Eclipse? | FerrariChat

Eclipse?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Ak Jim, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok, asking you guys in Oregon/Washington about viewing the eclipse. We have a motel reservation in Redmond OR for the 19-21 to come on down and see the eclipse. The problem is I'm hearing horror stories about the 1 to 2 million people traveling to the area and shortages of gas and food. Also predictions of traffic jams lasting over 12 hours. Is this stuff a possibility or are these predictions way over board? I believe parts of ID are already declaring the area to be a disaster area. I'd like to see it but don't think I want to deal with a huge charlie foxtrot in doing so.

2. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    Add a day to your stay and you'll have a great time. I'll even give you some road numbers to "collect" in the vicinity...I think it's the Y2K syndrome redo.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm trying to stay as far away as possible. I saw the last one (1979?), so I'll take 99% on this one and be happy. Assuming it's not cloudy.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Are you flying into town or driving down ;)
    If driving from the airport, PDX, you may want to travel east to The Dalles and head south to Redmond.
    At this point getting a rental car might be an issue.
    Getting here a day early and staying a day late might be the ticket.
    By Monday morning I am thinking I-5 south from Seattle will be a mess.

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You are correct about parts of Idaho. At least one county (Payette) has already declared a disaster due to the expected influx or people.

One thing to also be aware of, is there are a number of fires in Oregon and Idaho that are causing a lot of smoke in the area and blocking visibility. I am planning on going to the family cabin up in the Idaho mountains, but due to the fires the sky is far from clear.

You should really check a couple days ahead of time before making the trek. It would suck to go through all that and have poor visibility when you get there.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Projects.oregonlive.com
    Current wildfire map, updated every 30 minutes.

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Portland can't handle the traffic it currently has. Increase it by 4x and it will be gridlock on a 24 hour scale. My advice, get were you want, bring plenty of supplies, and wait it out.

8. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    That's my advice too

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    We would fly in to SEATAC and drive down on the 19th (I have a car I keep at the airport). We would see the eclipse on the 21st and the head back to Seattle on the 21st. I need to be to work on the afternoon of the 22nd.

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    You probably have two options heading south.
    I-5 south, and hwy 90/82 heading SE out of Seattle.
    Then hwy 92 toward The Dalles, then hwy 197 south takes you into Redmond.
    I have this gut feeling that I-5 between Seattle and southern Oregon will be jammed the whole weekend with serious traffic issues.
    As mentioned above, Portland is in the top 10 nationwide for BAD traffic.
    Avoid Portland or pay a heavy price ;)

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with Tomy. I would head east, maybe through Yakima, and then south to somewhere like John Day. I'm sure there are no hotel rooms to be found down in that area, and no campsites either.

I think the 19th won't be so bad, it will be the 21st which will be a problem.

12. Wannarace

Wannarace Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The best route to the Bend/Redmond area (assuming you don't fly into Redmond direct) from SeaTac airport will be to take I-405 North to I-90 East to I-82 through Yakima to Highway 97. I'd still expect a fair amount of traffic on 97, but will be way better than through Portland and I-84.

Just my $0.02

13. emissary

emissary Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I live in Bend. We're expecting this to be an absolute clusterfuk.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I live in Portland but will be traveling to Sisters (near Redmond) for the event. I'm leaving on Friday the 18th and planning on bad traffic then. Carrying (in my very off road capable Jeep) 10 gallons of extra fuel, 5 gallons of water, food, etc. 97, starting some time on Sunday, is predicted to be a parking lot. Lots of concern about places running out of fuel, food, etc. and then resupply trucks not being able to get to them. Redmond/Bend/Sisters area worried about power grid going down--so that could be cell services as well. I'm not going to try to get back to Portland until the following Saturday, though I expect things will be back to normal by then.

The issue is this a hurricane evacuation type of scenario or Y2K? No one really knows.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Eclipse-pocalypse!

I'm guessing (with low confidence) that it will be much less of a big deal than everyone is imagining. I think the smoke and the fears of major traffic are going to bring down the crowds. Doesn't mean the traffic won't be bad, just that it won't be apocalyptic.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So the smoke is bad in the John Day/Dayville area?

17. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The DEQ monitoring station in John Day list the pollution as moderate and the issue is particulates (as is usually the case for smoke). Oregon DEQ: AQI

You can also look at trip check.com and look at the road cams around John Day--those views appear to be hazy as well.

I seriously doubt there would be enough smoke to totally mess up the eclipse view (in fact, it might make the colors even better) but it may cause eye burning, breathing issues, etc. And keep in mind that shifts in the weather and/or new wildfires could make it worse (or even better).

18. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm beginning to think it is going to be location/situation specific. On Highway 22 between Detroit Lake and Santiam pass (one of the major routes to central Oregon and the path of totality) there were areas of road construction (which I hope they would suspend around the eclipse, but I haven't read that), fire traffic, and area of extremely heave smoke when I drove the route yesterday. That really screwed up relative light Thursday morning summer traffic--and more volume is only going to compound things.

Unless the new fire at Warm Springs gets knocked down smoke and fire traffic is going to impact Highway 26 (it is already), which will not only bottleneck that but shift volume north to I84, which will then overload other northern routes into central OR.

I think if you stay put, or arrive early/leave late it won't be much of a big deal. But for folks planning on doing something akin to a surgical strike I think it is gonna be pretty ugly.

19. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My BIL was going to make the trek to some po-dunk town in Oregon for the eclipse and after reading about all the gridlock that is expected, he
    was almost certain that he would bag the trip. After playing a round of golf with a couple guys who 'escaped' Woodenville, OR. for a couple of
    weeks who told him they want nothing to do with any of this, he decided not to go.

OK, it would be pretty cool to see total darkness for 6-7 minutes, see the stars during the day while the birds go to sleep, but this sounds like
    a gridlock disaster on a grand scale. Stores are expected to run out of food and gas stations expect to run out of gas!

20. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    My older son is driving to Bend from Portland Friday night.
    Going kayaking over the weekend with his younger brother.
    Betting his Sunday night drive from Bend back to PDX will be less of a chore, than the trip down there.

21. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you have time to kill, and are far from the urban centers, you could make it work. There is a lot of open space in central and eastern Oregon

22. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Data point from a friend in central Oregon. He had to go to four gas stations in Bend to find gas (the first three were out) and had not yet located an ATM with available cash (he had tried two). This is Wed Aug 16th am.

23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    KTVZ (the main Bend TV station) is talking about gas lines 10-30 minutes long, and places being out of gas. Clearly, gas is available, but it isn't a swing by and score some quick kind of deal. Other shortages popping up as well. Plan ahead.

24. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    My son got cold feet, waiting until next weekend to head down to Bend ;)

25. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Update from central Oregon. Bend on Friday was actually "slow", no lines for gas, taco place not very busy, traffic in town lighter. State highway between Sisters and Bend flowing well.