Fiat Dino spider 2.0 or 2.4? | FerrariChat

Fiat Dino spider 2.0 or 2.4?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by philt68, Oct 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    I know everyone says the 2.4 is the one to get, but is there really such a huge difference?

2. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi Phil, here's a short of differences bewteen a 2.0 and a 2.4 Fiat Dino.

-The 2.0 was produced at FIAT, the 2.4 was assembled at Ferrari
    -The 2.0 is an aluminum block engine with valve shims placed under the bucket, the 2.4 have valve shims on on top of the bucket. Timing chain tensioners were altered on 2.4
    -The 2.0 has a solid rear axle, the 2.4 has an independant rear suspension.
    -The 2.0 has a Fiat 5 speed, the 2.4 has a ZF gearbox.

Most will tell you the 2.4 is a better car, that's strickly a matter of opinion like most things in life.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    the 2.4 was a iron block-aluminum head. better to live with.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Phil, be sure to look up entries for Fiat Dino's on Bring a Trailer, there is usually a wealth of knowledge on the comments on there...

5. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    thanks guys..very handy info....

what does a 2.4 go for, these days? one guy had one for 110k, which seems very high to me!

6. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Sounds high even for a Monterrey or Amelia Island concours condition car. I remember looking at a 2.0 spider last year that was priced at ~$55k. From the pics, it appeared in beautiful driver level condition. Others will have better feedback, but I'd wager $40k-$65k depending on condition, possibly $80k for concours condition. Not aware of a material premium etc for 2.4 vs 2.0 but again, those who know better will hopefully chime in.

One on eBay now for ~$60k http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Fiat-Dino-Spider-/290785729792?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43b42e1d00, but it's a 2.0.

7. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Phil, call me. I've been on this hunt for a couple of years now and have LOTS to share. I intend to have one for the Copperstate. Don't you even think about it!!! Luv ya, Les

8. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The 2.0 spider was my first car. I had a 1967 specimen of the first lot with the aluminum dash and without the Dinoplex. A terrific car for an eighteen years old guy, but....the exuberant and crabby all-aluminum V6, equipped with 4 camshafts in the head, put in crisis the rear. The abundant power (160 HP at 7200 rev / min) delivered so little linear, the short wheelbase (2256 mm) and the archaic rear suspension geometry, made ​​the Dino a very nervous car. In addition, the aluminum base of the V6 suffered from the rapid changes in temperature, which tended to deform the cylinder bores. And the gearbox was a disaster: too lacking for that engine.

Recently i drove a 2.4: what a beautiful car to drive even 40 years later!
    The cast iron block, 20 HP more, the ZF gearbox and the independent rear suspension (derived from the Fiat 130) made the 2.4 a very different car. The 2.4 spider is quite rare (420 spiders produced at all). The price in Italy is high (about 90.000 euros), but not so high when many offer a 2.0 at 65-85.000 euros with some works to do.
    The spare parts are available in Italy and in the UK, no comment about the prices, but you can rebuilt the 90% of the car.

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Buy the best you can it will save you money in the long run, 80-100 K is the market, sure there are cheaper ones out there, it just depends on how well you want to know your mechanic.

10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Driving mine back from Virginia at this moment, will post some comments soon. Just passing Yuma now, 120 miles to go. Perfect car for the mountain Mille rally, not so perfect for wide open spaces, needs a sixth gear.
    Malcolm

11. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
  12. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The rear mirror and the exhausts aren't original, but the price is fair in my opinion.

13. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Can't you consider the Dino 2.4 Spider as much a Ferrari as a Dino 246 GT? If this is true then they should appreciate in the future.

14. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #14 malcolmb, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I swear I posted this before, but......
    If you have specific questions about the 2,4 I now have about 7000 miles on mine since it was rebuilt, including the Mountain Mille, and driving it home to San Diego last week
    Malcolm
    It is a great little car, lots of fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I couldn't agree more. The Dino spyder is a spectacular car. I have a very late 1972 model, along with 2 Ferrari Dino's. They are all very fun to drive, but the full convertible, and rarity make the Fiat makes it special. The prices have always been far behind the Ferrari for reasons I can not understand. Neither car has the word ferrari anywhere on it, both were made at the Ferrari factory in Modena ( in fact on the same line ), and both are spectacular looking. In my opinion the Fiat will have its day. I think that the problem is that a number of the Fiats were poorly restored or are in poor unrestored condition. The parts are available at a reasonable cost, but the labor costs and time are significant.

16. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    You made my point - they were designed by the same engineers and made on the same manufacturing line and the Fiat Spider is in the same league for looks as the Dino 246 GT IMO.

17. jfink

jfink Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2013
    Charlottesville, va
    Full Name:
    jon fink
    #17 jfink, Jun 20, 2013
    Hi Folks,

New here and wanted to place a comment on the Fiat Dino Spiders. I have owned both a 2.0 and a 2.4. Restored the latter.

The 2.4 cars have a much better build quality as they were assembled in the Ferrari plant. Mine is a 1971 BS 00001397 and still has absolutely no rattles. For so many years they were dissed by ferrari afficionandos. Realty for me is I like the engine in front of me, the car makes a lovely sound and the ZF transmission is quite robust. They are beginning to be recognized for their value.

The 2.4 Fiat dino spiders are fairly rare with 424 being built over a 4 year period. A good one will now bring well above 100K a great one near 130-140K.

I also have a 1985 Pininfarina spider ( 186 built) and am near my capture of a true barn find 275 GTS.

If any of you live on the east coast and would like to see my Dino, I live in Virginia. my car is not for sale, but if you have an interest in one you are welcome to see mine which is a good example.

a 2.0 spider is good, but 2.4 is loads better. As always with any exotic, buy the best one you can...it will be cheaper in the long run

best, jon

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very nice! We have a 2.4 which we restored and really enjoy.

19. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    #19 labcars, Jun 21, 2013
    Jon, that's a beauty!!! Here are a couple of bad cellphone pics of my 2.4. Same color as the one on the cover of Mike Morris' book.
    best, Les

20. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Does anyone have, can supply or point me to a diagram of the 2.0 fiat Dino vacuum assist accumulator tubing for the brake booster? I know that there was an vacuum accumulator tank behind the front bumper, but I do not know how all of the lines were run. Were there any check valves? I have to replace this system as it has been removed and the vacuum lines run directly from the engine to the booster resulting in booster failure and a pulsing pedal.
    Thanks in advance.

21. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a 2.0. I believe it's one check valve leading into the booster and vacuum tank tied together.

22. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a 2.0 spyder. Some of the things listed as "dis-advantages", I actually like / prefer. ie, I think the aluminum block is very special. How many "Ferrari's" use cast iron blocks? The density of Aluminum is 2.70 Vs 7.87 for Iron, so there's a weight penalty for those 20 horses. Also, I love the knock-offs. IMHO, this is something found on the sweetest classic Ferrari's. I'm very seriously contemplating some Borrani wire wheels. In the book, "Fiat Dino Ferrari by Another Name", by Mike Morris, there's variants on these cars, and the knock-offs with Borrani (to me) are shown and go very well. It has that 330 / 275 spyder character looking sharp with the chrome bumpers and window trim I love about the classic Italian sports cars. When I bought mine, I sought out the 2.0 for the aforementioned reasons.

Having looked over the 2.4 cars. There are things to appreciate - absolutely. I love the refinements like the stays for the hood and trunk. On the 2.0, it's a little prop rod with retun spring, on the 2.4, it's the english style slide which locks on opening, and you raise further to retract the lock. Also, I like the IRS. It makes handling more predictable. The rear axle design of the 2.0 adds charcter to the handling, and I wouldn't say all bad from the fun-to-drive perspective.

Also - a last point on the two engines. Keep in mind these engines are ~ 45 years old, and by modern standards, s l o w. My BMW wagon and MB sedan cars will put these in the rear view mirror pretty easily.

23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    But no BMW has a sound as wild as the Dino. There is nothing like the Dino's burble or shrill at RPM. Every stoplight is a symphony of sound for the Dino driver.

24. Borzacchini Jr

Jun 7, 2013
    The difference between FIAT Dino Spider 2000 and 2400 are explained previously in this forum. I have owned 2000 and it was not absolutely a Ferrari. Dino 206 /Ferrari produced/ was completely different car in any sense /much better quality/ and there is no story about it. Fiat Dino 2000 suffered in city traffic /overheating/ and was not a racer out of town. It had ridiculous rear suspension for it's ambitious engine, nervous handling, but also excellent brakes later used for Miura. Dino 206 and 246 were another planet, among the best road going cars in the period. Anyhow, they were /all/ beautifully tailored and their shape is nice and thrilling even today. In 1972 I have sold mine for 3 500 000 Lit.

25. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Many thanks for your reply! I assume that there are metal lines running from the manifold, down to the check valve at the tank and another line running back to the booster. I have purchased a tank, but need to know the routing of the lines as they are missing. Do you know if SuperPerformance can supply the check valve? Thanks.