Importing a car from Canada | FerrariChat

Importing a car from Canada

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jonny Law, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Has anyone ever imported a Ferrari from Canada? Looking at a car and was wondering if anyone had done this before. I called the US customs office Tacoma and they were less then helpful.

Another question. Is New Jersey the only port of entry for any Ferrari coming to North America?

Thanks, Jon

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Dave Handa imported his BMW 540M from Canada years ago. I'm sure he could give you some basic pointers, although some laws and regs may have changed since then.

3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Thanks

4. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    What would you like to know? I imported a factory Porsche race car from Canada and proceeded to get it titled and street-registered in King County.

5. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Did you have to pay taxes on the car to bring it in to the US? One Customs agent said they could look up a VIN number and tell if the car was imported through the US before it was taken to CA, thus not needing to pay the excise tax. Then a second said they didn't have that technology. What was your experience?

Did you finance the car, and is there any place that will finance a car that is being purchased in CA and brought in to US?

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe customs does keep computer records of vehicles exported to Canada. I've imported several cars from the U.S. into Canada. You must stop at U.S. customs, they do a title search and issue an export document. If the car originally was in the U.S. and properly exported customs would have a record of it.

Second. Canada and the United States share database information, from criminal to motor vehicle registration information. When you cross the border, they scan and run the license plate information. This gives the full registration history of the vehicle. If you didn't properly export for example, customs can tell. They can fine and seize the vehicle.

Net is they can tell all. Computer's and database information is out there. Customs has more access then anyone. long way of saying yes they can tell if the vehicle was imported into the U.S and duties have been paid.

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Ok, good to know. Is there a department who could look this up for me, and how would I contact them? I hate to get all the way to the boarder to find out how much it will cost to cross.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I only know for exporting. I had to make an appointment at the border crossing. Its easier to phone a border crossing direct over asking the 800 line. If the car is in Vancouver, Id use the Blaine truck crossing. They import/export more goods then the non commercial crossing at Peace Arch. Despite being "commercial" anyone can cross there.

Blaine | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Even if not Vancouver, Blaine should be able to answer all questions.

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Thanks, I'll give them A call.

11. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

I paid use tax in WA when I registered it. I imported it through Ontario/New York border.

Mine was a Canadian model and US Customs didn't have records of it and it was over 20 years old though.

No financing. This one might take more creativity i.e. seller cooperation to pull off US financing.

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    A Canadian model would not have been imported into the U.S. So no they wouldn't have records. If it was originally an American market car and exported to Canada, then U.S customs would have a record.

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    It was designed for the US market, but its CarFax shows the first registration being Ontario. Not sure if it would have been shipped there first or not.

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Most cars sold in Canada are U.S. spec. Besides daytime running lights and stricter bumper crash standards. Our emissions and standards are the same as the U.S.

15. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Go through Doug De Muro's articles on importing a car.

Doug DeMuro

He's importing an R32 skyline and goes over this exact process. (among others) You have great timing btw.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    If it was registered first in Ontario, suspect it was never imported to the U.S. officially. The duty in that case wouldn't have been paid.

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    So how would the estimate the duty, on the original price, current market value or sale price?

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe its like the DMV, they go by sale price.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #19 Ak Jim, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    I've imported two cars from Canada.

First one my 1975 Ferrari. It was really simple due to the age of the car. They basically looked at the data plate to confirm the age and country of origin. Italian cars are taxed at 2.5% so I showed them the bill of sale and they calculated the tax, I paid it by credit card. They then took the Canadian documents and gave me American documents I took to the DMV to get my plates. I did this at Port Huron MI. The interesting point is I got there at 2215 and they had a shift change at 2300 so when the new guy came on shift (paper work wasn't complete by 2300) he had to start the entire process over. Over all it was a good experience and the customs guys were ok to work with.

Second one was a brand new car. I imported this one thru Blaine. Once again I showed them the paper work and they inspected the car. Since this was a new car they looked for a 50 states emission placard (even though it was a Canadian car it said it was 50 state legal). The next thing they looked for a Canadian crash worthiness plackard. After they did that they calculated the duty and I paid it. The big difference is the guy in Blaine was a complete *****. The phrase jack booted thug described him to a T. Not only this but he filled out the wrong form. When I took it to the DMV I was out of luck, they couldn't register the car. I called the supervisor of the Blaine office, since I live in AK it wasn't practicle to go back to the office. I faxed the wrong form to them and they sent me the correct paper work to get my plates.

20. Mjc7989

Mjc7989 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2015
    Vancouver
    Does anyone know if there is a requirement to change the speedo from kilometres to miles when importing a Canadian car to the U.S?

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    No requirement if the car is over 25 years old for sure.

22. Mjc7989

Mjc7989 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2015
    Vancouver
    I want to import an F430. Im pretty sure that you have to change the odometer and speedo readings from kilometres to miles. I don't know though if there is a grace period to this in, so that it can be done in the U.S. Rather than Canada?

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No grace period, it will be inspected at port of entry for proper speedo. Understand that for private importation for personal use, you only need the speedo reading MPH, even lower case is fine. They don't care about the odo...but if the speedo only reads in KPH, then it will need to be switched. I have heard some have gotten in with having the die cut stick on numbers...never tried it. I imported a BMW several years ago, and just took it to the BMW Store on Burrard for the gauge cluster swap. About $900 and they converted the kms to miles on the new odo as well.

You also need a letter from FNA stating the car meets DOT and EPA regs at time of manufacture. I hear they charge a pretty penny for that. ;)
    Going by memory, but I think I also needed a document from ICBC stating the car had no liens and title was clear. Just google search, there is a lot of info on the US Customs website as well as on various forums.

24. Mjc7989

Mjc7989 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2015
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the reply. I've discovered a company out of California, Francorchamps America that will recalibrate and put new dial on the speedo. It takes 2 days and is about $800. I need to remove the cluster and send it to them.
    I'm hoping that I don't need the letter from FNA, provided I use an RI. I've heard that FNA letters can be pricey, and take time to get, if they will even cooperate.
    Any further insights are appreciated!

25. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Vehicle compliance letter from FNA is $550