Duffy Lake Driving Loop | FerrariChat

Duffy Lake Driving Loop

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by masonb, Aug 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. masonb

masonb Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    #1 masonb, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just completed an epic drive up in BC, and want to HIGHLY recommend it.

If you have a great sports car (which you probably do) and love to drive (which you probably do), this is definitely something to make time for.

This was one of the top five driving roads I have been on. There are quite a few 20 mph switchbacks, and some decent straights to stretch your legs a little too. The majority of the road surface is excellent. The scenery is quite good as well.

I left from Vancouver and went counter-clockwise, ending up in Whistler for the night (6 hours). The total loop is about 350 miles.

I recommend going on a week day. There were very few RVs or Semis. The surface wasn't all perfectly smooth, but most of it was quite good. The 45 minutes or so that was roughly patched was good enough for my 89 Mondial Cabrio. There are some dips, so if you are driving a real chin scraper this may not be for you.

There are a few one lane bridges, but no real lineups.

Here is a link that I found with more info:

Duffy Lake Route | Canada Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Happy motoring!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Have a recommendation for hotels @ Whistler?

This looks like a great drive for the latter part of September.

Thanks for your post.

DJ

3. masonb

masonb Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    #3 masonb, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    I ended up at the Listel in Whistler (well kept, free breakfast and wifi), which was pretty reasonable at $110/night. It has a great restaurant and an underground parking lot (recommended because you can park your own car flanked by concrete posts that separate you from other cars). :)

The Listel is right in the village.

The range of hotels in Whistler is impressive. While I was there, I was in the Four Seasons and the Fairmont. Both look fantastic and have the requisite high-end amenities. They are a little further from the village.

You can also stay in Vancouver for the night, where the range of hotels is even greater. I've always liked the Hotel Vancouver and the Four Seasons. They usually have some very reasonable rates in the off-season. However I have never brought my Mondial up there, and always fear the valet parking at places like that.

FYI to all looking to take the trek from Seattle, I did a total of 700 miles. Trouble free and lots of smiles per mile.

Enjoy

4. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    #4 330gt, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The BC chapter is having a drive with an overnight in Whistler on the weekend of 9/19 and 20. This isn't the full loop, but Whistler to Lillooet over the Duffy Lake Road for lunch and then back to Vancouver through Whistler. So the best of the Duffy twice!

As mentioned in this thread, there are plenty of less expensive hotel options in Whistler.

I'm going in my 330 GT leaving the Seattle area around 7 to get to N. Van. by 10. I've driven the Duffy in it a couple of times. Fun road!

Note, the Whistler Village Beer Festival (http://www.whistler.com/events/whistler-village-beer-festival/) starts on the 16th with 70 breweries, so one can go up early for some serious beer tasting.

PS, the link in the PDF for the Saturday night dinner didn't work for me, but I found:
    http://wl.ticketzone.com/event/Foodie-Event-Barley-and-The-Beast/294778?afflky=WhistlerVillageBeerFest

Here are a couple of write-ups from previous Duffy Lake trips:
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/308/Stranded.htm
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/2005CMT.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Great information and thank you.

Wondering if it would be good to spend at least one night @ Harrison. Have never been there and we seem to be interested in doing so. Then after that stop, on to Whistler for a couple of nights.

Appreciate any other information about these areas.

Thanks,

DJ

6. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    You could go up early to Harrison and then meet in N. Van on Saturday for the drive to Whistler. After the drive on Sunday, stay longer in Whistler if you want.

Or, continue onto Harrison from the lunch in Lillooet on Sunday.

There are 2 of us going on the drive, leaving Sammamish around 7 on Saturday morning.