seen a Silver Chost so used).At any rate I thought some long-time Oregonian (Oregonite?) who has kept track of barn finds might know:

--once collector Greg Garrison found the chassis, why wasn't the farmer prosecuted for
    receiving or selling stolen property?

-One account says the body was thrown in a lake. I presume up there in Oregon lakes are fresh water so wouldn't the body still be there, practically undamaged? Or are there too many lakes to look in?

--Did the Californian who reported the car stolen (a Mr. Sokol) ever settle with his insurance company on the car, and if so, doesn't the insurance company own it? Or did Mr. Garrison pay them for what they paid out on the chassis?

The subject of farmers buying exotic cars always fascinates me ever since I met two brothers from Nebraska who got paid millions for not planting crops--and bought Ferraris, Cobras, and lambos.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Jdubbya, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Intersting story. I had never heard anything about it. I suppose he probably wouldn't be charged if he didn't know it was stolen. What would the statute of limitations be on something like that??

Interesting story nonetheless!! And a beautiful car to boot....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    It was in the Shop at FLV when I was there a couple year ago. Very nice!

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I know from going out to the country in Michigan that lakes are where you dump stuff.
    I wonder if the farmer escaped prosecution because he didn't know what was dumped in the lake? But if I were Garrison, I'd worry someone would come along and claim the car after he dumped a lot of money into restoring it? Or maybe he paid the insurance company who were glad to get something after long since paying off on the car (presuming it was insured).

I was surprised to read some criticism of the details of the restoration, I would have thought Garrison was working from original pictures and that he would be a stickler on authenticity since, after meeting him at a BH show I gathered he was a stickler on everything (my impression was, if you didn't know as much about Ferraris as he did, he wouldn't talk to youf for very long...).

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    If you look at the city map on Google, there is only a river. Of course if the lake is on private property, it might be on a farm and thus not on the map. I didn't look at the Satellite view

Anyhow now I am having doubts this car's chassis was found in a lake...