What is best carwash soap? | FerrariChat

What is best carwash soap?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Palermofazio, Sep 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    What is best soap to use, that does not leave a film, or water spots ?

2. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I use both the Griots stuff, as well as the Meguires Gold Class...both are excellent and create lots of suds, which is the point, to help lift and float away the dirt. Make sure to get some good thick sheep skin mitts too...Griot's has some nice onces for around $25 or $30.

Get a purpose built bucket too. Griots has one with a grate in the bottom, so the dirt falls through as you swish the mitt in the soapy water. That keeps you from picking up the dirt and putting it back on the car...and risk scratches.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think to really do it right you should use two buckets, one to rinse the mitt, then the next one with the soapy water.

6. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Dawn -- if you want to remove every last bit of oil, grease and wax on the car and not hurt the paint.

As for normal washing, it really doesn't matter which brand. They're all similar. I use Griot's, but only because it smells good and is a local company for me. I've used dozens of other products over the years, and they all seem to work just as well.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Best answer.
    And, doesn't driving your car do a lot more damage to the paint than using the one bucket to wash? The sand, bugs and road debris surely are more abrasive.... I've never understood the 2 bucket thing.

8. Seven74me

Seven74me Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    West Linn, OR
    Ok guys, its time for me to come out of the woodwork and let you all know I have opened a Griot's dealership in SE Portland. The name of the store is Sidedraught City, at the corner of 10th and SE Main right next to ATD. I have many of the great products you find in the Griot's catalog or at the great store in Tacoma at the same great prices. I honor their specials as well.
    I have plenty of Car Wash in stock right now! Stop by and check us out!
    Tuesday through Sunday hours, closed on Mondays.

Thanks
    neil

9. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's the washing off of the debris which causes the swirls in the paint. Obviously, if you get hit by rocks or sand, that is going to be abrasive to the car. But a lot of the dirt is just dirty water which dries on your car, so it's not that abrasive initially.

The second bucket is to rinse the dirt off your sponge/mitt/etc, thus decreasing the chance of the dirt wiping against the finish.

10. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Actually the magic number of buckets for washing is three.
    Here is why:
    http://portlandhomesforcars.com/sunday-washing/

And a welcome to Neil at Sidedraught City for his new business as a Griot's Garage retailer in Portland! No more shipping charges! And you can test drive many of the products in his workshop bay
    --Mark

11. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Holy crap... that 3 bucket guy goes the distance. And my wife thought the hour and a half I take to wash the car was crazy, this guy must block out a whole day just to WASH! I do like his foam gun to waskh mit idea!

I'm a Griot's guy too but am not a 3 bucket guy. I start by doing wheels only with thier own cleaning tools that never touch the cars paint, about a half hour spent just cleaning wheels and wells. As for the body typically one bucket for me, starting from the top of the car down to the waist band or door handle line. Then I wash the bottom of the car last. All wah motion is forward to back and I dry using a lubricant, Griot's Spray Wax.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've decided to use four buckets...and am considering six buckets....still working out the details of the procedure. It will include four hoses with various water pressure settings and patterns, which can be instantly accessed from various sides of the car.

13. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    This is all pretty typical for someone that properly details cars. Everything he uses(minus the products) and steps he takes is what I, and any other proper detailer I know do. The one thing I find wrong with what he suggest is to take the car for a spin to knock out any remaining water. Once the car is driven, it has dust, debris, and god knows what else on the paint. He said to do that and then take a towel to it, don't do that. I have clients that I tell NOT to use a quick detailer once the car has left the driveway. Lots of people wipe their cars down at shows after they drove the car there, this is a bad idea. Other than that, this is a day in the life of a detailer. Once you have done it for long enough, you don't have to block out a whole day, I worked on a black R8 just yesterday. The wash took less than an hour, the claying, wet sanding, polishing, and other multiple washes took 9 hours. LOL

Oh back to the original question. I know everyone is saying Griots, take a look at 1Z Einszett. They have a shampoo called Perls. FANTASTIC product. Made to use just once a month to help prolong the wax on your vehicle. I use it every week on my cars and its the only shampoo I use on my clients cars, very low sudsing but is super slick and is the only TRUE wash and wax product I have seen/used before.

14. koikmo

koikmo Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    I am thinking to buy TriNova car wash soap. Any member uses this soap before?
    Or I should stick with Griot's car wash soap. I am seeing here few members have good experience with Griot's car wash.

15. koikmo

koikmo Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

17. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I use Adams car wash soap in my foam cannon/pressure washer. The combination gives me a thick 2" soap coating that helps loosen dirt/debris and acts as a protective layer while washing the car.
    For drying I use a Metro Master blaster which virtually eliminates using towels for drying, which in turn minimizes the chance of spots, scratches and marring.

18. frankie360

frankie360 Rookie

Jul 6, 2004
    IMO The best of the best is carbath shampoo from Swissvax

swissvax.us

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey, Frankie is on Fchat! ;) Welcome Frankie...and thanks for the crab feed a while back, that was great fun.