New Campagnolo wheels being made | FerrariChat

New Campagnolo wheels being made

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by californiapantera, Oct 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. californiapantera

Aug 26, 2010
    New Campagnolo wheels

In Frank’s thread on the CGT, there was some discussion regarding the old Campagnolo wheel molds and the possibility of new-build Campagnolo wheels for the Italian marques.

The current owner of the molds is an Italian named Cesare Magistrali. He is soon to cast reproduction Campy wheels for the GR4 Pantera; sizes that were rare in the day and nearly unobtainium currently. If you are serious about finding historical Campagnolo wheels, he is the man to contact.

Patrick Halls, a Belgium who currently campaigns several Panteras in European vintage racing is working with Cesare and has vouched for Cesare’s reliability.

The following two recent posts are from the POCA email forum:

------------------------First post:

Got an update from Cesare in Italy, the fellow who bought all the Campagnolo wheel molds and is apparently behind the production of the new 15x10 Pantera GTS
    wheels.

He wrote:

Ciao Mike,
    I'm Cesare from Italy, How are You?

Here we are ready in this next monday for goes in foundry , we have finisch our work on Pantera Gr4 mould . We make some samplese x sizes and use for x ray inspection and test for mechanical characteristics. After that we complete the mould for cast . I think who in half/end of October we start the production of Gr4 wheels , in 10 x 15 front, and 13/14 rear. We make also the possibility to cast the wheels who are on Campagnolo Drawing , but never produced ( I have this information) 8-9 x 15front and 10 x 15 rear Gr4
    We have some order now and I want to ask please if You can inform the Member of POCA about our Job, because after Pantera we start to work on Mangusta mould
    ( Mangusta International ask us the exclusive for North America ) and when mould it's ready we cast the mangusta wheels in 7-7,5-8-8,5-10- 11 x 15 wheels I don't know when we can cast again Gr4 , also more wheels we can work more good prices we can offer.

I want to send pictures of De Tomaso Campagnolo Drawing for ask if You know what car is ......Anglia dated 1965! I don't know...I'm asking also to ex Employed in Modena!

All The Best
    Cesare Magistrali

______

The drawings he sent were from 1965, and were for the little-known De Tomaso 105. Ever hear of it?

De Tomaso decided to get into the Lotus Cortina business, and he built a Ford Cortina-based car that was very similar in specification to the Lotus Cortina, but with an Italianate flavor. It featured a heavily tuned engine (using lessons learned from producing racing Vallelungas), suspension tweaks, unique De Tomaso badging, and these lovely little Campagnolo wheels (13-inch I believe). I only have a handful of poor photos of one car, and it's possible that only one car was ever produced, as De Tomaso was fond of making a big splash in the media, announcing the production of a new car, and then fizzling out.

Anyway. It's great news that Cesare is putting these ultra-rare De Tomaso wheels back into production. I advised him to concentrate on those wheels that would have a market, i.e. Gr4/GT5 wheels in 15x10 and 15x14 (who would buy 15x13 wheels when you can get 15x14 for the same price?), and 15x10 Mangusta wheels.

Does anybody know if the 15x8 wheel will fit on the front of a Mangusta? While it's common to move the 8-inch wheels to the front of a Pantera, I don't know if Mangusta sheetmetal will support such an endeavor? If not, then he would probably be better off concentrating on only making 15x10 and 15x7 wheels, I think.

Mike

------ Second post:

Hi guys,

My mistake--the guy in Italy who is producing the new Pantera wheels is NOT the same outfit in Italy (http://www.rointechnology.com/eng/index_eng.html) we discussed a couple of weeks ago who is producing the new 10-inch Campagnolo wheels in aluminum. I asked him for clarification and he wrote:

Cesare wrote:

Ciao Mike,
    Tanck You !!!

No I'm not selling wheels in Aluminium now !!!
    1.600€ for aluminium wheels it's very expencive ! I can produce aluminium Pantera Gts 10" x 15 at near 800/900€ eac

But if he sell the rear 10 x 15 need to make also the front in Aluminium !!! How to drive car with front wheels in magnesium (near half wheight of ALU) and rear ALU !!! Tecnically it's not correct , balance of car will be change alot, sorry Mike but Pantera it's not as Simca !!! I can't do that !!!

I produce also in this months some sets of Gr4 in Aluminium , but I explane to customer who if they are usually drive Panteras with MAG wheels , when fit ALU car it's not the same !!!

I do that some years ago for Lancia Stratos in 8 " front and 12" rear , I try to explane BEFORE , no way they prefere ALU for save money , than after fitted ALU wheels on Stratos , they call to have soon , soon as possible the MAG !!! They don't save money , spend double !!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't like who peoples loose money , but Pantera and Mangusta it's not "CHEAP" thing's , it's Part of Car History , it's more than only say sport car ,exxellence is first and foremost!!

Gr4 8" front and 10" rear we made for a Team in Modena who race with Pantera Gr4 and they push a lot to have these wheels because for his test on circuit the want to use these size.
    I never test the Gr4 on track , but same append with Lancia Stratos , Stratos mould can produce 7/8/9/10 front 11/12/13/14/15 rear but Sandro Munari testing the car ask to use on dry only 8 front and 12 rear , a lot of less friction for the tyre , car take easy more speed and acelleration , and the Stratos Siluette for Track racing he use more large wheels but stratos lenght it's half than panteras , when You open the gas car it's difficolt to controll ( track racing car it's twin Turbos)

After produce Gr4 I start with Mangusta mould and I will be able with drawing to adapt without change design and shape , 8" wheels for fit on front !!!!

Tanck You Mike !!!
    You give me help in all Your Unswer !!!
    All The Best
    Cesare Magistrali

--------------------

I can’t find a direct email for Cesare, but he does have a Facebook page and shows up several times with a Google search.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Cesare-Magistrali/1540820035

Hope this is of help to some of you in your search for new-build Campagnolo wheels.

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    What is the CGT, and who is Frank?

Jay

3. californiapantera

Aug 26, 2010
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I am in contact with Cesare as well and have shown interest in the 10" rear Mangusta wheels that were on the prototype and on select DT racecars. I have given thought to the fact that my originals are magnesium and the reproductions will most likely be in aluminum (I would prefer magnesium!), but I would need a complete set as I would have two mag and two alu, if I just acquired rears. Anyway, hoping something comes up that works!

5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
  6. jarifinn

jarifinn Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jari Roikonen
    #6 jarifinn, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a set of old wheels for my P4 replica project, and was wandering what are they, copy's or real. Purchase this project over twenty year ago from Vincent Pumo (Eurospares)
    And its been sitting with me since now. Its rolling chassis with 15" speedline wheels underneath and this Campagnolos came with it as a wheels to use.
    There is a number cast on them 613700453 and it looks like its a same number on front and rear wheels. I believe they are magnesium alloy as the are very light weight.
    I am sure there is somebody here who can help with this issue and say whether the are usable candidates?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login