Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Classifieds - Individuals Only > Other Cars

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
1968 Fiat 850 Spider

I just acquired this car less than a year ago, but have decided to sell it. I have quickly more than $10k into things. My ask is $7,500. With the original steel wheels/hubcaps and $9k with the additional Melber/Vredeststein tire/wheelset. It's all ready to go and be enjoyed. Underrated and under appreciated fun cars and therefore CHEAP$$ cars!

It did poorly on BAT, although the high bidder did go higher privately, it still was a disappointing number. Perhaps someone here would enjoy?

This link to the BAT auction gives lots of info., comments, and photos. Thanks.

1968 Fiat 850 Spider | Bring a Trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0317.jpg (61.1 KB, 1266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0339.jpg (75.2 KB, 1268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (94.2 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0376.jpg (43.0 KB, 1272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.jpg (69.3 KB, 1271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (63.0 KB, 1269 views)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Price adjusted down to $6,900...with extra wheelset $8,400. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM
ronfrohock's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Full Name: Ron F
Posts: 1,985
My Garage
Contact Danny ODonnel at Fun Imports Autos and Toys in CT. He may be interested.
__________________
When I try to think, nothing happens...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfrohock View Post
Contact Danny ODonnel at Fun Imports Autos and Toys in CT. He may be interested.
Mahalos Ron, reached out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cumming, GA
Full Name: Andy
Posts: 1,718
I have a 1968 Fiat 500, hard to believe this car is from the same decade never mind the same year. This is like a Cadillac with regards to features and amenities compared to mine. Good luck with the sale.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy308 View Post
I have a 1968 Fiat 500, hard to believe this car is from the same decade never mind the same year. This is like a Cadillac with regards to features and amenities compared to mine. Good luck with the sale.
Thanks Andy.

Just ripped around Tahoe now. Butter smooth and straight. If this doesn't sell extremely quickly, I'm just as happy to stay the course with this car keep it and improve it. I take delivery of my 3rd 850 Spider later today, offering this car to free up space and zero interest. I think folks are really missing out on cheap vintage sports car fun with these. Photos just now.

FYI I have a '67 front clip and 2 sets of covered/sealed Carello headlights, and a set of Borrani wire wheels...you can see where this could go with a slippery slope restoration. I do have a 'vision' for this car when quality repaint occurs...but it is quite beautiful right now as is too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (118.6 KB, 845 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (101.2 KB, 844 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:37 PM
JG333SP's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N Shore, MA
Full Name: Jim G
Posts: 1,708
I had 3 of these in the late 80s in high school, a buddy of mine had one also. There was a racing engine avail from abarth that was maybe only 115 hp but the car would beat a corvette to 60, and it felt even faster than it was. Between the fun factor and how easy to mod these are there are not many left-I used to take the engine/trans out on a skateboard. My buddy drove his thru the side of his parents garage-the garage won that one

This one is in great shape-even the steering wheel is orig. Buy it and watch out for your parents garage
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG333SP View Post
I had 3 of these in the late 80s in high school, a buddy of mine had one also. There was a racing engine avail from abarth that was maybe only 115 hp but the car would beat a corvette to 60, and it felt even faster than it was. Between the fun factor and how easy to mod these are there are not many left-I used to take the engine/trans out on a skateboard. My buddy drove his thru the side of his parents garage-the garage won that one

This one is in great shape-even the steering wheel is orig. Buy it and watch out for your parents garage
Thanks Jim, good story!

I would be ok with trading this and perhaps another one or two of my other cool Italian cars or Willys Jeeps for something else? 2 or 3 for one will solve everything. Try me with something interesting...or perhaps a cool motorcycle? My issue is space and storage.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 AM
ronfrohock's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Full Name: Ron F
Posts: 1,985
My Garage
Just keep it. It's a rare and wonderful car in great condition. It doesn't represent much money and I'd predict that you would be sad that you sold it down the road......
I have a Fiat Spider. Had it for the past 25 years and I love it. Blast to drive, not valuable, although they are creeping up, and cheep and easy to repair. I drive the wheels off of it as opposed to my Ferrari that almost never goes out.
If I had the room, I'd buy yours.
__________________
When I try to think, nothing happens...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:06 AM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfrohock View Post
Just keep it. It's a rare and wonderful car in great condition. It doesn't represent much money and I'd predict that you would be sad that you sold it down the road......
I have a Fiat Spider. Had it for the past 25 years and I love it. Blast to drive, not valuable, although they are creeping up, and cheep and easy to repair. I drive the wheels off of it as opposed to my Ferrari that almost never goes out.
If I had the room, I'd buy yours.
Thanks Ron...I have THREE of these! I agree on all counts, that's what I'm trying to share, they are a hoot to drive and use. I've had some low offers. I've only owned it for months and can't see LOSING a bunch of money on it either, especially since it is a really nice find in a sea of crap 850 spiders. It is purely a storage/space issue...why I'm open to a motorcycle trade?
I know the new buyer will enjoy it. I would prefer to sell it with the original wheels/hubcaps. I have stupid money into the Melber/Vredestein wheelset and can use them on my other Fiats, so - $6,900. for a great example! 1968's are pretty rare and have some nice styling advantages over later models.

Edit; photo with 'steelies' and excellent condition hubcaps...new tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0914.jpg (72.4 KB, 595 views)

Last edited by Mang; 07-25-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2017, 10:38 AM
2NA's Avatar
2NA 2NA is offline
F1 World Champ
Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Full Name: Tim Keseluk
Posts: 17,429
My Garage
Not many of those left. Quite a few have been cannibalized for Miura restorations.
__________________
"The first rule of the game is to stay in the game"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 68,294
I owned one of these for three weeks, but sadly the Gulf Coast rust had too much of a head start!!

A missing gas cap fills the tank up with rainwater!

That's a real survivor there!
GLWS!

Wonderful color....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 68,294
The three cylinder is a little low on power, compared to my Spider 2000s....great engine though..

Park it next to a Smart car and see which is prettier!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:57 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 68,294
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NA View Post
Not many of those left. Quite a few have been cannibalized for Miura restorations.
??????

What parts?

Dash vents and such??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM
2NA's Avatar
2NA 2NA is offline
F1 World Champ
Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Twin Cities
Full Name: Tim Keseluk
Posts: 17,429
My Garage
Door latches, headlights and other small gizmos.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
__________________
"The first rule of the game is to stay in the game"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Night life's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Full Name: Roberto Giannini
Posts: 6,091
My Garage
WOW!!!! I had 2 of those, a running model (red) and a parts car (white), it was my first real Italian car


I remember I drove it one season a bit to long as it was snowing out, I lost control at an intersection and drove the car up on a drift I got out, lifted the front end up and move the car .

It was a fun little car, the WaWa Shriners bought it off of me to use in their parades .

.
__________________
Night Life, ain't a good Life, but it's my Life....(Willie Nelson)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night life View Post
WOW!!!! I had 2 of those, a running model (red) and a parts car (white), it was my first real Italian car


I remember I drove it one season a bit to long as it was snowing out, I lost control at an intersection and drove the car up on a drift I got out, lifted the front end up and move the car .

It was a fun little car, the WaWa Shriners bought it off of me to use in their parades .

.
I know we must have some real Shriners here?

These poor beautiful Giugiaro designed cars just deserve better. How can I be the only car enthusiast in the entire world that find these irresistible??

Edit; the price is about the same as a tune-up on most of the cars in this forum.

Last edited by Mang; 07-25-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Qld
Full Name: simon klein
Posts: 10,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
The three cylinder is a little low on power, compared to my Spider 2000s....great engine though..

Park it next to a Smart car and see which is prettier!!!
3 cylinders????????????????????????

Both the 850's I had were 4.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM
EarlyCat's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Full Name: Joey
Posts: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon klein View Post
3 cylinders????????????????????????

Both the 850's I had were 4.
All 850's are 4 cylinders. BigTex's was probably running on three.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
"Out of the 50 originals, only 75 survive!"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Mang's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tahoe
Full Name: Mike S.
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyCat View Post
All 850's are 4 cylinders. BigTex's was probably running on three.
That's the legend of Big Tex, most men run 4 cylinder Fiats, but being from Texas he only requires 3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.