Looking for Seattle intel | FerrariChat

Looking for Seattle intel

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by keelaboosa, Feb 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary in August with a 10-day vacation to PNW; 4 nights in Victoria, 3 nights on San Juan Island, and 2 nights in Seattle. We've got Victoria and San Juan lodgings booked, but not Seattle.

We’ve never visited Seattle and were looking for suggestions of where to book a hotel or condo. We’d like to check out the Seattle scene; we like cool historical places, nice little restaurants, interesting architecture, but not so much night clubs and bars.

I know that might be slim information, but was hoping it might spark a couple ideas.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Seattle has a relatively small downtown. Thus most is walkable, but if you need to go a little further then there is the monorail to Seattle Center (e.g. Space Needle, EMP Museum) or the trolley system (google 'Seattle Streetcar').

Really nice small hotel is the 'Inn at the Market'. Overlooks Pike Place Market and Elliott Bay (Puget Sound). Centrally located. Four Seasons is a couple blocks south, also with great views of the water.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I haven't stayed there in a few years, but in the past I've had good experiences at the Mayflower Park. It's relatively small, family owned, and close to everything. Inn at the Market is good as well.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The Alexis is a VERY nice hotel, the Arctic is nice too but not as opulent.
    Pike's Market is a must, even for us locals.
    Have drinks at Cutters for people watching or Elliott's for the view of the sound
    If the weather is clear, visit the Space Needle
    My favorite restaurants are Dahlia Loung and Barolo.
    Barolo is good Italian food, with a lively, hip crowd.
    Dahlia is quieter, the food phenomenal. Try the homemade donuts, they're incredible.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Is Wild Ginger restaurant still around? El Goucho still do d'Yquem by the glass?

Its been a while but remember staying at the Edgewater Hotel north of downtown on the water. Metropolitan Grill is a stalwart of the city steak place.

Over on the eastside in Bellvue was/is the Hyatt. Great hotel with Daniel's Broiler on the top floor of the interconnected building. Hope they still have the tempura fried lobster slipper tail appetizer. In Carillion Point in Kirkland is/was a great hotel - Woodmark.

If you are into wine go out to Woodinville. Wineries and garage wine places in the strip warehouses on the side of the road.

Jeff

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Fairmont Olympic is also a great old classic hotel, if you like that sort of thing.

8. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thank you everyone, lots to investigate here! I think this points us in the right direction.

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you want beef this is the place. $$$, but worth it.

10. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    If you want Iconic (think the Beatles) stay at the Edgewater

IF you want understated but beautiful with great views of the market Stay at "inn at the market"

If you want expensive and new, the Four Seasons

All the other hotels are nothing special

El Guacho is yesterdays steak house. The Butchers table is much better in ambience and food especially if you are bringing the mrs. Or if you want a really special dinner, get a window table at Canlis. Its really hard to beat and has great food!

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Yuk, this place is a dump and should be torn town unless you like that old mold smell..Somehow the Four Seasons were able to unload this place to the Fairmont Group when they build their new landmark hotel downtown.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    There is a thread down in the Aviation section regarding the various aerospace museums in the Seattle and Everett areas. If that sort of thing is in your wheelhouse.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Funny you say that. I've stayed at both (but not in a few years, so maybe things have changed?) and I'd take the Fairmont over that Four Seasons any day.

But, to each his own.

14. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are on vacation a view is kind of nice, and the views over the water are nice in Seattle especially in summer. Since I live here its not a big deal and what I like about ElGaucho is that there are no windows and it is so 'yesterday'. Classic versus chic wins for me.

15. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1 !

16. 993 911

993 911 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jack D
    Aqua by El Guacho is a great restaurant, situated on a pier with a view of the Space Needle to boot.

Museum of History and Industry is a must: MOHAI

Starbucks Reserve Roastery is cool for coffee fans. Howard Shultz meets Willy Wonka (no, you can't order a vanilla latte or chonga bagel there): Starbucks Reserve Roastery & Tasting Room ? Seattle, WA

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    On the topic of Starbucks, I usually stop by Starbucks #1 in Pike Place Market when I'm in Seattle. Not on the weekend, though, as it's too crowded.

18. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I like El Guacho, but I like the Met more. Just do, no reason.
    Don't fall for Salty's, the view is great, but the food sucks.
    for on the water dining I like Palisades; great view and food.

There is a ton to do; the tourist stuff is fun: Pike, Needle, waterfront.
    August there will probably be a Mariner's game- it's a great field.
    Also, lot's of great micro breweries in SoDo/ Georgetown.

19. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you have any clear weather during your visit book a quick flight around the area with James Young in his Cessna 172N. We did that on a sunny Friday recently and did some sightseeing up Puget Sound from Seattle/Boeing Field to Oak Harbor RT. He will fly as far in any direction, as you pay him for the air time you choose. He typically puts a 20 minute Seattle area special on GroupOn - that's 20 minutes in the air. That 20 minute flight would be a good way to see Seattle before you explore on the ground.

James is a great host and you will enjoy the flight. This time of year you meet him at the Boeing Business Jet/Clay Lacy FBO terminal. The floats go on in warmer weather when icing is not a concern.

About Seaplane Scenics | Seattle, WA | Kirkland, WA

20. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    If you want steak, in Seattle....
    Daniels Broiler
    El Goucho
    Mortons
    Metropolitan

Why not try Chandlers Crab house or Canlis?
    Everything I said is $200 (+/- 20%) with tip and 10% tax (about what 2 people with a glass of wine).

You can wear a polo, nice jeans and dress shoes in some but others, you may want to dress up a bit more.

---------------------

It sounds like you are flying. If driving or if you have a car, take a day trip to Mt Rainier. This will be an all day (leave at 6-9am, hang out at Paradise and hike a bit on leisurely trails, take some pics, then leave after maybe 2-3 hours and be back to Seattle in the afternoon). Or take a chartered flight from Kenmore air or from what other people suggested.

Pikes place market and the piers are a good idea too.

21. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I disagree, it's a lovely hotel with tons of history (the building was the original "University of Washington"). Service is of the highest possible quality. Food was terrific when Chef Gavin was running the show, remains to be seen what the new chef will bring. If you smelled mold when visiting there, all I can say is check your clothes, coz it ain't from the hotel...

22. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That's 100% correct, sir!