10-story cell tower proposed for Chuckanut scenic byway | FerrariChat

10-story cell tower proposed for Chuckanut scenic byway

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by eric, Jun 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Maybe anyone here who knows the road, passes this spot at a clip fast enough to never even notice, but this does impact a road many of us have enjoyed for both the scenery and the pavement. Check out the article on King5 news about a proposed cellular tower, and good grief, possibly even more offensive, the 100 foot tall grain silo to "hide" the tower being proposed alongside Chuckanut Drive and if it bothers you as much as does others, maybe make some noise.

10-story cell tower proposed for Chuckanut scenic byway

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks Eric, I didn't know, and kinda surprised nothing in the Bellingham Herald, which I read online two or three times a week...I drive that route 5 or 6 times a year...that would be pretty unsightly. I will watch the Herald, as I am sure there will be some way to comment on this project.

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    This is one of those NIMBY (not in my backyard) stories. "Yeah, we need it, but not here." It's a not particularly scenic part of a well-traveled road (I've done it a few times). The tower will be tall but probably very slender and the effect will ultimately be less than the row of utility poles already there. Part of the price of connectivity and a lot less of an eyesore than a forest that has been clearcut, for example. (Bet you expected me to go all Prius, didn't you? :D).

4. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Funny you should say that. Watch the piece on the news or read the article and you might note that Doug actually says he'd be happy if it were in his backyard (or really, any other backyard not directly adjacent to the road). Problem is not the existance or need for the tower which we all acknowledge, but the specific placement of it and the inappropriate design of the enclosure.

5. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Of course he would like it in his backyard because he would get a payment every month from Verizon for the use of his property. It's a big tower serving a flat area just like you see along I-90 in eastern Washington. To keep up with service demands it has to be in that area.

The Chuckanut byway itself spoiled that scenic area a long time ago bringing noisy cars that pump out pollution - people probably fought that as well - but drivers seem to enjoy using it now!

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    In the midst of a lot of stuff and I didn't listen to the clip all the way through; just heard the beginning of the rant. Didn't read the article either, so I did jump to a quick assumption. I withdraw my post. :(

7. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Is cool. I hesitated to post at all, knowing it was likely to spawn a few NIMBY rants. But I know Doug well, and know that this is more than frustration at a tower in his view, and knew that others might care or be interested.

(Dave: let me know if you find something in the Herald).

I'll crawl back in my cave and resume lurking now...