Shelby GLHS | FerrariChat

Shelby GLHS

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by ForzaV12, Jul 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 ForzaV12, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm offering up a special piece of Shelby history. A Shelby GLHS. In 1986, when Carroll Shelby decided to create a high performance car that could outrun far more expensive makes, he returned to the playbook that he used way back in the 60s for the Shelby GT350. He started with a Dodge platform that was shipped to his Shelby Skunkworks in Whittier California(just like he did in Venice with the Mustang years earlier). He added adjustable Konis, special sway bars, quicker steering, a turbo charged and intercooled engine, a 5 speed manual transmission, leather momo shiftknob and steering wheel, special alloy wheels, performance alignment and Shelby graphics.
    As usual, Shelby wasn't afraid to ruffle feathers and began running ads showing the GLHS outrunning Ferraris, Porsches and BMWs at Willow Springs Raceway. The magazines responding to the cries from some that it wasn't a "real" Shelby, invited a race prepared Shelby GT350 to do battle with the GLHS at Willow-the GLHS was faster.
    The GLHS was one of the fastest cars available when introduced and remained a force to be reckoned with at road courses and autocrosses for decades after it was built. Only 500 were ever built and each featured a numbered dash plate with Shelby's signature.
    This particular Shelby GLHS is well known in the Shelby Dodge and Shelby Ford communities. It has received special recognition from Mr. Shelby himself. It was invited to attend his Terlingua Reunion in 2008 and was transported to the event in the Shelby American 18 wheeler in the company of real Cobras, a GT40 and Shelby Mustangs. Quite a surprise when it was off loaded at the event. During the event, it continued to show that Shelby's original vision was ahead of it's time as it ran strongly amongst the latest cool offerings from Shelby American. It ran the Bull Run and Mr. Shelby himself commented about how well it ran and sat in the car to sign the dashboard-"Enjoy! Carroll Shelby" Probably the largest Shelby signature I've ever seen in a car! He said, with a smile as he sat in the car, "Were you the one giving all those Fords hell?"
    This GLHS has also been honored to have been one of only two GLHS cars to run the track events at the SAAC national convention at the California Super Speedway. Again, it acquitted itself very well.
    A regular at many Shelby events and car shows, this GLHS never fails to draw questions and admiration for its performance. I've owned and continue to own examples of the fine Shelby Ford products and this car is just as much fun at a fraction of the expense.
    This GLHS has a number of interesting additions. It has a completely competition built engine that features forged rods, custom forged pistons, forged crank, big valve head that is ported, thermal coatings,etc. The turbo is Super 60 spec and the injectors are larger. This engine was built to handle big boost numbers and with the addition of an even bigger turbo and exhaust, another 100HP would be possible. I didn't want to lose it's street and smog legal manners so while its faster than stock, it is still quiet, passes emissions and runs very reliably. The transmission was also fully rebuilt(moly plate, special gears, shift rods,etc)by the West coast Shelby Dodge guru-Pat Pedroza and a new hi-po clutch assembly fitted. It is running LRE springs and fresh Konis. 16' light alloys are on the car with Z-rated tires.
    In order to better handle the track events, a set of factory SRT "Viper" seats are mounted and a Competition steering wheel. A new catalytic convertor is in place.
    Street comfort wasn't neglected either. A modern stereo(Bluetooth, Ipod plug,amp) was installed with nice door speakers and amp. The factory AC system was upgraded and works very well. A Turbos Unlimited custom alloy radiator and a NASCAR fan have been installed to ensure cool running regardless of weather or traffic. I even installed a set of modern Maserati horns-they sound great! Driven gently, you can achieve close to 30 MPG with the AC on!
    Of course, I saved all of the original parts-engine, seats,radio,etc and they will be included. Also included are the original,one year only, 86 Shelby GLHS alloy wheels with autocross rubber.
    This really is a special GLHS. Its been everywhere, runs very well on track or street and has an unmatched history. Carroll always said that the Shelby GLHS was his favorite of all the cars he built and he drove and retained the number 1 GLHS until the day he passed. This car is still in the Shelby American museum.
    The body on the this Shelby is in great condition with no rust or damage. There are a variety of chip and minor scratches from the events it has run. Some of the decals are showing wear too. I will include a complete set of GLHS decals and graphics that can be used should the next owner decide to paint the car. I also have a SRT rear seat and second GLHS rear seat so that the upholstery can be matched to the front seats-also included. I have all the manuals, brochures, Knoi shock adjuster knobs,etc that will be included.
    Many of these little Shelbys have been destroyed over the years and I would guess that less than half of the original 500 remain. This car was certified by Shelby American and the Certificate of Authenticity is included.
    This is a great opportunity to join the Shelby community at a reasonable price. Enter the events and be prepared to answer tons of questions. There is also a strong Shelby Dodge community with very helpful owners, enthusiasts and vendors. Prices on nice,original GLHS's have hit the 20K mark in some cases. This one could easily be returned to stock if desired.
    This little Shelby is a hoot and always gets attention at the socal Cars and Coffee meets.
    Understand-it's a torque steering, rorty little pocket rocket, but no greater automotive fun can be had at a throw away price.
    I had no intention to ever sell it, but I'm reducing my storage facilities(and collection) and will be selling a number of interesting cars over the next few weeks(L-88 powered Garner tribute 69 Corvette, 69 CHP Pursuit Polara, 69 Fury vert, Mitchell/Donohue Camaro,etc).

This GLHS is currently registered and insured in California. 11,500. with all the extras(parts, manuals, brochures,warranty cards, magazine articles,swag,etc)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    THAT is cool! G.L.W.S.

3. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Cool! A GLHS was my first car out of college. Bad build quality but an absolute blast to drive.

You must've had to re-shoot that front bumper. Mine was so pockmarked by the time I sold the car (with ~75k miles) that it looked like it had been sandblasted.

GLWS!

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    DAMMIT I WANT THIS!!! I am unfortunately not in the market for another car, but I have always wanted a GLHS!!!

What are the lion graphics on the car now? Those weren't original, just curious.

GLWS, I'm sad I'll miss the opp to own a car like this.

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Do want!
    I've been wanting to get into something like this for quite some time... I'll regret not being the lucky next owner, GLWS on GLH-S!

6. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow...Lots of fond memories in HS driving shot gun in these...good times...GLWS!

Thanks for the flashback...

7. key03

key03 Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Chicago
    Ha!, I had an '86 GLH with those crazy swiss cheese wheels. It was my wife's daily driver for 4 years or so. That thing was a lot of fun and the torque steer was horrible. I cannot even imagine what the torque steer on this thing is like.

Cool Car!

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    great cars

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The "lion" is actually the Terlingua Rabbit. Penned by Shelby's artist and friend, Bill Neale, it became the Terlingua ranch and race team mascot. It was applied to the GLHS for the Terlingua event(its just a static decal and can be removed).

10. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I had one of these in college. A total blast to drive.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i learned to drive stick on a blue GLH...... these thing have to be collectible..can't imagine many left

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Any chili stains?

:)

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    GLWS looking forward to seeing the other cars.

14. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just a few ;)

15. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Nice! 'No more peppers in the chili please'

16. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As legend has it-the bunny's up-raised paw is signaling just that!

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
  18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Your car brings up good memory for me. In 1985 I was working as mechanic and salesman for the local Chrysler dealer. I had a light blue base Omni with the 1.4L peugeot engine with 4 speed overdrive. Fuel economy was excellent at around 65mpg (imperial) but 60mph pedal to the metal.

We had a Shelby Charger in stock that we traded with another dealer 600 miles away who had a customer for the car. I was the lucky guy who delivered it.

This is defenitely a rare and collectable car for the right person.

GLWS

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    There was a good article in R&T probably 5 yrs ago that talked about Shelby, this rabbit 'Lucifer' and the chili cookoff in Terlingua and of course the Mustang history. I'm going to enter that chili competition some day. Although most (all whopping 3 of them) of my chili cookoff wins are in MA I think I have a shot in TX...but I may be over confident

This would be a great car for anybody who has the room. I've wondered what these potentially go for. There was only one Carroll Shelby...so they won't be this little $$s for long.

20. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Oh I want this car!!!

21. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #22 ForzaV12, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have thought these were WAY undervalued for years. Nice examples have recently started to show steady movement upwards in price. This car,while not stock, has an unmatched history(and probably a few thousand worth in Shelby sigs!). It could easily be returned to stock(I wouldn't as it's more fun this way and still appears mostly stock).
    I've owned a dozen of these cars(including purchased new!) and have enjoyed some of my most enjoyable automotive experiences in them-my friends are always surprised by this as I've owned some pretty wild cars over the years. These cars are every bit a "true" Shelby-probably more so than many as they were built at a Shelby plant and very limited in numbers. You either "get them" or not. This example is really offered up at the cliche "give away" price.

I can make that happen ;)

Here's a pic of another of my GLHS's that shared some pretty exotic company in my humble driveway. I sold this massively modded example to a doctor friend who promptly painted it black again and is still enjoying a massive sleeper that has run down some very expensive exotics on track.

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Humble driveway my aching behind. ;) That's an amazing group of cars!!