1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S "Silver Rose" | FerrariChat

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S "Silver Rose"

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by gbutler, Dec 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    #1 gbutler, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    SN WPOAA2957JN151398 is one of 339 US spec “Silver Rose” cars, which were the first 944 Turbo S cars imported by Porsche in 1988. All of these cars had the LM3Z paint code and a special burgundy with pink plaid cloth interior. Option code 758 also indicated the Turbo S option package. These cars were the street version of the 944 Turbo Cup race car and included a more powerful engine (M44/52 with 247 bhp), sport suspension with adjustable KONI shocks and larger 928 S4 brakes, and the “AOR” transmission which includes a limited slip differential and a transmission oil cooler.
    This is an incredibly original car with ZERO modifications and known history since new. With exception of the missing original window sticker, the car is as delivered new and includes all of the following items;
    • Two “pewter crest” keys, one valet key, and three wheel lug nut keys
    • Spare tire, jack, and tire compressor
    • Original tool kit with plastic gloves
    • White KONI adjustable shock wrench
    • Sunroof storage bag
    • All original books and pouch; including all radio manuals (with codes & SN’s), the original warranty booklet indicating delivery date, first owner, option codes, and dealer service stamps, and the original owners manual with the Turbo S supplement
    The car has a clean CARFAX with all VIN tags present on all appropriate panels. The only evidence of paint work is on the front nose, where three small dents on the panel between the headlight covers were repaired. I have pictures and receipts from this work done back in 1993. There is no evidence of rustanywhere on the car, but there are some scratches on the hood and roof that are noticeable under the right lighting conditions. These scratches are not deep and appear to be something that could occur when running the car through an automatic car wash.
    A notebook full of receipts going back to 1991 provides a maintenance history and supporting evidence of the mileage as well as indicating that I am the fourth owner. Most recently, the following repair / maintenance items have been completed;
    • 10/15/16 58,616 miles Four new Toyo Proxes tires
    • 10/02/16 58,612 miles New OEM exhaust
    • 10/01/16 58,600 miles New brake rotors, pads, & sensors on all 4 corners
    • 06/08/12 50,875 miles New timing & balance shaft belts, distributor cap, rotor & plugs
    As a 25 year plus PCA member with over 250k miles driven in 944’s, I am very familiar with the maintenance needs and problem areas with these cars. I would feel confident driving this car across the country tomorrow. There is no clutch slippage or “shuddering” when taking off, no roughness upon startup which would indicate potential motor mount issues, or uneven “hunting” at idle. There are no cracks in the dash, no curbed wheels, no broken cassette holder or glovebox door hinges, and no stripped sunroof gears. The original plaid cloth interior is perfect with the exception of a two inch tear on the driver’s seat bolster. Should someone wish to repair this, new material is still available from 924werks in Germany. A couple of months ago I sold my 1989 944 Turbo with 38k miles and this car is in better condition!

Additional pictures can be seen at 1988 944 Turbo S - Album on Imgur

Should anyone have further questions, feel free to give me a call at 704-962-9683
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ag997s

ag997s Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 19, 2007
    love these!!

how much?

3. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Oops! Forgot a critical detail. I am asking 34.9k obo. I am also open to considering any interesting Ferrari trades, plus or minus cash

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Hands down best seats ever.

5. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Do you have any pic of the rip on the bolster? I maybe interested.

6. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Go to the link he posted for the album. All the pics you want, including bolster tear, are there. You can also go to the Web site for the German co, 924werks, that sells the repro cloth so that the seat can reupholstered.

To the seller . . . very nice car. Just outside my price point. Glws!

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    more pics of that garage

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    OHHH man this is one of my all time favorite cars!! If anyone has never driven or lived with one, they are superb driving cars. Excellent handling and they are FAST!

9. mid-fun

mid-fun Rookie

Oct 6, 2016
    Metro D.C.
    Just gorgeous - can't get enough of that German plaid (from a lover of front engine Porsches).

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interior is called "studio check" and it is fantastic. Great car. Good luck with sale.

11. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Just "WOW" on that interior. Amazing! GLWS.

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I can tell you all that Glenn is a first class guy and a nice fellow. I have a 1986 944 Turbo in my collection and they are just killer cars to drive.

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Wow, absolutely lovely car! GLWS!

Ruben

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Killer seats!

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These are great, I recall my favorite uncle buying a pair for he and his (then ) wife.

His was the Turbo.

GLWS!

That's a really cool example.....

16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    #16 gbutler, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What a cool collection! GLWS!

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    They are very cool!! What a nice car.

19. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I used to own a white/tan '88 turbo s. They were fantastic cars and are finally being appreciated. Good luck with your sale!

Scott

20. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Amazing!!
    I tried to bid on several "S" cars recently listed online and lost out on each one, out of frustration I just bought a nice '87 with a few wants and needs (don't they all require this..laughing).

This Rose is about as exceptional as they come. Good luck with the sale. Love the BB too! One of my all time fav. prancing horses.

21. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Gorgeous car! The 944 was the Porsche of my dreams as a kid. If I had a 5th garage bay, id put this in it. GLWS!

22. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    I love your Turbo S!!!! PM sent.

23. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Funny you should post asking someone to tell me what the market is --- then you go ahead and state that you don't know and doubt it has doubled! You should back up your statements with evidence. I can! Car sold about a month ago and I can state you are wrong about the market not doubling! FYI, I also sold a 1989 944 Turbo with 38k miles about 6 months before this car sold -- and it sold for north of 30 as well.

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are great period performance and value for the money.

25. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    These are great cars, superbly balanced. I don't know of any car ever that offered a better balance of handling, looks, build quality, fuel economy, and performance. Good to see them getting the respect they reserve, but I wouldn't mind a little less respect while I look for one to replace the 1986 951 i bought new back in the day!