2003 Stohr Race Car | FerrariChat

2003 Stohr Race Car

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by chris marsh, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    #1 chris marsh, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Race car or very awesome track day car. Simple, reliable, powered by 1000cc Yamaha motorcycle engine.

I am retiring from racing due to some health issues.

For Sale 2003 Stohr race car, SCCA P2 class. This car is actually the model for this class and should be a front runner. The last I raced it was in DSR class. SCCA has broken up DSR class into newer and older type cars. I suppose the theory was Stohr re-designed the car about 2010 and guys with the older cars were no longer competitive so to get the guys out they re-designed the rule book.

I am asking $26,000. I have an extensive spares package including entire extra body, extra splitter and extra rear wing and mounts, spares package is not included in price but is negotiable. Trailer is also negotiable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Hi Chris,

Must be great fun and it is in any case a great value for money. Lets me seriously start finding out what the import to Europe might cost.

Would a guy being 1.89 m tall (somewhat over 6 ft.) and not exactly extremely slim (just at the upper edge of normal BMI) fit in without feeling as if sitting on the car instead of therein?

What are the detailed specifications? Shocks, brakes, steering wheel (Stack?) etc.? Any damage to chassis or body (structural or cosmetic)? How many hours on the engine?

Cheers, Bernhard

3. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I am 5'11, 235 pounds. The previous owner was a little taller and a little thinner. You can have his seat as well as mine.
    Carbon fibre cockpit, Momo steering wheel, paddle shifter (6 speed) an absolute wonderful race car for the money.
    It has Ohlins double adjustable shocks, I have dozens of various weight springs available. I has a Stack dash but only tracks the basic data, oil pressure, temps. I have a GPS data logger that you can have that tracks speed lap after lap.

4. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Super cool....May I ask what it costs per year (roughly) to race/run this bad boy?

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Not much $.

Just fuel, oil and tires it gets great gas mileage at WOT it gets about 20 miles to the gallon.

Entry fees had cost me about $1000-$1100 annually.

A set of tires would last me a whole year about $900.00 that gave me 7-8 weekends with 4 sessions per weekend so 28-30 10 lap sessions at Waterford Hills or Mid-Ohio.

Spare engines are available at motorcycle junk yards for about $1000. I changed the motor 3 times. All three times were stupid mistakes 1)I forgot to put the oil cap on. 2)I thought I had enough anti-freeze in it and I let it freeze 3)I blew up a motor over-celebrating a win! (My first over-all win in my life).

So, I would say it has cost me $3000-$5000 annually counting motors.

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    In order to get a quote for full service import I would need to provide some data to them.

I suppose that the best and safest option would be to have it shipped on the trailer, so that no funny guy must touch the car, but only the trailer. Is it a closed trailer or open? Can you give the approximate dimensions, total length, width and height?

The car is presumably located in Detroit?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Quaife diff I suppose? The last chain driven car I had a ride in was an about 100 years old American LaFrance, with an engine having the 14-fold capacity :D

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Can you remove the rear clip by yourself or is it a 2 person job?

8. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Chis. I've been looking into racing, and this seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Beautiful car!

9. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I can say from personal experience that this car is pretty easy to work on, including the aforementioned engine swaps ;-P

It's a beautiful car Chris, too bad you're no longer racing!

Brian

10. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    yes, can do by myself, but of course easier with 2.

You need at least 1 crew to drive this car. It is virtually impossible to buckle yourself in and car has no reverse gear.

11. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this was a serious race car in the day...and still is!

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'd love to buy it, I'm just not ready yet. I have a few more months before I pull the trigger and the 2 person team scares me a little.

Have you tried apexspeed or dsr forums?

14. Duncan.E

Duncan.E Rookie

Jan 11, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Duncan Ende
    Some years ago I had the pleasure of racing a West descended from this Stohr design and have to say these cars are absolutely a joy to drive. A monstrous amount of performance for the money as well.

GLWS!

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    A West is actually the same car. IIRC Design was sold, Lee Stohr went out of the racing business for a short time.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Chris: What does the car need to be race/track ready?

Crash damage/repair?

Any pics of the interior details? At 5'5" and 135 am I going to be swimming in this car? :)

I had a March/Cosworth 88C Indycar that was driven by Kevin Cogan, who was substantially taller than me and we spent a fair amount of time building the seat up so I could reach the pedals!

17. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Car should be ready, just did a motor swap, but haven't quite finished that, just need to put in the fluids and start it up.

I'll have to check the dates on the belts, to be sure but I think there are still valid..

You should be able to just make a new bead seat and that will take car of the fitment.

18. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I am not in the market but this is a really neat track car! It had me daydreaming for too long today :)

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    What an incredible deal to get into mini-Can Am racing!

21. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    What is mini Can-Am?

This is a real race car; one of the fastest classes in SCCA.

22. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    STOHR cars are amazing. Superb mechanics. I follow the F1000 guys here locally (SW). GLWS thsi is a very fair price.

23. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ..........Chris, how tall are you? :)

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Chris,

Are you running MIS with SCCA in 3 weeks?