Abarth Experience | FerrariChat

Abarth Experience

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by lil squid, Aug 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Thanks Yuliya. Has anyone heard if this is continued in 2013, and if so, when the schedule will be out. My dealer had no info and I bought after the track days closest to my area had already passed. I'm not opposed to flying out to do it somewhere else, but would prefer to not have to spend a ton to do this.

Mark

3. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    No way to know for certain, but I suspect they will continue as a special Abarth perk to differentiate it from regular 500s.

4. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cool, I didn't know about this perk.

I wonder if they have the Pothole Avoider Experience for us lowly Sport owners. :eek: :D

5. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    LMAO!

6. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6rH6gI-GpU[/ame]

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I inquired directly to the folks at the Abarth Experience and was told that this perk will be offered to buyers of 2013 Abarths- expect new dates/venues to be announced in January.

9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Cool, thanks.

Mark

10. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
  11. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    You either forgot a smiley face or decided to mark your budding Fchat career by trolling. Careful lest it suddenly gets cut short ;)

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    you're so subtle :D ...oh, and some abarth content, funny to see jay drive like a hoon in the opening! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywmtrrFf4xo&feature=channel&list=UL[/ame]

13. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #13 lil squid, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    I conserve energy. Second punch is rarely necessary. Definition of trolling - posting in a thread for owners making fun of the car, no useful, helpful, or otherwise substantive contribution to the thread topic, post count 69 (hehe), conclusion: sole purpose - stir ****. Bannable offense per TOS.

And this is my exact car, 17" wheels included. :D

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i don't disagree, it was just an amusing reply :D

15. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I am on the schedule for 10/11 at TMS. Has anyone here actually gone through this yet? Looks like fun, I can't wait! :)

16. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    I am signed up for TMS as well but, even though it's my day off, looks like I'll have to cancel because of work conflict. Bummer. Tell us how it goes!

17. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Sorry to hear that. I will report back here!

18. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Wonder if they'll use the little infield course or will let you guys run the oval. Last time I rode the motorcycle there, it was on the infield course and I remember it being pretty tiny..

19. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #19 glenv6, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Abarth Experience at Texas Motor Speedway on Thursday was well attended, well organized and a lot of fun. FIAT must have brought 20 Abarths for us to drive, so broken machinery never an issue. Most of the 36 attendees were local, but there were a few from other states as well. One couple drove their Abarth 2400 miles from Portland, OR to attend! Enthusiasm was also never an issue.

The modules were Autocross, Drag Racing, and Road Racing. We started with breakfast and a briefing, then were split up into two groups of 18 for the rest of the day. As one group went through one module, the other group was doing a different module at another part of the track. The two groups competed for fastest Autocross time. My group won that competition and received an additional little door prize for our efforts.

The Drag Race was head to head between two cars within the same group. The course included a twist at the end which demanded a full stop in a box drawn out in paint on the road at the end of the short strip, then a short Autocross segment and another full stop in a box at the end. The two cars we were using were replaced mid-way through the module due to overheated clutches.

The Road Race module took place on the small infield track. It was a good mix of right and left hand turns and short straights. We were always with an instructor in the right seat. I have some time trail experience so in my case the instructor was very informative and did help me effectively drive the line fast.

As a free event for Abarth owners, this was well worth burning a vacation day from work. If the Abarth Experience is offered as a paid event, I would consider doing it again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    glenV6
    thanks for the report and the photos! I'm planning on doing a day in 2013 once they release the schedule in January.

What was your take on drag racing the Abarth?

21. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Well, I forgot to mention that they didn't allow ESP to be turned off or Sport Mode to be turned on during any of the modules. Despite all that, the car got off the line well and charged down the lane with authority. The hill hold was useful to prevent redlighting once the staging lights went out and the yellows started running down the tree. It was fairly easy to control wheel spin using the clutch off the line, and the car pulled strongly right up until I slammed on the brakes to skid to a complete stop in the box at the end of the short run. I think the Abarth would make a competitive and reliable 1/8 mile drag car if setup properly.

Hope that helps!

Glen

22. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    It still sounds like fun, although it might be MORE fun with sport mode. Thanks.

23. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Glen, glad you had fun! Sorry I couldn't join you. Did they allow people to run their personal Fiats? I was going to drive mine up from Houston.

24. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Hi Yuliya - You should definitely sign up for one of these, it was really good... We didn't have the opportunity to drive our cars, and that's a good thing. I would not have driven my car as hard as I drove theirs! We had lots of seat time in their cars.

25. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I did it at Englishtown Raceway in NJ back in August. Highly recommended....it's amazing how much they let you beat on their machines, especially during the drag race event!