Portland shop recommendation for a battery replacement housecall | FerrariChat

Portland shop recommendation for a battery replacement housecall

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by emissary, Nov 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    A really good friend of mine lives up in Portland; he's got an Audi R8 V10 with a completely dead battery (no luck recharging or jump-starting) and is looking for a local independent shop to make a housecall to replace the battery. Might anyone have a quality recommendation? Thanks in advance!

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Can the dude not replace his own battery? Or is there something I'm missing about the R8?

3. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't know about the Audi, but on my 456GT I had to remove some stuff, including the coolant reservoir, to remove the battery.

Some folks are just "hands off" and never try to do any work on their cars.

They're missing part of the joy of automobile ownership.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I guess he could call Sunset... have they gotten any better on the Audi side?

For an R8, that's probably what I would do, regardless of how lame they are. The independent guys I know all specialize in older German cars.

In the past, I have heard that Sunset's east side shop is actually pretty good, but that was several years ago.

5. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks donv! I'll pass that along to my friend.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah. Grab some tools and do it himself. Haha.

7. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    While I appreciate that replacing a battery is certainly a feasible do-it-yourself task, the reality is that if you don't know what you're doing, you're taking some inherent risk in trying to do it yourself. I owned my Gallardo for 5 years before I decided to try to disconnect the battery myself to clear a code. I successfully disconnected the battery, but in doing so, I broke the trunk light plastic housing and one of the tub plugs. Granted these were small plastic items, but replacing them came at Lamborghini prices...which weren't exactly cheap. My point is that if you're going to start learning to work on cars, you probably don't want to start on a $100k+ R8. An additional labor cost of $100-200 for someone qualified and experienced to do the job is money well spent towards avoiding breaking parts and potentially damaging expensive electrical systems.

This is why I'm looking for a recommendation for my friend for a shop that will come out and replace the battery. When the battery died on my Gallardo in the first year I owned it, I had someone come out from our local independent shop (German Master Tech here in Bend...they're awesome) to replace my battery; what I'm looking for is basically a Portland equivalent.