Car storage in Portland | FerrariChat

Car storage in Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by frankwissman, Sep 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frankwissman

frankwissman Karting

May 6, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Frank Wissman
    Hi, folks,

It looks like we might be moving to Portland in Oct / Nov, I'll be needing a place to store my 246 for a few months while we find a house. Does anyone have a favorite shop / service?

Thanks!
    Frank

2. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Northwest Self Storage. I don't have a car stored there, but they are the class of the self-storage companies.

As for a favorite shop, that's easy: The Jag Shop, 5710 E. Burnside Street. 503-731-9919. Craig Nelson (Monza 456 in F-Chat) is the owner, a former Ferrari tech. He owns a 430 Scuderia now. He would also probably know of a place for your Dino.

Welcome to Portland! :)

3. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    Welcome to Stumptown Mr. Wissman. Be sure to bring your galoshes and umbrella! ATD at 13th and Main SE +1 (503) 232-5401 is a long standing indie shop and recommended by Keith Martin of SCM, as well as myself. Portland Luxury RV storage was recommended to me and looks good--I'll probably move my Dino GT4 to the Tualitin location.
    Portland Luxury R.V. & Boat Storage

I'd be happy to show you round my hometown.

Cheers,
    Matthew

4. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Frank,
    Welcome in advance to Portland. Two of the three recommended independent shops have already been mentioned (The Jag Shop and ATD) with the third being Veloce Motors just south of Portland in Gervais (503) 274-0064 at 5291 Concomly Rd NE, Gervais, OR. And of course there is always Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo, the oldest Ferrari dealer in the US.

For storage, I would second Portland Luxury RV and Boat storage in Tualatin which I suggested to Matt last weekend for his Dino. I have had several clients store their vehicles there for both short and long term storage.

When you arrive, please be sure to connect with the Northwest region of the Ferrari Club of America. As the Regional Director, I will make sure we introduce you to the local group of enthusiasts for our events and activities.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest,
    --Mark Scholz
    Regional Director
    Northwest Region, Ferrari Club of America

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Don't believe him. NO ONE wears galoshes or carries an umbrella in Portland. You are supposed to wear a Columbia Sportswear or Patagonia waterproof shell and waterproof shoes and a broad-brimmed hat from REI. :D

6. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    Sorry, I'm from old time Portland. Not up on the newbie fashion!

7. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Are these recommendations about Indies repair shops and Storage still valid today? Sorry to up an older post, but i didn't want others to think I didn't do my home work. :)

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Jag shop still there, Craig is a busy man ;)

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    ATD is still around, although they have moved. Jim Trofiter is still doing the work, though, and he knows what he is doing on older cars.

10. PlaysWithItalians

PlaysWithItalians Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2007
    PacNW
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Veloce Motors has closed as the owners have moved to Reno.
    The Jag Shop and ATD are still open and very busy.

As for storage, they have consolidated to a single location with a new name:
    Luxury Vehicle Care
    Storage, Service, and Detailing for Cars, Boats, RVs and Trailers

11. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Thank you EnzoJr, donv and PlaysWithItalians for your advice. I reserved a spot at Luxury Care as of Oct. 1st and will call The Jag Shop to schedule a full service and ABS repair. (ABS ECU failed a couple three years ago and Fernando @ Competizione in MD (a sponsor here) said I needed a new ECU: I found one in Europe and received it a few days ago.

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    WilyB? how's your experience with Luxury Care? Good rates? I'm looking at prices to storage a F430

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    anything?

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    $154 a month. that's not bad. think i may go for it

15. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Sorry, I missed your post. Luxury care have been very nice people to deal with. Unfortunately they moved further away from downtown Portland right after I signed up my lease. They very graciously refunded my money.

I will very much deal with them in the future.

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know who does car storage in downtown Portland, although I'd be interested to find out. You could always get a parking space in Fox Tower, and park on one of the lower levels, and I think you'd be fine, especially if you used a cover. I think City Center Parking requires you to move the car every so often, though.

17. 993 911

993 911 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jack D
    If you are looking for "downtown" storage, Uptown Auto Detail in Goose Hollow has limited storage space. Might be worth giving the owner, Jon, a call.

18. Arsenal

Arsenal Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Depending on the car, there's a few collections in downtown you may be able to join.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is there one by 25th and Lovejoy (next to the clinic)?

I've seen that building with the door opened once or twice, and it certainly didn't look like ordinary doctor parking.

Of course, you always run the risk of being collateral damage from someone blowing up the clinic...

20. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    There used to be a collection stored in that vicinity...a very high end Mercedes was once part of it.