Fiat 124 Vignale | FerrariChat

Fiat 124 Vignale

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Harry-SZ, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#1 Harry-SZ, Mar 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Very nice, a gorgeous car! It looks to be in beautiful condition. What year was it made?

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #3 Miltonian, Mar 19, 2008
    Now that's an unusual car! I have this picture from Quattroruote's report on the 1966 Turin Auto Show.

It was apparently also called the Fiat "Eveline". I haven't been able to find anything which states how many were made.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Thanks!!
    It was built in 1971. Condition is very good. Paint is not perfect, but the car has no rust and looks very nice.
    One of the front seats is not very nice anymore, so I will get both front seats renewed in the future.

I can find very little information on these cars.
    In a British car magazine (Thoroughbred & classic cars) I read that there where maybe 200 of these made, but I do not know where that information came from.

I can find pictures of about 5 of these cars, including mine, so there aren't many left or they built less than 200.
    There is one for sale on Anamera right now, but that one needs a full restoration and is a normal 1200 (not S(pecial) version).
    My car was based on a Fiat 124 S(pecial) and had a 1400 engine.
    That engine was broken and unrepairable. My car has now a 1600 engine of the same type.

Another interesting thing is a sticker on the front-window.
    It says "Ted Lapidus Janvier 74"
    http://www.gummen.org/tmp/124Vignale/124Vignale045.jpg

Ted Lapidus is haute couture fashion man and the brand still exists today.
    I wonder why that sticker is there. Maybe the car was his once?

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations Harry, very unusual car. Before this thread I'd never heard of the Vignale 124.
    Any interior pictures?
    Thanks for posting.

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  7. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Wow Dan!! That is one great Moretti!! I have never seen one of those.
    It looks a little like a small 250 GT Lusso!

2 years ago I was driving through Italy and I saw some guys starting a very nice Moretti (the battery was down, so they used cables).
    It was a Moretti 850 sportcoupé if I remember correct. (looks like a small Ferrari 246 Dino)
    I will have to look up the pictures I made to make sure which one it was.
    Great cars, bu you never find one for sale.

But I am just as happy with my Vignale 124!! :)

8. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#9 Harry-SZ, Mar 21, 2008
    @Dan : it is a little off topic, but they are all Fiat-based specials.
    Here the Moretti 850 that I have seen in Italy.
    I drove past the scene in my white Alfa 147 and made a U-turn to take a look!

Very nice people who let me look at everything and take pictures and they even tried to explain something about the car in Italian/English.
    Here are my pictures!!

9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    A really cool little car! It definitely shows the Dino influence. They also did a 124 version that had similar lines. A guy here on FChat has one (pretty much a basket case) and was talking about restoring it. There are photos here somewhere. A year or so ago, there was a Moretti Fiat 500 for sale on Ebay. It has similar lines to our car, but of course is tiny. I think it sold for 8 or 9 thousand US$.

I'm seriously considering spending some $$ on my car. New paint and leather interior. Probably not really worth it in practical terms, but it's in excellent mechanical condition (though I think it needs a new carburetor) and I would love to take it to this year's Hilton Head (South Carolina) Concours D'Elegance. The car has been in our family for 43 years so has a lot of sentimental value.

10. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Hello Dan,

I was following this Moretti 600 in Italy for sale, but it needs some work.
    But a very cool car!!

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190201270892&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Did that Moretti 500 look the same?

Your Moretti is definitely worth spending some money on it! It is a very very rare car and it will be worth more money in the future.
    But the sentimental value for you is much much greater of course!
    I will also do the interior of my Vignale in the future and maybe also a respray once.

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    No, this one is an older style. When my father ordered his car at Geneva in '65, he picked up a catalog (unfortunately long gone) that had all their previous generation (1964, I suppose) cars (ours was not included, being too new at the time). I remember that this was one of them. There was an amazing variety of models for such a small company, everything from the smallest Fiats up to the big 2800s. The 500 that was on Ebay looked just like a miniature version of our 1500 coupe.

Thanks for your thumbs up on my restoration plans! When my dad bought the car, it was actually a really nice metallic dark green. Unfortunately, the paint was not of good quality and did not stand up to the sun. (We moved to the tropics shortly after the car was purchased.) That was when my dad had it resprayed red. I'm seriously thinking of going back to something close to the original color with new tan leather interior.

12. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

It looks very nice in red, but that original green color would be great!!
    They had such great colors in those years.

13. shalrat

shalrat Rookie

Jun 1, 2008
    Harry, Restoring A Vignale 124 eveline, So need more Picture of itEg. Interior ( Dashboard,Seats front & rear, floorboard), Body ( Rear & front), inside the boot, Engine room, Can yo help me on posting them... will put some pictures of mine too...

14. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#17 Harry-SZ, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
    Hello Shalrat.
    You can email your pictures to me : [email protected]
    I can put them in this thread for others to see.

I can send you all kinds of pictures of my Vignale, but you should know that my car is different from all the other 124 Vignales.
    Mine is the only known 124 "Special" Vignale (based on Fiat 124 Special) and had a bigger engine (1432cc, but now a 1600cc Fiat 131 engine), other dashboard (!) and some other differences like the Special export logo's on the car and dashboard.
    I presume your car is a 'normal' (based on standard Fiat 124) 124 Vignale so with the 1200cc engine?

The seats, boot and body etc will be the same.

15. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

@Shalrat : here are a lot of pictures of my 124 S Vignale :
    http://www.gummen.org/tmp/124Vignale/Vignale.html (it will take some time to load, there are many pictures!)

It shows some before pictures, restauration and after pictures.
    Like I said the dash is different form your car. The switches (windows, lights ertc) are from Maserati.
    They were used in Ghibli, Sebring, Mexico, Indy.

Please let me know if you extra pictures.

16. shalrat

shalrat Rookie

Jun 1, 2008
    Hey thanks, I'll post the pix soon, as I'm away from lanka. It s the normal 124 vignale...

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Nice car, thanks for the pics!

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Beautiful car.

Pete

19. el_bibiq

el_bibiq Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    hi there!

can you give me a hand in finding parts for it? thanks! ;)

20. shalrat

shalrat Rookie

Jun 1, 2008
  21. shalrat

shalrat Rookie

Jun 1, 2008
    hi harry,
    can you send me you contact details to +94771419584 . need some pictures of the vignale
    cheers
    manjula

QUOTE="Harry-SZ, post: 137555559, member: 6418"]Hello, I just bought this great classic Fiat and was wondering if there are more of these cars around.
    And does someone know how many of these have been built?

Mine is extra special because it is the only one known to exist that was based on a Fiat 124 S instead of a normal Fiat 124.
    So it features electric windows, different taillights, dash etc.

Here are some pictures :
    View attachment 694566
    View attachment 694567
    View attachment 694568 [/QUOTE]

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login