Portland Suggestions | FerrariChat

Portland Suggestions

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by chet, Apr 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I will be in Portland for the next week. Any suggestions on restaurants, golf or activities would be appreciated. I am taking my 10yo son to ski racing camp at Mt Hood and then will be solo. Staying at the Heathman Hotel.

Thanks in advance.

2. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi Chet.

The Screen Door for the best friend chicken west of the Mississippi...either for dinner or chicken and waffles for breakfast. Worth the wait. No reservations. Under $25 for dinner per person minus drinks.

Accanto, baby sister restaurant to acclaimed Ava Gene (~2 month reservation wait), for Italian.

You are walking distance to Brunch Box for a really good burger.

Blue Plate is also close for their Northwest Sliders and fountain drinks. Guy Fieri filmed there. $10 for two huge sliders and awesome potato salad.

Also walking distance is Bunk Sandwich. IMO their Cuban is the best.

For something a little more fancy or exotic...Higgins is 4 blocks from Heathman. Veritable Quandry is a few more blocks. The Little Pidgeon is next to Bunk.

Iron Chef winner's Imperial is also close...but I think he's overrated and rely on win to carry.

PM for more if you want as I'm a major foodie :).

You should take your son to the Oregon Zoo or OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).

Cheers,
    Frank

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Legal pot stores galore, not into it but there are plenty around. Might be interesting to just walk into a "legal" pot store .....and look around.
    Friends say Pumpkin Ridge or the Reserve for golf, 15 miles west of downtown.

4. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sorry...The Little Bird...damn my French is horrible LOL

5. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Going to Ava Gene tomorrow and Fogo de Chao tonight. Will try to go to Screen Door tomorrow am and then OMSI before dropping my son off at ski camp.

Thanks for the recommendations!

6. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    We had a very good dinner at Little Bird.
    Andina is always a favorite when we go down to Portland.
    Some interesting food trucks; I liked Eurotrash.

7. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Lineup down the block for screen door and we arrived 15 min before they opened.

8. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Activities:

Portland Art Museum

Saturday market / walk along waterfront

Visit / hike Multnomah Falls

If time and weather permit, head north on I-5 then follow signs to Johnson ridge / Coldwater ridge (Mt. St. Helens)

soak in a tub at Bagby Hot Springs

Hike lava tubes at Ape Cave (Cougar, Wa.)

Visit Ron Tonkin dealership in Wilsonville (great selection of cars for sale on display)

Cars and Coffee 8-10 AM Sat. at World of Speed, Wilsonville.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    This is typical. If you can get your name on the list, there is a great coffee shop less than two blocks west to kill some time.

Order the praline bacon. Don't think about it, just do it.

10. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    We timed it perfectly and got the last table for the first seating. The praline bacon was incredible.

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Crack bacon. It is truly crack bacon. Happy you got seated. Hope the rest of your day went well. If you need any further help don't hesitate to PM me (except about golf--I'm not a golfer).

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You should get out of your rental car at the gas station and just start pumping gas. Watch all the gas station attendants start freaking out. It's hilarious.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's all fun and games until it's pouring down rain... seriously, I hate having to pump my own gas.

14. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Trying Higgins tonight.

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Wife and I are transplanted Chicagoans and love it here.

If you are still in the area for the weekend, you should consider the 1.25 hour drive to Cannon Beach (Sunday is supposed to be almost 80, but I wouldn't make book on that actually happening). There are a zillion Google images of the place, as it is pretty famous. A few decent restaurants there; pretty good for a beach town.

We took a hike on the coast 2 weeks ago (Point Lookout at Cape Kiwanda) and the views were, as usual, spectacular.