DEQ Vehicle Inspection | FerrariChat

DEQ Vehicle Inspection

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Raconteur, Oct 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Greetings Fellow FChatters.

I am looking to purchase a 360 currently located in The Republic of California. CA DMV title transfer requirements state the SELLER must provide a Smog Certificate. To complicate matters, as I have been informed by a very reputable independent Ferrari mechanic (post PPI), beginning 01 January this year, aftermarket emissions equipment (headers, mufflers, etc.) not certified by the California Air Resources Board is not acceptable. In fact, one would have to reinstall the original equipment for a facility to even begin emissions testing.

My questions are:

1) Since the vehicle will have a new title in Oregon, do you know if the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality takes the same rigid "no aftermarket" position? When I transferred title on my current DD, there was no equipment inspection, just the need to pass the emissions test. I do not know if the regulations have changed in 6 years.

2) Do you need to have an out-of-state smog certificate and provide to DEQ as part of the vehicle inspection? I do not recall needing this. But as I mentioned, it's been 6 years.

I've looked at information on the DEQ and DMV websites. Not much help. Ergo, I'm reaching out to the Cavillino Tifoso Brain Trust herein.

I plan to visit DEQ Monday for answers. Will share what I find out also.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Frank

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I would not tell them about the aftermarket parts. They will check the VIN because it was an out of state purchase.
    Don't think they care about an out of state smog certain, they want their money and you need their pass/fail form.
    I seriously doubt the DEQ could even spot an aftermarket part on a F car ;)

3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    +1

If it passes the test, I doubt they would care what kind of parts are on it. Just remind them its no a VW diesel. :)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think this is a complex question. It sounds like there are two parts:

1) What documentation/testing do you need to get it sold in California;

2) What documentation/testing do you need to register it in Oregon.

I don't know much about 1), sorry.

As for 2), if it is an OBD-II car and it doesn't have any error codes, then I think Oregon DEQ will just plug in, read the codes, and pass it. Unless the aftermarket stuff is really obvious, I doubt they will notice.

Does it have all the emission controls in place, and something like a Tubi? I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue. If the emission controls have been removed or something, then you might have a problem.

Of course, the safe thing to do is register it outside of DEQ coverage, but that might not be an option. Then you wouldn't have to do anything.

5. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just went through this in OR. As long as the car has an OBD2 connector, DEQ will use this to check emission status. The car will still pass with one emission monitor not set; it will fail if two monitors are not set. It is easy to check the emission monitor status via any of the OBD2 scanners

6. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Much thanks for everyone's information, feedback, and comments. Truly appreciated.

I just closed on the 360. It will be in Portland in the next week+, pending final hauler scheduling.

As Gerald indicated, and I have since learned from other friends, DEQ will connect the car to the OBD2 scanner and as long as the emissions controls have not been monkeyed with, it should be fine.

I'll post results once I complete the registration in the coming weeks.

Thank you again.

Cheers.
    Frank

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I bought my 456M with an aftermarket Tubi exhaust in Cali and brought it back and had it registered and DEQ'ed with no problems. If the codes read okay on the plug in, you're good to go.

8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The only gotcha with an OBD-II car is the possibility to fail a visual (or audible) inspection. That is, if a car has blue smoke coming out the tailpipe, the inspector can require the sniff test. Or, if a car is too loud, they will visually inspect the exhaust to ensure presence of catalytic converters, etc...possibly followed by the sniff test.

IOW, OBD-II cars almost always simply get plugged in...but, the sniff test can still be done at the discretion of the test operator.

9. windanseaphoto

Nov 27, 2008
    Is this rule already in effect (as of Jan 1 2015) or is this a new rule which will be enforced Jan 1 2016?

10. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    You will have no problem at DEQ it just gets plugged in and your on your way. Took me 10 minutes in my new Italian about a month ago.

11. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #11 Raconteur, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The seller would only need to provide a CA smog certificate if it was going to a CA resident. All you need is the signed CA title. Then go through the Oregon registration process.