348 for a 400i | FerrariChat

348 for a 400i

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Palermofazio, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    I was thinking of trading a 94 348 spider, for a 400i, any info?

2. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    SCousineau (Steve) has 400i and is probably the best person to ask. He's in Portland.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Stick or auto?

4. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
  5. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Not a good potential trade for me--I can actually sit in a 400i and get out.

While babysitting a friends 348 and I took it on a requested drive around the block to make sure all the parts worked. The car sounded great! The rumble of the V8 right behind me was awesome. The flat ride about the corners was impressive. The looks from passers by at the bright red 348 were mixed with smiles, waves, and thumbs up. I liked the car a bunch until getting home and realizing that the 348 had swallowed me. I was stuck in the seat. There was nothing to grab or push to extricate myself. It was a great car, but I did not want to be stuck in the seat forever. Fortunately a few minutes later my son walked by and had a good chuckle as he helped me out.

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interesting post for sure. Surprised you want to get rid of the 348 Chris.
    Any insight into the 400i you're looking at? Which one?

7. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I have owned both. Just recently sold my 400i, I still have my 348 spyder. It was love at 1st site when I purchased the 400i. We drove it often when we 1st got it, and it was one of the finest road cars I have ever owned. I drove it over Stephens pass and at times,speed upwards of 90 mph it was smooth, stable and steady.

Service and repairs were no problem. I guess we drove the 400 nearly 5000 miles and never spent a dime on repairs. Normal things such as oil changes tires were the only things.

Now for the potential bad news. The water pumps are an expensive repair when required, timing chains are an engine out service. I believe the water pump is the same.

Our car only had 50,000 plus miles and no signs of major repairs needed. Well built one of the last really hand built Ferrari's. The only reason I considered selling was at the time we had 3 Ferrari's and far to many other collector cars, and we simply did not get around to driving the 400 as often as we should have.

just sayin'

TR0768

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Yea but, the body lines of the 400/412 series are things of beauty.
    And it has 12 cylinders, I still lust for one.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What did you end up doing Chris?

10. Palermofazio

Palermofazio Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    burien
    Full Name:
    Cristoforo fazio
    I was gonna trade across, had a ppi on the 400i and it was a basket case honestly. So I decided not to go for it. It was out of state car.