Any Fiat/Bertone X 1/9 owners here? | FerrariChat

Any Fiat/Bertone X 1/9 owners here?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by MITYRARE, Oct 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just purchased my wife a Bertone X 1/9 just three days after attending a Fiat Lancia meet/drive in Wisconsin....she saw a X 1/9 and immediately set me on a quest to find one...what a fun little car.

Beev

2. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    You should post a picture. My first car was a blue 1974 x1/9. I had it for years and sold it to a friend in Oklahoma. I have no idea where it is now. It was a great car. I drove it from Texas to Colorado and back on numerous occasions. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #3 Mang, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    crazy fun cars....I rode and drove around in a friend's x-19 for a year way back when, what a gas....car kinda fell apart though due to USE! He was playing poker one night and someone commented that a car was on fire and burning to the ground..he got up, looked out the window, recognized it as his...and returned to play out his hand! FTW!

I opted for a 124 Spider...it fell apart a little slower :/

4. paul328

paul328 Formula Junior

May 5, 2009
    Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Santoni
    I have had quite a few x'ys! Had one for last 18 years being a last of UK spec limited edition ones.
    I think they are great cars. Fun to drive and a real sports car without having the ability to put you in prison for speeding!
    I lowered mine back to 1300 spec springs and put koni dmapers and different size yokahams on fron and back and it handles really well!
    Have fun and drive it all the time with the roof off!
    Paul
    Scotland
    UK

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #5 El Wayne, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Congratulations!

My first car was an orange '75. Not only slow, but reeeal slooooooow. Though the acceleration was dismal, it handled like a 308GT/4 - or better! Even on those skinny tires, that thing cornered like a go-cart.

It was NOT trouble-free. You might fair better if you picked up one of the later cars but, even then, expect to do some tinkering.

Btw, how about some pics?

6. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #6 MITYRARE, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. x19er

x19er Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Pleasant View, UT
    Full Name:
    John Lagerquist
    I have had x1/9's since I got my license about 25 years ago. My current one I have had for 10 years, it's an '86 that I have modified with a coil-over suspension sway bars and some tasteful engine mods. It handles like nothing else I have ever driven.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I had a 1974 Fiat 124 sport back in 1976 (my first car ever)......never found an X1/9 that I liked, color wise that is. I remember when they were new....they'd sit on the dealer's lot here in Calgary with rust on them. Hardly confidence inspiring.........my 124 was no better. Wish I could have bought one, they were all metallic lime green, or gold, or this ugly silver shade......they never had a red or blue one for sale.

I bought a TR-8 convertible instead........big mistake.

9. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    #9 dipstick1, Oct 12, 2009
  10. Gary GT

Gary GT Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    Reidsville, NC
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Seeing the photos really brings back memories. My best friend in high school bought a red X 1/9 in the late '70s and it was a blast to ride around in.

Gary

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    We had a green (not the dark, the lighter "lime") one - I think it was a '76, can't remember. It was my dad's, and he owned it until my older brother could drive. I was about 16 at the time. I had a matching model - larger scale Corgi or Matchbox.

The car was a dog - in terms of quality and it's performance, and this car was mint (he was the second owner). Time heals all wounds though, and I'd love to have one just as a reminder of my childhood!

12. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
  13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I had a '74 bought used in early '77. Still miss that car and would buy another '74 today if I could find a good one. Hate the bumpers on all of the later ones. What a great ride that thing was and I loved it because it would always put a grin on my face. Not too many problems at least not that haven't been dimmed to happy memories by the time that has passed.
    Best memories strangely enough are from snow covered roads: I remember sitting at the bottom of a long steep hill waiting for someone higher up to get out of the way. Some guy in a Volvo gunned around me, got halfway up the hill and lost it ending up with wheels in a ditch. I then calmly motored up the hill past him and went on my way. On another empty snow covered hill I went up rally style steering the back end with the throttle and counter steering the front to the applause of a couple of pedestrians - felt like Munari winning the Monte Carlo.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I love that little car and have always wanted one.

I will buy the first good one that gets anywhere near me. Anyone selling?

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Arrrrrgh!
    I finally find a '74 on Fleabay....

and somebody put bumpers from a '78 on it! Can't deal with the ladder bumpers!

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Went for only $1600. I could have paid for that with change from the ashtray in my Bentley!

17. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #17 Fan512bbi, Nov 1, 2009
  18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
  19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Had one in the 70's and it was a car you could literally watch rust before your eyes! Got rid of it in 1 yr. after buying new @ a dime sized area rusted through top of the right front fender. Air conditioner never worked as it constanly blew fuses and dealer was not able to fix. When it ran it did handle.
    Docf

20. Phantom

Phantom Karting

Nov 11, 2006
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Charn G.
    #20 Phantom, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  21. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    #21 BLUROAD, Dec 8, 2009
  22. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Owned a '74 :)

23. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    #23 Radiopilot, Dec 10, 2009
  24. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #24 MITYRARE, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    Nice cars guys.....and WOW.... those sweet spiders!!!

After purchasing my wife's X 1/9, I immediately sent it to my local ferrari shop where they replaced the crank, bearings, thrust, clutch, slave, waterpump, wires, plugs, rebuilt all the brakes, new MOMO steering wheel etc etc etc ...generally a real good mechanical reconditioning so that wifey will have dependable fun in her summer car.

I stopped by the shop today and watched her fire up for the first time since we bought the car and delivered it to the shop some many weeks ago now.

Love the exhaust note....baby Ferrari for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldq297BN0Oc

Beev

25. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Followed a very nice X1/9 through Greenwich village last weekend. Lovely little car.