First car for nephew | FerrariChat

First car for nephew

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Thomas Magnum, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looking for a mid-late 2000s Japanese coupe, preferably Honda or Toyota for my 16 year old nephew. Civic, Accord, Celica, Yaris, etc. Budget $6-8000. Under 150K miles. No salvage or wrecks please. Currently searching ebay, autotrader, craigslist...any fchatters have this car and want to sell? Thanks.

Mark

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did you see that sweet Lexus SC400?

66K miles for $6K???

In Fchat Ads

3. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    ^^This^^

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry $8K....

Damn fine looking car.

My son had the LS430 sedan.....lasted eight days in Houston traffic, until destruction....it was that color, those wheels.
    He was SO upset...and had sore knees.

Some Saint Arnolds Pumpkinator exploded in the back seat too....gave it an odd smell, as it went off to the crusher....

Now, that engine is a hand built power monster...he will need some maturity.

5. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the link. Very nice Lexus but his mother (my sister) wants something newer. It's their money, not mine. Thanks anyway.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    There is a nice 2008 honda Fit with some good upgrades on the s2k GA Facebook page. I even think it is in Tennessee. Send me a PM if interested. I think the guy is asking $7,000 so it could probably get bought for around $6500. The s2k ga ad links to a CL ad here, http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4639749193.html

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I sent him links to several Honda Fits but he's not a fan. I've heard they're great little cars. Thanks for the info.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Those little Japanese coupes aren't very good in wrecks

What about a Porsche 944?

9. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hear you. Recommended a couple of BMW 3 series convertibles too, but his Mom shot them down. Too "sporty." She wants airbags/safety features and reliability. Neither he or his Dad (who isn't really into this whole search) are into cars or I would push something like a Fiat 124 Spider or Alfa on him. Something that also might be worth hanging on to. Teach him a little mechanics and let him have fun. He loves my 308 but more into video games and soccer...breaks my heart, but he's a good kid. They're just different today from what I can tell. Man, I sound old.

10. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Don't you have a lawn you'd like to tell someone to get off of?

:)

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Based on budget, 1st gen Mini Cooper? Lots of airbags, stick or auto, not a lot of hp, but still fun to drive. Reliable, features like AC, power everything, good stereo, optional sunroof. Cousin to small BMW's.

I put my kids in a JGC for the first 2 years before they graduated to smaller cars. Older ones were tough built trucks, like a Timex, could take a licking and keep on ticking ( I am old too!!!).Kept them plenty safe until they got enough seat time to become good drivers.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
  13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Subaru Impreza I bought last year has been a fabulous teenager car, rock solid and reliable, not enough power to get in trouble, cheap to insure. If you can find one, I highly recommend it.

My brother put my niece into a Jeep Cherokee for her first car, amazingly tough machine that survived a couple of hits and kept going. He actually used a block & tackle around a tree in his front yard to straighten it the second time! Was dirt cheap to keep on the road, still going in the hands of one of his neighbors.

14. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was thinking ZR-1. Help me out.

15. OttawaGeorge

OttawaGeorge Rookie

Aug 22, 2014
    Without knowing local pricing or insurance issues I'd pick the best Honda Accord coupe that fits in the budget. Big enough and with mid size car safety gear to placate his folks, it's the opposite of the fit (which are awesome cars -good suggestion up above), and most importantly it's available in a standard. They're flat out great cars, fun to drive and a good launching point for an enthusiast. If he doesn't like threaten him with a Camry.

And...for the love of God and country make sure his first car is a manual, teach him, pay for lessons if you have to. Then once he's competent you can let him drive the 308 and bring him over to the dark side.

I'd also think that an E46 325/8i would fit the bill for them (other than not being Japanese). Pretty reliable, good economy and easy to find sensible independents to service. An even stronger one way ticket to being a life long car geek....

16. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Jeeps crand c's are the best-that straight 6 will never die. I gave my nephew mine about 6 mos ago

17. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    My sons first car was/is a 67 Mustang. Easy to work on, cheap and fun. Someday he'll do a full resto on it.

Perry

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
  19. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The one cool thing about Japanese cars is he will have lots of room to play around and upgrade stuff. Plus they are really easy to work on and will give him some hands on too. Hopefully just for upgrades :)
    It depends on how much performance you really want him to have.
    WRX is a great car not so good on mileage. Civic's and Accords are good too. Accords maybe a little boring and geared for older crowds.
    Gone are the days of picking up a older mustang or something along those lines to restore.
    You might even be able to find some BMW 3 series in that price range.

That is amazing you still own your first car. And a GTO. Nice.
    Mine was a lonely ole 280ZX. I do wish i had that car still too.

20. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    He's definitely no "tuner." Neither is his Dad. While a boy's first car is a significant milestone to many of us, I don't think my sister and her husband feel the same. Their parameters were pretty tight. Solid, safe, reliable, economical, etc. I even recommended leasing a new model because they'd have about the same money in a car after two or three years without any headaches. I'll be the one they call to sell whatever they purchase when he's ready for something else, so I'm trying to avoid that headache too.

Regardless, I've given them plenty of options. It's in their hands. Thanks for the inputs.

21. key03

key03 Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Chicago
    I just bought a new 2015 Honda Fit EX-L with NAVI for my 17 year old daughter and it is an incredible car that gets over 40 mpg and is incredibly versatile. The car has a ton of safety features, including a right rear blind spot camera. I know he isn't fond of the Fit, but maybe leasing a new one may change his mind. They should at least look at it.
    You can pack a small army in the thing.
    Good Luck!

22. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi everyone, I'd love to chime in here....my beloved daily driver is a Hellrot red 1997 BMW E36 318i convertible. ******* bulletproof car, gets 31 mpg and will not break. I've put nearly 50,000 miles on it in 18 months and it just runs great and is seriously overbuilt. VERY solid. I also have a 944 but its a Turbo, super fast, reliable, good looks and I LOVE it.

23. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Everything is for sale, for the right price! Insurance might be a bit of a problem though. :D My Subaru costs $110/month for my 17 year old daughter, and it's just about the cheapest thing to insure we've found. Can't imagine what a 400hp Corvette would run, scares me to even think about it.

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Bought my son a car last year to take to college, my insurance agents only advice was 'buy a 4 door and no Mazda's'. I didn't even look at 2 doors.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have them talk to a Lexus mechanic about that, the engines are bulletproof.

The A/C is expensive to fix...true.

Insurance would perk up like on the ZR1, maybe.....