Sun valley road rally | FerrariChat

Sun valley road rally

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ctvoigts, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    Anybody on here going to the sun valley road rally next weekend. My wife and I are gonna head down there to watch and it looks like a good time.

Sun Valley Road Rally - Home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ugh. I'll be in Sun Valley this Sunday-Wednesday for a mini-honeymoon and will miss this. I imagine it'll be pretty cool.

3. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts

Yea it should be. I saw a pic on Facebook it said these cars will be involved. Enjoy your mini honeymoon. I still need to go on mine one day. [​IMG]

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Stopped by Sun Valley Auto Club yesterday and got to see the 918s (there are two) and two Bugattis. Porsche people were very nice and I was able to spend some time with one of the engineers and discuss the technical details of the car. Good times.

5. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts

Very cool at least you were able to get a small taste. I will post pics when I get back.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes indeed! Take a lot of photos!

FYI, they are not running the 918s during the rally, they are only for show. Lyle Pearson sent up a Turbo and Turbo S for the runs.

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #7 Gran Drewismo, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Looks like at least five Veyrons are there per the SVAC Facebook page.

They haven't shown pics of the Grand Sport but according to the Bugatti people it was a client car and we were told no pictures since "the client has the right to see it first." I'm assuming that means it was brand new.

8. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts

This is absolutely amazing. Taking pics with my real camera but there is about about 14 billion people here. Yea [​IMG]n will upload in a few days that aventador from 2c here and a black gt-r from the area.

9. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    [​IMG]

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Appropriate restaurant for the Bugatti.

11. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    [​IMG]the 2c aventador

12. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    #12 ctvoigts, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    some pics. Most of my pictures turned out like crap. I'm not sure why. My camera has been in the closet collecting dust for awhile maybe I need to take it in and get serviced or something. I was bummed they didn't run the 918, but i am ecstatic I got to see Ben Chen do his run @ 246 MPH. I will be better prepared next year. We were running out the door Friday because i got off work late, had to get the dogs to doggy daycare and a few other mishaps. So we forgot our chairs, cooler, and water. Not sure how that happened. Then Saturday morning we had to wait for the bus that takes you to the closed off spectator area for almost an hour and a half. They definitely weren't expecting this many people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    #14 ctvoigts, Jul 28, 2014
  14. TheStradman

TheStradman Karting

May 11, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Full Name:
    James
  15. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    #16 ctvoigts, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

Very nice videos. I recorded with my GoPro but it didn't come out. I was to far which I figured. Oh well. I wonder what happened to that gt-r 😭 it didn't sound good at all. Also I've seen that Bugatti video all over good job.

16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Cool pics. Shame the Huayra didn't show up. The 918s are pretty cool, aren't they? After talking with the Porsche people I have a new respect for that car.

17. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts

Yea I was really looking forward to seeing the Huayra. Something tells me the lamborghini super trofeo replaced it. What did Porsche have to say about the 918? I didn't get to talk to anyone about it.

18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That Super Trofeo was quite a surprise. Did it sound amazing?

Porsche said a lot. I spoke with an engineer from Motorsport for about 20 minutes and he gave me some ins and outs of the car. He is the go to guy for dealership mechanics who run into problems so it was great to talk to somebody about all the technical details.

Also got a chance to talk with a dude who's job it was to help clients spec cars above and beyond what's on the online configurator. He told me that it's extensive but nothing to what they can/will do.

Some tid bits I left with:

Just about every buyer of the Weissach package pays to have the A/C and radio back in. Clever guys those Porsche people.

There's an accelerometer mounted in the bottom of the car between the seats that can account for the wobble of the earth.

If the car needs an alignment it must also be corner balanced and they use .1 mm increments.

The Michelin tires have velour on the sidewalls. Not sure why, but it's fun to touch.

Porsche knows that most of their clients don't have the skills or will get remotely close to extract the best out of the car, it's mostly about marketing and salesmanship. An interesting omission on that.

There's a lot of other fun facts but I'm at work now and am drawing a blank on the rest. I'll post more later. Suffice it to say, it's a pretty impressive car.

19. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
    #20 ctvoigts, Jul 29, 2014

Wow thats amazing. This is a modern day CGT. I wish i would have touched the sidewalls.
    Here's some more pics the orange Gemballa is a car from Boise and the GT-R is a car from around here. The GT-R was wicked fast I forget the speed but 200+ MPH. Something happened on its last run though and limped across the finish line.

20. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
  21. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts
  22. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great shots, thanks for posting. Didn't realize one of the Veyrons was a Grand Sport Vitesse. Rare spot.

Did you see the silver over tan Grand Sport I mentioned? I haven't seen pics of it anywhere so I'm guessing it was dormant during the event.

23. ctvoigts

ctvoigts Karting

Oct 8, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    chris voigts

I didn't see the tan grand sport. Yes and the white and black "panda" was a pur blanc which is 1 of 1 I believe.

24. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #25 Gran Drewismo, Jul 30, 2014
    I think you're right. I saw the car in Carmel last year when he pulled up to the restaurant we were eating at. Couple crappy iPhone pics.