Oregon Coast Ferrari friendly hotels? & mt St. Helens | FerrariChat

Oregon Coast Ferrari friendly hotels? & mt St. Helens

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by dustman, Oct 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Bucket list drive coast of Cali up thru Oregon coast, looking for hotels where it is safe to park the 458 without concern.

As an aside, I will likely drive up to mt St. Helens and possibly crater lake if you have any thoughts on the roads there (no hotel needed). Drove Helens in a rental once and loved it. Crater looks like an incredible drive too.

Thank you very much in advance guys....been looking forward to this drive for a decade.

DW

2. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Sounds like an awesome adventure. Have fun and post pics, eventually!

3. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great question Dustman. I'm relatively new to the blog and surprised this type of question doesn't come up more often. I'm wanting to do the same drive plus others in the pacific west and the shared knowledge of all owners would be priceless for trip planning. I hope you get some good responses for all our sakes.

I'll start by recommending the Davenport Hotel in downtown Spokane for those going that direction. Call ahead and they'll ensure a space right by the covered front entrance where there is 24/7 staff on duty.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you!

5. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Depends on what you're concerned about. If it's theft or vandalism, I wouldn't worry about that anywhere on the Oregon coast. Shouldn't be an issue.

If it's rain, or you require inside parking, that can be more difficult. I know one of the hotels in Cannon Beach has covered parking, but I can't remember which one. I believe the Shilo in Seaside also has a parking structure, but you don't really want to stay in downtown Seaside.

I can't think of any which have covered parking on the south coast, although I rarely go south of Newport.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    +1. Even the toniest places in Cannon Beach (e.g., The Stephanie Inn) don't have covered parking. When I went to Cannon Beach last week, I brought my car cover to protect the leather against the sun; that's really all you need.

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The red car cover with logo won't hide her, so I ordered a non descript cover.
    Looks like forecast is for rain, so I may have to cancel.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you're worried about rain, then the Oregon coast isn't the place for you.

Or, at least, do it in August, but even then I wouldn't guarantee no rain.

11. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Last summer took my 360 from Phoenix to LA, then all the way up the coast to Lincoln City. We would just drive till we wanted to stop, then find some little hotel and stay there, All of them would let you park right in front, never felt like the car was not safe. Some great little place, and a lot of fun, people real love the cars, and very respectful of them. Go have fun, and enjoy the trip, the car will be safe.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Has been nice last few weeks...esp mt St. Helens area. But not next week.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Pulled trip up a week, will be at mt St. Helens Thursday, hopefully Rainer too, then back down into Oregon and Cali. Not giving up bucket list.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Trip completed....2k miles....stunning drive up Helens and then Rainier, down Oregon coast. No rain.

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You timed it perfectly; rain just started this weekend.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wasn't a car in the mt St. Helens park when I drove in....30+ miles of twisties to myself...what a joy.

17. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That's the PNW :). No problem parking outside on the coast run down 101, I assume. Favorite coast town?

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No problems parking mainly because I drove from apx 8am to 1am the first day. Parked in Astoria and took the risk at a hotel, no issues, had a relatively hidden spot.
    Next day I made it to central California and parked at a relatives house in a very small town.

I must say, you Pac Norwesters have the best roads, and the scenery is incredible...I hope you put miles on your cars like I did.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Which hotel in Astoria?

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Holiday Inn, of all places. I'd stayed there before years earlier.
    The places I really wanted were booked solid.

21. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, we do. For me, it's almost 30,000 miles in the last 7 years, which, considering you usually go out for a drive only 4-5 months out of the year, is pretty good.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Great to hear....such roads, friendly people, and the scenery is second only to Switzerland....maybe!

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    For your next trip, head out to "Oregon's Alps" near Joseph!