Fiat 500 US Market | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 US Market

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Pav, Sep 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    #1 Pav, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 500 will be available from this fall in the US in three versions: Sport, Pop and Lounge. The convertible 500C would be available from the beginning of 2011.

There will be a "Sport" kit available for it as well, as shown in the pictures below (as you notice, there are only a few differences in styling between the EU spec and US spec.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I see you found the same info as I did!
    First Pics, US Spec Fiat 500 (?)

Sure looks that way. Left hand drive, orange front fender reflector.
    Looks more agressive (if such a word can be applied to a 500 :p )
    I like.
    Red...like the one I pre ordered.

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1049315_2011-fiat-500-sport-first-look_gallery-1#100321480

The Fiat 500 is just over two months from retail sale here in the U.S., and now Chrysler has revealed the first image of the new car in Sport trim. We've already known the 500 would get an upgraded platform for the U.S., and that up to four different models would be sold, but this is our first glimpse of the actual U.S.-spec car.

The photos come from @FiatUSA on Twitter, and unsurprisingly it looks like a Fiat 500. No real differences are immediately apparent, though Fiat says the car has an upgraded exterior, including 16-inch alloy wheels which give the little car a tougher stance to match the larger grilles, slightly flared fenders and unique front and rear fascia. Performance red brake calipers, chromed exhaust tips, and gloss-black shadow-line window trim, plus a redesigned lower side sill and available SkyDome power sunroof complete the aesthetic treatment.

Power specs for the new 500 Sport haven't been released, though Fiat says it's powered by a 1.4-liter Multiair turbocharged four-cylinder. A "sport tuned" suspension should give the 500 Sport a bit more bite than the standard car, and the whole package may add up to one of the most fun small hatches available. The Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 will certainly have some competition, at the least.

The Sport will be followed by three other models, the 500 Pop, 500 Lounge, and 500C cabrio. The Cabrio will come in early 2011, while the other three models will arrive by the end of the year.

Orders for the 500 will start sometime in December.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've made the list for the Prima Edizione. They say that I'm getting s/n 308. Fingers crossed.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #4 WILLIAM H, Sep 18, 2010
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    The marketing of this car is terrible. I can never find any official information on it. The website is usless. It says nothing. It doesn't even say WHEN it will say SOMETHING.

When I was interested in Mini before they came to the us, you could find out everything about the car well in advance.... how much it cost, who the dealers were going to be, what colors it came in, specs, options, etc.

The Fiat 500.... NOTHING -- officially anyway. And it's supposed to be unveiled in 6 weeks?

This is a major introduction for them and they can't even pre-market the car with an official website? As far as I can tell, they haven't even given it an official name yet.

I google Fiat 500 Los Angeles dealer. I get... NOTHING. So, there's no one who knows who is going to sell them in LA?

Go to Chyrsler's official website. NOTHING. As far as they are concerned, they never heard of "Fiat".

So far, I'm not impressed. If they can't get their act together before the LA Auto show, the event is just going to be a big waste. People today will not respond well to "I don't know" as an answer.

Someone needs to tell these guys to get their act together.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I email my local Chyrsler dealership:

Dear Sirs:

Will you be selling the Fiat 500 car? I can get no information on it and I believe it goes on sale in 2 months. Will it be at the LA Auto show? Is there someone I can contact about it?

Thank you.

Here is the response, short and sweet:

Sorry we have no information at this time.

WTF?

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :(

"local" dealer = LA or Vegas?

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Torrance.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Dealers haven't yet been selected, which is part of the problem. The show is being driven from Italy and the formal marketing plan has not been rolled down the ladder yet. Some old school Chrysler people really don't get why people want this car. That's not helping.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Fiat is trying to do this right. They do not want old school Chrysler dealers. They do not want people walking in to the local dealer and have some snake oil salesman saying, "What oh yeah, Fiat? Vinny handles that. Tom, is Vinny in today?" "No?" "Sorry." "Have you checked out the Patriot, though?"

No, they want the dealers who want to sell the cars and at least act knowledgeable and like they give a ****.
    Hence, since no dealer (as far as we know) has been given the nod yet, "we have no information" is the best they can say. Especially if they suspect they will not be selling the cars. Why even talk them up?
    All in good time, Fiat will roll out all info. They sell all they can make in the rest of the world. Time will tell what will happen here.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ok, I understand that. HOWEVER, the car is supposed to be unveiled in 2 months at the LA Auto show. LA and California will be one of their biggest markets (it was at first for Mini also). I can't understand why they can announce they will have 165 US dealers and not announce who they are. Certainly, they must have a list.

Second, why no official website info?

Like I said, the pre- marketing has been really poor and very frustrating. Compared to Mini and Scion, these guys have a long way to go to be anything but a niche player in the small car business.

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Agreed on those points, we are all starved for more info. Fiat was never known for great marketing in the USA. Hope that changes...soon.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #13 frefan, Sep 19, 2010
  14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You are right, the Abarth should be fun as hell...so says a friend of mine who drove it.

15. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Abarth looks and sounds like an awesome package! The non-Abarth 500 looks like a New Beetle that has "had work done".

16. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What will the price point be for the Sport? I would be interested in one for a fun driver car. Maybe the occaisional qwerky track day.

17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Even though it is Chrysler who I suppose could be considered the captive domestic, they never were very good at pushing foreign tin even though the cars they had were substantially superior to the Hamtramck sleds. Okay, the Cricket and Sapporo weren't exactly five star, but those first Colts were well made and quick in their class, the Simca 1204 was equally exceptional. With any kind of marketing, those cars would have sold very well, Chrysler and their dealer network treated them the same way they viewed them, low margin.

We'll see if anything has changed in a few months ;).

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My deposit accepted by Fiat. S/N 308 will be a white one.

If you are interested, get on the wait list here.

https://www.ciaofiat500.com/

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
  21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very cool s/n; congrats!

22. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    S/N 432 here. Rosso. :)

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great. I have number 499. Red.

24. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    I had a shot at a slot for one of the first 500, but I only want an Abarth, not a standard car. Does anyone know if there is a way to reserve an Abarth slot, or do we have to wait until the dealers are up and going?

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Congrats, Judge.

It will be fantastic to see a hot, fun little Italian car on the roads. I really hope they succeed with this one.