Pantera Appreciation thread | FerrariChat

Pantera Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bounty, Mar 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    –noun
    gratitude; thankful recognition: They showed their appreciation by giving him a gold watch.
    the act of estimating the qualities of things and giving them their proper val

I'd like to focus on the second definition for this thread. The first definition is a given. Who doesn't love the Pantera? Anyone? Bueller? *crickets* Okay, got that out of the way. Oh wait, who is that with their hand up back there? "Let's hang em!"

Okay, sorry for the silliness. Do you members think that the Pantera will appreciate over the next decade? Thanks. I think these vehicles are starting to come back in popularity in a big way. Am I wrong?

2. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Been waiting for the right 5S for a long time now. Baddest car on the planet in my opinion. I don't think they will sky rocket very much for the same reason that makes them so great though. I would take one over anything that was ever made in a heartbeat though. The new forthcoming Pantera will certainly generate interest in these cars though.

3. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Forthcoming Pantera?

4. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
  5. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Panteras were a school boy's wet dream back in the day and I still get a major woody from a clean example. But these cars need a lot of sorting to get them "right." But once sorted... they are still cramped and loud with a tendency to lift their nose at speed.

If my garage was large enough to include all my dream cars, a Pantera would be in there.

Scott

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

simply obscene!!!! completely nsfw!!!!

what modern car looks as killer as a bad ass pantera?

answer: NOTHING!!!!!

7. Pantera72

Pantera72 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    #7 Pantera72, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    peterp, Mang and Anthony James like this.
  8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Pantera very good, DeTomaso the worst engineer and business man of the era.

9. Pantera72

Pantera72 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    #9 Pantera72, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    Scott,
    If not neglected the Pantera needs very little to sort out. Most of the minimal sorting out should have been done years ago. Panteras are now almost 40 years old. And like any vehicle needs regular servicing. The problems begin when people ignore normal maintenance.

Cramped compared to what? I know several Pantera owners who are over 6’2”. The loud noise from the “Cleveland Symphony” is awesome. When in 5th the car is relatively quiet and pleasant on the highway trips. As far as front end lift at speed, I have had mine over 140 (and still climbing) with no lift experienced. The car was rock solid.

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    At 170 they tend to flip over.........This was demonstrated in Nevada a few years back, 150 MPH is a good top end speed:)

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    those are gorgeous Pre 'L' Panteras fellas!! I am a big fan of the 10" and 8" Campy's, that is the BEST look of all when it comes to wheels in my opinion and the Pre 'L' is my fave variant :)

peterp likes this.
  12. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Sadly that Pantera is only mine in my dreams. :D

It is for sale too...

13. ParaPantera

ParaPantera Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Ron Hyde

Appreciate? Well, typicially Pantera's have appreciated an average of 3% a year, but the prices also fluctuate with the economy as most other "toys" do. Would I buy one as an investment, NO! The reasons I bought one are many, but the three big hitters were. 1) These cars are VERY under valued in the what you get in the per dollar catagory. 2) Buying an exotic and maintaining one are two different things, I can not think of another car in this class that is more affordable to maintain, my "cost" has been MAYBE $500 a year and that is just becasue I change all the fluids regularly. 3) The days of depreciation are long gone, if you take care of your Pantera, your Pantera will take care of you.

14. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for your response. I'm still a ways off, but it seems like the Pantera may be the perfect car to drive around for a few years with minimal maintenance costs and you could sell it without losing your shirt like you would most modern cars, yet completely fills and sooths that exotic part of my soul that craves.

15. ParaPantera

ParaPantera Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Ron Hyde
    The chassis and suspension were engineered by Dallara after his stint at Lamborghini. He also designed the F1 chassis for De Tomaso for the 1970 season in which Piers Courage was killed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Courage , De Tomaso never raced in F1 again and in 1972 Dallara left and formed his own company. http://www.dallara.it/

16. ParaPantera

ParaPantera Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Ron Hyde
  17. ParaPantera

ParaPantera Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Ron Hyde
    You nailed it! That is exactly what a Pantera does.

18. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
  19. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell

The Panthera rendering, based on the Gallardo, was done by Stefan Schulze in 2007, as nothing more than a 3D design exercise. Since then several auto blogs have claimed this render to be "the new Pantera". Sadly, this is not to be.

It is true that ex-Fiat exec Gian Mario Rossignolo bought the DeTomaso company in late 2009 and it has been reported that he intends to build three models with a construction technique he calls Univis, an aluminium space-frame technology requiring only 30 dies to build a car. One of the models planned is a 2-seat sports car. This car may indeed be called the Pantera, but it won't be the Panthera, based on the Gallardo.

20. #20 EarlyCat, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Panteras are great cars. They are fairly easy to work on as well. Mildly, and I mean mildly modified, will pull off a zero to 60 in under 4.5 seconds, and some in first gear : ) .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Did he have a lisp?

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    oh really??? that black car is SWEET, what is the story, where can I buy it? :D

no room, no money, but I want it!

23. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    You have a PM.

24. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It seems we can all count on you to point out all things negative whenever there is a DeTomaso post.

As for the comment itself, I've never heard DeTomaso referred to as an engineer. On his business...he actually has a reputation as a very shrewd and successful businessman. His acquisition of Maserati and subsequent profit upon sale to FIAT is so legendary, the story sounds fake the first time you hear it, but it's not.

Stock they stopped at 160, so anything past that would be a modification. And any high speed modifications should also have some consideration for stability. Most people install a chin spoiler to keep the nose down. Gary Hall is on video going over 200mph in his, and it did not flip over, because he made the correct modifications.

25. ParaPantera

ParaPantera Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Ron Hyde
    Let us not forget his aquisitions of Moto Guzzi and Benelli as well.