ODOT & PDOT Are Useless! | FerrariChat

ODOT & PDOT Are Useless!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by surfwolf, Feb 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    As a child I lived in the North East, US (Delaware) & we had lots of snow/ice every year. The snow plows/ sanding trucks / salting trucks were out working AS SOON AS the storms started and roadways remained open/passable up to 24" of snow! Here in Oregon/Portland they do NOT start the prep/clearing the roadways until after the weather event has happened. Why? It is bad enough that they use small rocks/gravel (paint chips & windshield spiders all the time!) to aid traction instead of sand (too costly), but I have NOT seen any ODOT/PDOT presence on ANY secondary roads. Why do these people have jobs sucking off public funds & do NOT perform well (at all!) when needed 2 or 3 times a year? Now I will NOT be able to drive my Ferrari for 2 or 3 weeks until all the rocks/gravel are kicked off the roads by people who do not care about their cars.

2. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    The last time we had snow of this magnitude was 2008 I believe here in Portland.

We do not need snow removal frequently enough to invest substantial funds in it.

3. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Cous,

I agree that this is unusual weather for Portland but 3 or more (Thursday afternoon thru Monday) lost business days revenues would pay for the infrastructure needed. Nothing justifies ODOT/PDOT using rocks & gravel for traction vs. sand! ...Other than keeping the auto glass companies making money.

4. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Not even close, the business revenue from those three days would not pay for all those 50K + trucks and the people to operate them once every 5 years. A lot of business were still open, hell I went to my local watering hole today until they closed because of freezing rain that we are getting now.

Also I think they don't start getting ready until once the storm begins because we can't predict with enough certainty that something will happen. It seems Wednesday night they were expecting 2" and that it would be done by Friday.
    Last time they predicted snow nothing happened so it would be money wasted.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I believe PDOT and ODOT could do a lot with equipment and people they already have, and in the past they have done so. For some reason, they aren't doing it this time.

Personally, I blame Charlie Hales, for being at a "climate change" conference in South Africa during all of this. They're probably discussing how there won't be any snow in the future...

6. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

I lived in NY in the '90's. During a blizzard in 1996 (I think), it took me 4.5 hours to get home (Port Jefferson) coming from Connecticut which was a 130-miles trip. I thought that was to be my worst experience driving in the snow. Last Friday, it took me about 10 1/2 hrs from Portland to Corvallis (75-miles). Condition worsened as I headed south. No plowing, they don't put salt in the roads. I was just thankful to be home in one piece.

7. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    The snow appears to be thawing as I just got back from several errands. In three or four more years when the next Major Snowfall happens we can debate if they learned anything. In the meantime, I will be thankful that the climate here in Portland is mild. In a couple more years when this repeats, we can discuss if that years attempts were better at managing snow removal than they were previously!

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I saw a Washington County snowplow/sander this afternoon, so at least they're doing something.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Taking out trash--in Lake Oswego it is re-freezing. My very neighborhood street was sanded today, and the street very close to my house was plowed. None of that really is going to help as everything re-freezes. Everyone be careful out there.

10. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    I live in boise, ID and drive a snow plow. The key is to have every piece of equipment out when the first flake hits the ground. Once it gets packed by cars no plow is going to get under the snow. A road grader will that's about it. But a issue with plowing snow is where to put it. We only plow rural areas. City street and housing areas just get salt and sand at stop signs and intersections. Majority if our streets are clear today after working 12hrs on 12 off with 2 crews for about 4 days. Now sweepers are out cleaning up sand. Good luck to you Portland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    In 2008 there was a major storm that left pot holes in I-5 just north of the Rose Quarter. A reporter got an interview with the then mayor Sam Adams. She asked "We understand you are spending more money on bike lanes then repairing the roads". Mayor Adams leaned in and replayed, "Yes". . . There was a long pause while the reporter processed the an answer she was not expecting. "Really?", she finally replied. The Mayor went on to say that Portlanders should get use to ruff roads. When Charlie Hales became Mayor he discovered hid predecessor had sold off the repair equipment.

The last few days of snow have got me wondering. Do any of those people who drive around six months out of the year with snow tires, drive at all in the last few days...