2003 Maserati Spyder #9926 blu nettuno/cuoio | FerrariChat

2003 Maserati Spyder #9926 blu nettuno/cuoio

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by intrepidcva11, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #1 intrepidcva11, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Spyder was a $100,000. car when new, is a rare color combination - nettuno blue/cuoio saddle leather and in truly excellent condition at 20,000 miles. It has a stunning body design by one of Italy's greatest designers, Giugaro, and an all-alloy 4-cam dry-sump V-8 engine designed by Ferrari and built in Ferrari's engine factory just as Ferrari builds its own engines, each blue-printed and assembled by a single Ferrari master engine builder. Maserati's CEO stated that his Company's most expensive supplier is Ferrari.

The Spyder's actual driving experience on the road is not all that far from that of my 575M Maranello: 0-62mph (100km/h) is 4.8 sec vs. the Maranello's 4.1 sec and top speed 176 mph (282 km/hr) vs. Maranello's 202 mph (325 km/hr). Steering turn-in and handling, especially in the 'sport' setting, are excellent.

The Spyder's MSRP of around $100,000. included its 'skyhook' sport suspension and the cambiocorsa (Maserati's version of F1) gearbox. It's a car that one can be proud to bring to any Ferrari Club meeting and of course Maserati Club events as well. Two years ago I was invited by Watkins Glen Int'l to bring this car to the Glen for display along with six Ferraris during the Rolex race weekend. Had the opportunity to run some parade laps with the Ferraris that showed just how excellently the car performs. That weekend also showed that this is a car that's real fun to take on a weekend trip. There's a reasonable trunk and you can drive 300 miles and arrive fresh.

Here's the url of Michael Schumacher driving the Spyder at the Fiorano track.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHW_CmDXUE&feature=player_embedded]Maserati.spyder.Schumacher.test.drive - YouTube[/ame]

Price: $34,500.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Seth,

Scratching my head a bit on the comparrison, but the car is beautiful and best of luck with the sale!

3. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    John, at 40% of the price when new it is certainly not a Maranello; what I meant to say is that the cars are analogous GT cars, quick, fast, excellent handling and comfortable. Did you watch the Schumacher youtube clip? And at the price I rather believe it is by a wide margin the best value in the market of performance cars.

4. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Great color combo!

5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Great car.

However, having bought a 2004 CC new, and a 575 owner, really quite different cars.

Anyway, the Maser is a great car and an awesome color combo.

Best of luck with the sale.

-dsd

6. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    I had an 04 CC spyder in Argento Blue with the very light tan interior... I forgot the color. I bought it new in 04. I put 10,000 miles on it in 5 years before trading it in. The leather was soft and the interior was nice. That being said... the driving experience was not really that good. There was so much cowl shake in the front end that it didn't handle that well.. I also had the Skyhook suspension. After a couple of years of owning it, I always found myself choosing my old boxster instead of the Maserati. I would only take out the Maserati because I felt I should take it out because it was a supposedly better and newer car. The car stickered at 105k and the best I could get on a trade-in in 2009 was 32,500. If you are just looking for a touring / cruising type vehicle that isn't that expensive and is relatively rare this car is fine. BUT, you really can't compare it to a modern Ferrari.

7. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nice looking car.. That's a great color combination and rare at that..these are great cars when properly cared for..good luck .. Someone will be very happy with this car.

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    you hit the mark comparing the two cars. I had the 02 spyder and my 550 on the track. spyder is soft and feels uncomfortable(145 thru banked corners) at speed. heavy front end and no warning at break point. the 550 is controllable, balanced and at speed a delight(165 thru sweeping corners) I still own both. Maserati is a nice road car. 550 is a dream road car

9. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #9 intrepidcva11, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Jeff and Mitch, your critiques are quite correct. The spyder is not a Ferrari. What I wrote is that 'on the road' the car is comparable precisely because one doesn't drive at 9/10ths of perhaps even 7/10ths on public roads. On track, of course the Maranello is built to go fast, not like a late mid-engine Ferrari, but fast nonetheless. At $34,5K one can't expect modern Ferrari characteristics. One can expect a fun car, Ferrari power and a very high level of exclusivity.

P.S. see Michael's test drive video clip; deliberately breaking away a Spyder several times and always very controllable

10. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    here are a couple more photos

11. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009