Portland next week, what to do? | FerrariChat

Portland next week, what to do?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TestShoot, May 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I am visiting my parents in McMinnville (they just moved there) and I will need a sanity check. Where can I get a good whisky, or something without the parents?

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I'm not a local and I've never been to this place but McMenamins other places I've been to have been fun with good food and drink. Can't imagine this one would be any less.

https://www.mcmenamins.com/hotel-oregon

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There are a bunch of nice restaurants there. It tends to be more of a wine location than whiskey, although there probably are some distillers down there as well.

Hotel Oregon is a fun choice, and might be your thing. As hotels go, it's a bit quirky (but I like it). For a bar, it's fun-- especially the rooftop bar. If you want a more elegant experience, drive up to Newberg and visit the Allison Inn.

If you have a spare afternoon, stop in and visit the aviation museum. It has the Spruce Goose, among other things, and while it's not quite what it was, it's still very impressive.

McMinnville is a great place, and the wine tasting opportunities there are incredible.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #4 Enzojr, May 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you get desperate you can hit Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo, the local Ferrari dealership ;) A bit east in Wilsonville.
    Evergreen Aviation museum, besides the Spruce Goose has a SR-71. I had to touch the silver cone protruding from the center of the engine ....... it is a sharp point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Oregonian

Oregonian Rookie

Jul 29, 2006
    The Oak - located on NE Davis St.

For dinner - La Rambla, Nick's and The Barberry. The newest/most reliable is The Barberry.

Everything is downtown - the walkability is a major draw.

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Spruce Goose was something I did in school when it was down here, but that hangar alone is sexy as hell.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I am hitting McMinnville Wed.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Crazier yet, that hangar has an identical twin about 100 yards away.

8. Oregonian

Oregonian Rookie

Jul 29, 2006
    And an almost identical smaller cousin several hundred yards across HWY 18. Evergreen built the baby-version for $25M just before going insolvent. You can pick it up for $8M today. Lots of office space and room for the jets and helicopters. Wine industry has already purchased all the other buildings on the airport side.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They built the second building (the twin of the one the spruce goose is in) to hold a space shuttle. Yep, Del thought there was a reasonable chance he could get one, and he knew that the only way that could happen was to build the building first. So he did.

I think it still has a Titan missile in it, complete with control room simulating the launch sequence.

Sad how the Evergreen story ended, really.